Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

The fact that Fox sports 1 Destroyed speed channel and Now fox has hard to read racing leader box it was better when they had the ticker type leader box streaming at the top of the screen. That small white print box they use now is just to darn small and you can't read it. Having 200 + channels on t.v. and nothing and I do mean Nothing decent to watch. T.V. land was good until they started making their own "new show's" CMT(country music Televison) No real music anymore there. Just like the nashville network went then changed to spike. Court tv became True T.V. I guess they can't help them selves from changing into well you all know.

As a licensed electrician I am always amused by the people who ask for wiring help from the 18 year old kid at the depot or lowes. And by amused I mean scared. If you have to ask some of these questions you should probably leave the job to someone qualified so your home doesn't end up a charred pile of rubble.

Yup. My last ex went to Home Depot to get installation materials to put a new gas stove in her kitchen. Everything she brought back was wrong, from the fittings to the hose to the pipe sealant. i said I'd go back to the store and exchange it all for the right stuff. She went off on ME, screaming she'd asked the person there and he told her the RIGHT things to get, that he worked there and MUST know better than I did, that I had a real ego problem always having to be right, and that she'd just call a plumber who KNEW HOW TO USE THE RIGHT THINGS SHE ALREADY HAD!!!

The plumber just laughed at her, told her the same thing I had, and refused to do the install.

My "better half" is left handed, but she's always right.

My ex-half was right-handed as was I and everyone in our families on both sides.

Being an NEA teacher, she got it in her osterized head that being a "lefty" was better than being a "righty." So, she undertook a self-imposed mission of converting our right-handed son to being a "lefty." He had a very confused, but somewhat ambidextrous childhood, doing neither well, and his handwriting is still far from legible (and he's not a doctor, so he can't get away with it).

Yeah, I blame her.

She went off on ME, screaming she'd asked the person there and he told her the RIGHT things to get, that he worked there and MUST know better than I did, that I had a real ego problem always having to be right, and that she'd just call a plumber who KNEW HOW TO USE THE RIGHT THINGS SHE ALREADY HAD!!!

The plumber just laughed at her, told her the same thing I had, and refused to do the install.

Whew, Thank the lord it is not only me that lives in this land of He Said, so She Said... it must be wrong".

I recall my father not only talking about schools "correcting" left handed student. BUT, they also tried to correct my Dad's name. It is Tommy on his birth certificate, not Thomas. They required him to write Thomas, right handed.

I remember cranky old nuns refusing to call anyone by a non-biblical name. So Peggy became her formal name, Margaret. There was one girl whose name was Dale.. the nuns were probably convinced she was going to hell for that! So they tried to give her a new name to their liking. Dale's parents had a fit, so the nuns compromise was to call her "Miss Cook". Those nuns would have a coronary with kids names today..

I know the feeling. I went in a couple of days ago for a chalk box. No checkers and the self checkout, which I hate, were all busy with people waiting. I put it back and walked out-was so not in the mood.

I refuse to use the self check out. I always go to a cashier. When some store guy tries to move me over to them to show me 'how easy' it is, I tell them I didn't sign up to be a cashier and if I wanted to be one, I would have applied for the job. That usually shuts them up.

I refuse to use the self check out. I always go to a cashier. When some store guy tries to move me over to them to show me 'how easy' it is, I tell them I didn't sign up to be a cashier and if I wanted to be one, I would have applied for the job. That usually shuts them up.

Just the opposite for me, especially if I have only a few items. It's always way faster to check out yourself than stand in the "express lane" behind people who don't understand (or don't care) what "15 items or less" means, and cashiers who don't have the guts to tell people they're in the wrong lane and need to move to one of the "regular" checkout lanes. At Walmart in particular, the cashier checkout lines are always a mile long, but at the self-checkout area (they have about 10 separate stations) there's usually no waiting at all.

I don't know how many times I've waited behind one of those "Express lane rule doesn't apply to me" types and told the checker that if they don't enforce the rule, there's no point in having an "express lane."

As far as I'm concerned, the self-checkout thing couldn't have come sooner! I love it!

Us leftys will all be leaving on the mother ship when it comes. Shhhhh.

Actually I like being a lefty. It made me partially ambidexterious. It helps to have a additional coordinated hand when building stuff.

Clerks.

I like the check out clerk because that is one more employed person who I am justifying. Clerks who can't help. Well ummm...

Today's gripe

Our cars got broken into last night. Sitting in our long driveway, right below our bedroom window. The dogs were inside and did not make a peep.

They took the remote to the driveway gate, which I had left open (duh!), the key to the mailbox, and Nani's Ipod. The gate was easily reprogrammed. The key was a pain. Our mail is on hold and the USPS charges 50 bucks to get the key replaced.

The robber smoked in the cars and left behind a butt and 1 house slipper. I gave it to the Sheriff when they came out. Sure they will do a fill DNA profile. Not. At least the Sheriff was sympathetic. He looking for a 1 shoed smoker listening to a pink Ipod.

Edited by Scott Colmer

I like self checkout. It's really fun to use at Home Depot and/or Lowe's because a clerk has to come over to verify my Veteran ID for the 10% discount.

I don't like self checkout. From my perspective retail cashiers get paid little enough that these money grubbing companies are looking to automate them, AKA make us do their work for free. Even at our supermarket, they have 4 stations and a clerk standing there like mother hen to fix the constant problems the people are having with the equipment. We all know the motivation is to cut costs, but they have the audacity to say that the self checkouts are there 'for my convenience'. Yea, they think we're stupid enough to believe it. It's one of those Tom Sawyer painting the fence things... next thing you know, they'll expect us to pump our own gas! :lol:

I don't like self checkout. From my perspective retail cashiers get paid little enough that these money grubbing companies are looking to automate them, AKA make us do their work for free.

Look at it from the business owner's perspective: either constantly pay salary and benefits to human cashiers... or buy a few self-checkout machines, and pay for them once. You may not like the DIY checkout idea, but it's a smart business move. I think if you were the guy in charge of making that decision, you'd agree.

Let's face it, these days the cashier does nothing more than scan your items. They don't have to key in the prices like in the old days, and change is made automatically if you're paying in cash. If you pay by card, you have to do all the "work" yourself anyway (swipe the card, enter PIN or sign, etc.)... so why pay humans to stand there and scan items when the customer can just as well scan their own items? It's a no-brainer as far as the business bottom line goes, and that's the point of every business... to maximize the bottom line.

I see more of these self-checkout lanes coming and fewer "live" checkout aisles.

You may have been joking, but the gas station analogy is the perfect example. Why pay people to pump the customers' gas when the customers can just as well pump their own?

You may have been joking, but the gas station analogy is the perfect example. Why pay people to pump the customers' gas when the customers can just as well pump their own?

Exactly..I couldn't imagine not pumping my own gas and paying at the pump.

Exactly..I couldn't imagine not pumping my own gas and paying at the pump.

I'm old enough to remember when they still pumped your gas and cleaned your windshield and gave you free glasses or dishes or whatever... and gas was less than a buck a gallon, and yet they still made a profit!

I lived in the city when I was younger, and I used to buy my gas at one of those "mega" stations with about 30 pumps. It was amazing to watch the attendant run from one customer to another, filling them up (or "five bucks worth" or whatever the customer wanted)... collecting the customers' money, making change with that little change machine they wore on their belt... the guys would be literally serving 5-6 different customers at a time! They were like those old-time plate spinners on the Ed Sullivan Show that kept a whole bunch of dinner plates spinning on vertical rods, running from one plate to another to keep them all spinning at the same time without any plate falling off its shaft.

Those attendants really earned their pay. Especially on those cold, windy Chicago winter days.

My first job while in high school was at a "service" station. My main job was pumping the fuel. If I remember right the gas was around 35 cents a gallon ( I may be wrong on that ). Anyway, yes in addition to pumping gas I had to clean the windows and check the oils and ask if they wanted to have me check the air in their tires. We did have promotions where we gave away something like glasses or dinnerware that would change every two weeks or so. When one of our deliveries of the new dinnerware was late you took your life in your hands telling the women coming in for gas. On top of that we had stamps we gave away. One page out of the book for every two dollars of gas. That was real fun when it rained and there wasn't a canopy over your head. It was a fun job however.

The fact that Fox sports 1 Destroyed speed channel and Now fox has hard to read racing leader box it was better when they had the ticker type leader box streaming at the top of the screen. That small white print box they use now is just to darn small and you can't read it. Having 200 + channels on t.v. and nothing and I do mean Nothing decent to watch. T.V. land was good until they started making their own "new show's" CMT(country music Televison) No real music anymore there. Just like the nashville network went then changed to spike. Court tv became True T.V. I guess they can't help them selves from changing into well you all know.

Yep! I Want my MTV! (back like it was 25 years ago) I'm convinced it now stands for Moron TV.