Model Cars Magazine Forum

2013 Cannonball Run CBP

Nick Winter

thanks for the heads-up on the missing pics jonathon, they're up now and i have a couple more to add...

got the first color coat on the outside, i'm pretty happy with it overall

0012_zpsada63964.jpg

0022_zps52b0a414.jpg

there is however this to fix

0032_zpsbf94fecd.jpg

looks like some water was hiding in the door jam...silly water <_< some light wet-sanding should fix it right up since this is only this first color coat.

More design options. I have received a modern Charger hood and rear wing from Fred Mckee. I cut the scoop from the hood. The wing will be modified a bit and will be lower, but I think it works well. The scoop looks great. Thoughts and opinions?

2013-06-13133836_zps649c8f7b.jpg

2013-06-13133701_zpsf106553b.jpg

2013-06-13133917_zps934248c7.jpg

2013-06-13133927_zps7d2d8082.jpg

been a while since I updated the cuda on here, ill simplify it in a small paragraph. Clear problems so I decided to buy a new kit for a new body(old body will get stripped later on)then got it painted and cleared and finished, the chassis is finished; all it needs is the rear end painted and I need to find some shocks for it. wheel and tire change to some convo pros and got it lowered.

103_0275_zps5714598b.jpg

103_0266_zpsbf275e84.jpg

103_0262_zps12c56098.jpg

103_0333_zps17509cce.jpg

Edited by Dragfreak

There is some Great work being done by everyone here.

Well, It's nearing the end of June, so I guess I should get my...self in gear and get started.

My build is inspired by a February 2012 article I saw in a model magazine.

I don't know what kind of green paint was that was used on the '66 AMT Mustang that I bought to use for parts was, but I couldn't strip it off no matter what I tried!!

Photo0534_zps8f9a9b3d.jpg

Photo0533_zps83ba0f3e.jpg

Edited by madhorseman

Photo0499_zps297336d5.jpg

It has been a while (see page 14) since I posted here Rob, I started with an AMT '67 Mustang fastback kit. Everything seems to be going alright, only bad thing so far is the side vent windows didn't survive the filing and grinding process to get the parts to mate.

Edited by madhorseman

only bad thing so far is the side vent windows didn't survive the filing and grinding process to get the parts to mate.

Which is why on similar projects I prefer to make the cut behind the windshield frame and mate the tops. The kit glass will fit right and the roof seam is easier to fill & work than fiddly detail areas. I like what I see though and am very interested in seeing this materialize.

Here's a quick run down on the GTX starting with a custom frame incorporating the Viper's front and rear end. The tires are from the Viper and the rims are from a 09 Challenger SE by Revell.

15479a5a-ea87-46a9-b7cb-f33923f857d5_zps

Did a far amount of modding to the body removing all emblems, window posts, trim along the wheel wells (to open them up a little), and the trim alone the bottom of the body. It can't be seen from the picture but I also recessed the gas cap so it's flush with the body. This idea was barrowed from the Daytona in Fast and Furious 6. The most notable change is in the grill, I shaved out the insides and replaced it with some wire mesh.

Post4Pic1_zpsab0aff13.jpg

I'm also changing the back end a bit. I'm going to body most of it in getting rid of the chrome, I think I'll leave the bumper chrome though. I'm also bringing the tail lights all the way across and relocating the back up lights into the bumper or something. I may put them in the center of the tail lights like a Challenger too, haven't decided yet.

Post5Pic3_zps7027202e.jpg

The body of a GTX has got a little bow to it, the roof however is flat so it doesn't really follow the body line it goes up hill a little towards the front. I always thought it looked a little off so I thought I'd change that on mine and lower the front just a little, not to give it an angry squinted look or anything, just lower it enough to keep it consistent with the body.

Now it should be noted that this is the first time I've ever tried lowering a roof and my inexperience showed. Using a lighter to warn the posts to bend them a little the plastic got to hot to quickly and curled all around. With one ruined I just cut the other side off and proceeded to make my own posts, hopefully I can make them look good, if not I'll have to locate another body. I wont be doing that again, at least not the way I did it.

Post65_zps70bfa48a.jpg

Anyway that's the past month in a nut shell for the GTX, the hot rod hasn't changed any, doing some planning right now mostly on colors.

Opinions, idea's, criticism it's all welcome.

Keep up the great work you guys! :)

Edited by TFchronos

• 3 weeks later...

Anybody get any building done ?? I have most of the painting done but haven't glued anything other than the engine halfs together. I've also had a few problems with my kit. After stripping the chrome off of some parts I managed to lose 1 of the carbs, also I noticed the engine doesn't have a water pump, alternator or any belts other than the blower. Seems I'm gonna have to raid my parts box when I finally get back home. I'll try to get the chassis together in the next few days and post some pics so you can see what you'll be up against.