Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ford 427 SOHC Hemi ?

The switch from flatheads to overhead valves? People need to go back a check things out. Overhead valve engine were developed about the same time as flatheads. Right from the start In 1903, Buick had overhead valves. And they were not the first. The fact is no Buick automobile with exception of Marquette ever had a flathead engine.

I do apologize for being misleading, and I have indeed checked a few things out over the years.

Yes, OHV engines were developed early on in the course of IC engine development. So were OHC engines. Peugeot produced a DOHC 4-valve as early as 1913, and Frontenac built DOHC 4V heads for the Model T engine. But the technology was primarily reserved for exotic and racing cars. OHV pushrod engines were fairly common during the early years, but flatheads were everywhere.

Buick may have had OHV engines early (Oldsmobile also had good-breathing OHV heads that were popular racing conversions for the little Chevy 4...it too was OHV, and the Chevy "stovebolt" 6 from 1929 was a pushrod OHV...among others), but in the late 1940s through early 1950s, Cadillac, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Chevrolet, Ford, Chrysler...and Buick...introduced entirely new OHV V8 engines to take advantage of their superior breathing, and the remaining flatheads were phased out (though some continued on in base-line, low performance and industrial applications for years afterwards).

Today, most manufacturers have embraced the OHC engine, and it shows up in baseline and entry level cars. Ford's V8 engines are OHC, but interestingly, Chevrolet retains the OHV pushrod architecture in its LS and Vortec series of V8s, making impressive horsepower and efficiency from a design much of the rest of the world considers to be obsolete.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Many car manufacturers did change from side valves to over head valves, Ford, Mercury, Lincoln, Cadillac, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth and a lot of others did change from flathead (also often called L-Head) to OHV in the late 40's to mid 50's...but not all as you mention, Buick is one as David Dunbar Buick was a pioneer and developed the OHV design, and I think Chevrolet only have had OHV engines...even the Chevrolet Series-D V8 from 1917-18 was of OHV design.

Many car manufacturers chose to go for the flathead design probably because it was cheaper and simpler to manufacture than the OHV design and several of them held on to this old design fairly long...among them Ford who changed as late as 1954.

Most of the modern engines are SOHC or DOHC design...but nothing is new under the sun, back before WW2 the aircraft industry used OHC design, 4-valve per cylinder and fuel injection technology, the car industry was way behind and slowly adapted to this technology fairly late except for racing purposes but have now refined it to what we have today.

Edit: I wrote this at the same time as you Bill, the content in my posting is essentially the same.

One other thing...I don't mind explaining to people who doesn't know about these things... but all information regarding the different engine designs can be found on internet as it's the Worlds largest library, just do a Google search on what you are wondering about and I'm sure you will find answers to most of your questions.

Edited by Force

this will be a useless post, you have been warned.

it really doesn't matter when the OHV design was introduced, there was confusion/lack of knowledge as to what OHV was.

I think that's been covered well enough for now. :rolleyes:

Edited by blunc

as for the hemi version i have heard rumor of this engine but have not personally found that its real.

http://www.jonkaaser...-ford-hemi.html

The Hemi FE is real, it just was never built by Ford. Mickey Thompson designed and had some aluminum heads cast for the 427 FE. Scott Dapron (former MT employee) claims there were only four complete sets made. They are rare, but they do exist.

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/ccrp_1208_ford_fe_427_engine_horsepower/

OK! Got it. Thanks guys.

Are all other conventional US V8 motors then SOHC, or just OHC, or known only as OHV? The more I think about it....well, terminology is fact in this case. I don't mean to be a clown, I have some hands on knowledge about motors and quick street type cars, but not much Ford experience.

I think the description is lacking. Single overhead is single, dual overhead is two. Why "overhead" in the first place? Does this mean over (above) the cylinder head (midline, or above the point of combustion) or above the usual cam tunnel (above the crank) or just somewhere above the centerline of the motor itself?

Is the Boss 429 then a SOHC motor too?

Again, I'm not pestering, I'm just maybe a pita, small bore. I'm just intersted too.

Michael

No, the BOSS is a push rod engine, the cam is in the block.

What does 'FE' stand for? I love this thread as I'm building a '65' AMT Mustang funny car and debating on whether to use the kit engine or one from a '33 Willy's van kit.

Here's a link to an article from Hot Rod Magazine that shows a 427 'Cammer build they did in 2009. It also gives history and engine design elements. Very informative.

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/engine/hrdp_0908_ford_427_cammer_build/

I've encountered persistent tales of FE-based quad-cam engines, but I've never even seen a photo of one. There have been quite a few other Ford-based DOHC engines though, including a conversion for the flathead, done in the 1950s, and a more recent version done with a belt drive...

davis-150.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I've been working with one of these so I'll pass on a couple of things you might want to consider. Try to get the whole engine. Don't try to put the SOHC heads on a regular 427, they just don't play well together. Calnega Castings has a kit. Realize that this engine is WIDE!!. It won't work in all applications without surgery. I wanted to fit it with twin turbos for a 1956 Ford truck but there was no room on the side. Have to go with just the dual quads. I do love the engine though, and I'm a Chevy guy. Have fun.

This is my cammer in my 57 ford. It's a mix of jo Han, revell and amt parts photo83_zps7a6c9804.jpg

It's in here. Tight fit in there too. If any of you have never heard one of these run, it's a beautiful sound. 6 feet of chain spinning around in there is glorious

photo91_zpsc63eaaae.jpg

Edited by freakshow12