Model Cars Magazine Forum

No more Danbury Mint models?

Harry P.

I was on the DM site and saw that they only had a handful of models still on the site, so I wondered what was going on. I looked around the web and found this posted on another forum:

The story is that the Chinese producer for Danbury went bankrupt and was seized by the Chinese government who confiscated ALL of the current and future fixtures and dies for all of their diecast in production and future models. Several of the promised models (like a 1953 Ford 2 door hardtop) have been officially cancelled by Danbury. It is uncertain whether or not the dies have been destroyed, but DM claims not to have them. One can hope that DM does have the original specs and drawings. The diecast business is lucrative UNTIL you have a set back like this...having said that, the 1:24 market has been shrinking more than the larger and smaller scales. Danbury has been busy selling everything out of their warehouse and it is unknown whether or not they can find a new fabricator and then start all over from scratch producing new models - the old ones are probably a done deal. At this point, the future of DM diecast models is in question, but there is no credible evidence (from what I know) that they are at this time out of the diecast business.

Is this true? All of those amazing DM diecasts are gone?

It's hard to believe that the dozens and dozens of diecast models they offered are gone just like that! I mean, the investment $$$ alone... just gone? This is almost too incredible to believe.

I used to get a DM flyer in the mail every few weeks. Now that I think of it, it's been a long time since I got one. Maybe this really is true! :(

From Danbury's Facebook page:

Danbury Mint Die-Cast Cars

Earlier this year, our primary factory for die-cast replicas abruptly closed. Since then, we have been working to restart our die-cast business, essentially from scratch. This is a long and difficult process. We wish there was more encouraging information, but as of right now, we simply don't know when or whether we will be able to produce more cars. Thanks for your patience and understanding.
November 7 seems to have been their last post. This is from October. The phone number may glean some current information:
These 10 cars have 10 or less left. Call us to order 1-800-321-1964 (M-F, 9-5 ET).
Limited Edition 1970 Oldsmobile Rallye 350
1967 Camaro Indy 500 Pace Car
1969 Copo Camaro
1957 Chrysler 300C Custom
1957 Studebaker Custom
Tangerine Flake Streamline Baby
1966 Ford Mustang
Limited Edition 1936 Ford Cabriolet
1949 Ford Lead Sled
1969 Ford Mustang Boss 429

http://www.facebook.com/danburymintdiecastcars

Don't get your panties in a bunch. Confiscating and destroying are different animals. It would make no sense to destroy them when you can always ransom them back to the manufacturer, DM, or a third party.

They (Chinese government) probably just locked up the factory. Nevertheless, the fact DM is looking for another way to produce the kits leads to the belief that the molds may not be easily acquired? I have no idea how the Chinese government works (well, beyond layman knowledge), and I don't assume it would operate the same as our system (albeit, banks would be the confiscatory here). A government official might have a brother that wants to get into diecast cars ? ;)

Sad, but it sounds like almost exactly what happened to GMP and Biante. It's the cost of doing cheap business with the Chi-coms.

-MJS

On the other hand, if they had kept production in the US, wages and benefits would undoubtedly have meant much higher production costs and much higher retail prices... so sales might have been much less. You can't really blame them for having outsourced production to where the cost is so much lower.

On the other hand, if they had kept production in the US, wages and benefits would undoubtedly have meant much higher production costs and much higher retail prices... so sales might have been much less. You can't really blame them for having outsourced production to where the cost is so much lower.

To my knowledge, none of the GMP or Danbury cars have ever been made in the US.

This was posted on the Danbury's Facebook on Dec 28 .. but this car came out in like 2008 I think.

Danbury Mint Die-cast Cars:

Get a jumpstart! Watson T-Bird brochures just went out! Make sure you get yours http://bit.ly/Sw4f21

Guest G Holding

They (Chinese government) probably just locked up the factory. Nevertheless, the fact DM is looking for another way to produce the kits leads to the belief that the molds may not be easily acquired? I have no idea how the Chinese government works (well, beyond layman knowledge), and I don't assume it would operate the same as our system (albeit, banks would be the confiscatory here). A government official might have a brother that wants to get into diecast cars ? ;)

:rolleyes::rolleyes::lol:

I suspect $$$ will change hands, and business as usual, albeit with a new partnership arrangement :o:o

Edited by G Holding

Oh well . I do keep up with the splendid way the Chinese do business . Apparently I have to share . A U.S. Manufacture sends the Technology , dies & know how to a Large Corp in Japan . The U. S. Representatives encourage all U . S Manufactures to send all jobs overseas . Tax breaks and a landslide of other incentive's too large to resist by Corporate America . Hecky , everyone else is doing it . This lower cost of Labor is good . The good 'ole U S A does not have to deal with worker protection , unemployment benefits , EPA rules , environmental concerns , and .. the list goes on . Let the Chinese dirty their environment , Endanger their workforce , and kill off the excess mass of population for the benefit of their pursuit of world domination . Do you really think they are Capitalists ? No pesky retirement , health care , worker on the on the job protection . Especially Unions and demands for silly notion of higher wages .

All of this given to these people to produce for us is now the Property of the Chinese Government . The large Corp. now produces the Factories you saw (the US Corp) and sends you fine products . All of the sudden , the quality slips . You (the US Corp) send a Representative to fix the problems (just a short 25K + miles away . This fixer finds your Products are moved to a smaller Business (factory) not suited , trained or equipped to make a good product for you . Decision made by Communist Government to better utilize space of production . Now whattda you do ? Go back to the States , figure out a fix in the US and tell all of your Corporate buddies (you know , the Competition) how well your Partnership is going with the Chinese .

Unalterably you could close off this Partnership . Remember , all the rights , Tooling , Tech. are Property belong to the Chinese Government . At their pleasure . They take over making / marketing / owning what you surrendered to them . Or they could choose just to close up and ignore you . The metals in Model Making are in short supply . Could it be the DM mint's metals were needed in something more important to the Chinese ? Remember , this metal belongs to them along with all proproirtry . You know they are praying we eliminate our Guns and will be willing to work for less and give up the so unnecessary claim for freedom as they will own us (too late) . Then there will not be problems when we will work for them . There wont be any either way . Just ask their peasants . Of course you could dismiss me as unknowing . After it is IMHO after all . All I can say is if you don't believe look it up . I did . Those whom don't know History are condemned to repeat it . I have no problem that you dissagree . Good Luck to you DM . I did appreciate the fine products you sold . Maybe you will carry on in another spot in the World and the Chinese won't sue you for Corporate Espionage . They could need this metal ; some where else . Can you make a weapon with this metal ? For I am truly Blessed , I am an oldie in my life cycle . The truth scares me to no end . Thanx .,.

I don't know of any high end diecast cars ever manufactured in the US, they have been made somewhere else pretty much since the beginning, even the low end toy variety. How much more would it cost to make them here? I think we all know the answer to that, way too much for any meaningful sales. Too many reasons that we are all aware of, so the obvious answer is to find another source of cheap labor and no unions/pensions/401Ks paid holidays etc. to have to worry about - and quit giving China more cash for their already huge war machine. It's the American way.

-MJS

• 2 weeks later...