Model Cars Magazine Forum

Long Lost Love 78 II

webestang

Nice, nice, nice! I don't care what anybody says- II's are cool, and a lot closer to the original Mustang concept than the big-boned '71-73 models. Great looking model- sucks that you couldn't keep the real one, too. :(

Thanks.......!

I am going to change the tires.....I have some that look a lot better from a old MPC kit. I'll post the results.

Odd that on the real car the tops of the side marker lights are aligned with the trim strip... but on the model they're aligned with the trim strip at their bottoms. :blink:

I think it depends on the year and model. This was identified as being from the '78 catalog.

Picture28_zpscd480109.png

Edited by sjordan2

I think it depends on the year and model. This was identified as being from the '78 catalog.

Yes, you'e right.

I never liked that generation Mustang... but looking at that photo you posted, suddenly I'm seeing a pretty nice looking little car. I guess my opinion has changed!

Picture28_zpscd480109.png

I looked up some info as I was curious myself.......

Year but also...Trim level.....some have chrome trim on top, some on bottom, some have just the side markers with nothing else or the trim is painted like this one you show. Most of the "trim", like on my 78 1:1 Mustang II, was added at the dealer. But on my 1:1 the guy said he added the trim over the wheel wells.

There is also a vinyl strip trim (to match a vinyl roof) that was as thick as the markers and ran level in between them.

On the model kit I used the trim is on the bottom.....reissue AMT 77, I looked on a few old MPC kits and the trim line is level in the middle with the markers...and the MPC 1976 Mach 1 has no trim lines, just markers..!

Good eye......I never saw that....... :unsure:

Nice job on the Mustang II - they do look good in black.

As long as you're making a few changes, try these on for size:

post-12159-0-35885800-1383905601_thumb.j

Just copy the image and reduce it to fit. That 1/25 scale license plate site is pretty good, but the fonts don't match - and since you had a good copy of the plate on Photobucket, I thought it might be fun to try to match it. Hope you can use 'em!

Nice job on the Mustang II - they do look good in black.

As long as you're making a few changes, try these on for size:

attachicon.gif!1.jpg

Just copy the image and reduce it to fit. That 1/25 scale license plate site is pretty good, but the fonts don't match - and since you had a good copy of the plate on Photobucket, I thought it might be fun to try to match it. Hope you can use 'em!

WOW! Very cool! I will use those. Thanks!

Looking good Scotty, very nice II!! it's like deja vu!!

I know I really regretted trading my 1st Cobra II for an '84 GT hatch. But I did manage to buy another great '77 black-n-gold Cobra II that I've now owned since 1987.

Scotty, we should do a build project in honor of the 50th anniversary coming up.

???

Roy

Looking good Scotty, very nice II!! it's like deja vu!!

I know I really regretted trading my 1st Cobra II for an '84 GT hatch. But I did manage to buy another great '77 black-n-gold Cobra II that I've now owned since 1987.

Scotty, we should do a build project in honor of the 50th anniversary coming up.

???

Roy

We could do a CPB........50 Years of Pony's.......!!!!!