Model Cars Magazine Forum

I don't get it!

Why do so many of you guys keep on posting modeling questions in the Tips section?

I have to move questions out of the Tips, Tricks and Tutorial section constantly. Is there some way that I can explain to you people that a question belongs in the questions section? That a question is not a tip? Someone tell me how to make this clear to people, because I'm really getting tired of moving posts every day.

This isn't rocket science, guys. Why do so many of you not understand?

I really...REALLY, wish I had an answer for you Harry. ^_^ I just don't get it either. Maybe it has to do with the same lazy, non scrolling characters. :P

What you should really be asking is "are the people named "White" taking over? :blink:

Edited by MAGNUM4342

Okay, smart alecky stuff aside I have a hard time wrapping my head around this as well. We know alot of noobs sign up without a thought to reading the rules, which is why we have so many without full names, breaking the no swearing rule and trolling...oh so many trolls, but the topics are all clearly marked and for the most part self explanatory. I give lots of quarter to our foriegn friends as the english language is hard enough with our multiple meaning words and such it's a little tough on them at times so I can understand one of them not getting it. Unfortunately, even they are prone to recidivism. (repeat offender). That is one of the things i'm sure gets under the skin is when someone repeatedly posts kit questions here in general or again, in the tips section.

You could send each of them a message and explain it to them...IF you want to spend all day typing. Then of course you are forced to deal with topics like "Why are the mods so mean?" "Why can't we rearrange the whole site to suit me?" and of course the ever popular "Why are the trucks and cars segregated?"

I have two boards of my own and if they take off, I can see having the same issues in the near future...and i'm dreading it!

"Why are the mods so mean?" (Yes...I get the irony Harry :P )

Edited by MAGNUM4342

Maybe it's not us Harry. If so many people are screwing it up, maybe you need to change things up. People continually offer ways to update the format of this place but are shot down. You need to think outside the box once in a while. We can't all be perfect like you.

Maybe it's not us Harry. If so many people are screwing it up, maybe you need to change things up. People continually offer ways to update the format of this place but are shot down. You need to think outside the box once in a while. We can't all be perfect like you.

UH OH ! ! !

Time for me to get my popcorn and soda for this match.. :blink::blink:

I think this illustrates my point perfectly. ;)

This place has changed so much, if Greg or any one else kept changing to how everyone wanted, it would look like our government. All screwed up. It's as bad as people posted in the trade section with the title "wanted" or "looking for."

Just a thought, but if the question section was titled "Questions & Answers" instead of just Q&A it might not get skipped over as easily... Guys probably see the tutorial section and think, " I could get tips and tricks here"...... just a thought.

I have to agree with that...but only because it's such an adorable avatar! :D

And this coming from a former mod. That should tell you something right there. ;)

It's a funny thing. One of my favorite shows lately is Bar Rescue, a reality show where bar expert John Taffer goes in and tries to save a failing business. In one episode the bar owner is yelling at the customers for talking too loud and they leave. He says he doesn't need customers like those! And then the camera scans around the empty bar. Moral of the story is that you don't chase away the customers.

At NNL East this past weekend, someone pointed out to me that a small diorama was on the race car table. I looked and it had two race cars in it., so the fit was close enough. The show is non-competitive so I told the complainer that there was nothing to gain by grabbing some guy and ticking him off by moving his model. When people asked me where to put their model and it came down to a judgement call I told them to put it where it would make them happy. We could have spent the yelling at people and moving around models. But there was no profit to be gained and we'd just be upsetting the customers. Absolutely totally contrary to our goal of providing a great day for everyone.

Each and every year we make improvements to our show by listening to the suggestions of our customers. Last year someone said it would be nice if we had directions from the hotel to the show hall. This year a stack of them was on the hotel main desk. Last year a vendor complained that he didn't get goodies like the attendees. This year the same goodies went into every vendor pack. This year we had several young guys ask for a Tuner Class, next year there will be one. The whole idea is that we focus on what's important.. making our customers happy. And some folks wonder why we are successful.

I really don't get this place, never have really, I mainly stick to one board, the New kit reviews. I don't get the segregation of cars and trucks, especially putting pickup trucks with big trucks. Or splitting large scale off by itself, I mean what's difference between a large scale car model vs a regular scale one? I don't get the point of the "General" board - it's supposed to be a catch all for post that are somewhat off topic and don't fit any other category, right? Then why is it right smack dab at the top of the page and the largest forum on the board? I've never seen another board where the "off topic" forum was given such a place of prominence and was the most posted in by a wide margin. I think that if you're running a modeling forum, your focus should be on modeling, not TV shows, or sick dogs or the weather or who has the best BBQ in East Decatur, etc...

But I gotta give this place props for being one of the few public places on teh interwebz that keeps politics and religion off the board, I dig that about this place and that's why I come here.

It's a funny thing. One of my favorite shows lately is Bar Rescue, a reality show where bar expert John Taffer goes in and tries to save a failing business. In one episode the bar owner is yelling at the customers for talking too loud and they leave. He says he doesn't need customers like those! And then the camera scans around the empty bar. Moral of the story is that you don't chase away the customers.

At NNL East this past weekend, someone pointed out to me that a small diorama was on the race car table. I looked and it had two race cars in it., so the fit was close enough. The show is non-competitive so I told the complainer that there was nothing to gain by grabbing some guy and ticking him off by moving his model. When people asked me where to put their model and it came down to a judgement call I told them to put it where it would make them happy. We could have spent the yelling at people and moving around models. But there was no profit to be gained and we'd just be upsetting the customers. Absolutely totally contrary to our goal of providing a great day for everyone.

Each and every year we make improvements to our show by listening to the suggestions of our customers. Last year someone said it would be nice if we had directions from the hotel to the show hall. This year a stack of them was on the hotel main desk. Last year a vendor complained that he didn't get goodies like the attendees. This year the same goodies went into every vendor pack. This year we had several young guys ask for a Tuner Class, next year there will be one. The whole idea is that we focus on what's important.. making our customers happy. And some folks wonder why we are successful.

Yep, Tom, the NNL East is a great event; I gotta make it back there one year. But, no matter what you do, you won't be able to please all the people all the time, tho it is good to keep trying.