Model Cars Magazine Forum

First build in years...

FASTBACK340

Thanks for the compliment!

The more I work on this simple project the more I'm remembering how things go wrong due to thinking too much. After assembling the interior I regret not foiling the painted on interior trim (more work....) or adding the other end of the seats belts from the seat back and add the mounting hardware on the floor(more work....) or removing the cast-in rear deck center speaker and re-finishing the deck (more work....) etc.

THIS is why we have so many started projects. I'm making a list of all the second-thoughts I'm having and I'll apply those details into the next eventual "epic" build we all attempt. This is supposed to be a quick build for the past 2 weeks..... I want to finish it.

Rant off. Back to the workbench.

• 2 weeks later...

Man, spare time has been slim! We're having one of the mildest winter's I can remember here in N.Y. and I seem to be running all over. This afternoon me & some friends are installing a set of dropped springs/shocks in his Del Sol. I can't ever remember doing car repairs VOLUNTARILY in JANUARY! So model time has taken a back seat.

All I've done so far is make a set of mufflers for the planned dual exhaust I'm making.

EdselMufflers005-vi.jpg

I have a post on how I made them in Tips & Tricks

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=53304

I'm following this thread with interest. What started out as a pre-painted simple build is turning into a master piece. So much for "quick build" lol, welcome back to the hobby! Can't wait to see one of your regular builds. Nice job so far. I really like your engine wireing.

• 1 year later...

OK, fast forward 15 months or so..... back to the Edsel.

As was originally planned as a way to ease back into building hit the wall last year. With house projects, work, playing with the 1:1 toy, family, etc. it sat & sat. I keep reading the forum and buying stuff, but the build stopped. Until this morning.

Me & the Wife went out shopping and stopped by the hobby shop. I couldn't resist and bought the `68 Hemi Dart kit. My ever supportive Wife smiled and asked how the Edsel was doing. Busted.... She suggested I finish it. She's right.

Basically lowered with a wheel/tire swap, disc brakes, and some detailing. Nothing too crazy. With all the killer builds going on it's getting me interested. I have to get back up to speed. EdselBody007-vi.jpg Just have to add all the little bits-n-pieces: lights, wipers,bumpers, etc.

Thanks Mark. I agree, a build is a build. Doesn't matter what you start with, it's what you do with it.

Heck, back in the day I won Best of Show @ the MAMA's NNL with a snap kit.....

Models_110015-vi.jpg

Wasn't this one in the "other guys" magazine some years back? If it is, it inspired me to build one very similar, mine is green. I thought the concept was excellent and needed to build one for myself.

Thanks for the inspiration.

I appreciate the encouragement, but I'm still getting my feet wet again. I don't think I'm NNL bound with this one but I will finish it.

Hey John, the whole idea of NNL is that everyone can bring and display their work. As you know, there's no judging so it's just for fun.

One of the things we realized is that a lot of good builders are coming to the show but not displaying models. So this year we are starting a neat NNL East imprinted gift that will only be given to those who display! So display a model and get a neat gift!

Wasn't this one in the "other guys" magazine some years back? If it is, it inspired me to build one very similar, mine is green. I thought the concept was excellent and needed to build one for myself.

Thanks for the inspiration.

I built the Atlantic Roadster when the kit first came out. And yes, it was published heavily in all the mags. One of my most popular builds, and I think it was done in 2 weeks. Go figure!

Thanks for the encouragement on the Edsel. I think I have a neat one lines up next....

Hey John, the whole idea of NNL is that everyone can bring and display their work. As you know, there's no judging so it's just for fun!

I know Tom. If I can get the second one done, I'll bring both. I'm trying to bring something neat and I have just the build..... I think. I have a few weeks, I think I can.