Model Cars Magazine Forum

Biggie Straight 8 Indy Type With Hot Pipes

Howdy to all yinz Big Boyz.

Nice to finally find a niche up my alley. I like total scratchbuilding and since I'm an artist as well, I can make just about any ###### thing I can think of, and the bigger the better. Here's the start of my straight 8 indy type low ridin racer. Hopin to make it just as low as I can. Got the idea to make some of these big things something like the old balsa wood airplanes with the body forms stringered together and then covered with some sort of skin. I originally planned on covering this monster with paper mache and then bondo, but I may just skin it with posterboard so I can have real live panels and seperations between them, and bondo or spackling to smooth it up. That's what's so great about the scratchin', making use of different stuffs. As pumped as I am to get the body going, I'm really looking forward to getting into the exhaust system. Sure would be nice if could make these things full size---scary to drive, but nice. I'm really liking what I'm seeing yinz guys doin. Can't remember who had the '55 Nomad drag racer, but it was awesome!

if you're crappin black, something aint right

Very cool project! I don't know your name.... but please keep posting progress.

If you will accept a suggestion.... I would layout the body skin in fiberglass. That way you can cut open the engine cover and pull out your ribs and interior mold. The shell will be smooth and very strong, plus accept lots of rubbing for a very shiny finish! ;)

Very cool project! I don't know your name.... but please keep posting progress.

If you will accept a suggestion.... I would layout the body skin in fiberglass. That way you can cut open the engine cover and pull out your ribs and interior mold. The shell will be smooth and very strong, plus accept lots of rubbing for a very shiny finish! :)

Hey Jairus,

Thanx for the suggestion. I considered fiberglass, but I've never worked with it. Mayhaps it's time to do so. I'd appreciate any teaching on how to do dat--what to get, what to do next, etc. Once it gets to where I can 'work' it, I think I'll be fine. It's just getting to that point. Thanx for pointing out the advantages such as the cutting out the engine cover and the very shiny finish--coolness! alas, I may have to make another for the ratty racer look. As if I and my OCD don't have enuff to deal with, now you've got me droolin over the big 8 POWERplant which I hadn't planned on creating coz I hadn't planned on any inside stuffs. Back to the drawing bored it lookems like :rolleyes: thanx again--life is good! ######'n (aka John Fleischman)

if you're crappin' black, something aint right

Totally scratchbuilt...that's cool!

You say you're an artist...any auto art you'd care to post in the Auto Art section???

Yes Harry, I'm blessed/cursed with the artistics. I've got some pix on the Gallery, some value studies, color studies, and a final computer enhanced version of a 49 Merky that took 1st place in a show at The Art Center in Butler, Pa near where I live. Show was the first "Painted Hog" motorcycle, hot rod, tattoo, pin-up art show we had. Just lost my co-chair of the Painted Hog committee, Vidal--34years young--massive heart attack. He was a tattoo artist and very cool. Sux. Andyhow, there's also some pix on the gallery of this 'pumpkin rat rod' I made for another show at the Art Center. I did it right after I retired--basically transferred myself from working 60 hours a week at a steel mill to spending 16 hours a day for 2 weeks obsessively creating this here totally scratched rod. 'Twas for the 'Art of Horror' show, and 'tis definitely evil :)

Here be couple more shots of the BS8. Later. ######'n B

if you're crappin' black, something aint right

You can get "repair" packages of fiberglass (resin, hardener and cloth) at the local hardware or autoparts stores. (Not to mention the auto paint store....) The amount they give you is enough for your project but pick up two packages just to make sure.

As for the engine detail..... adding an engine is up to you. However, you HAVE to included a driver or cockpit and those ribs will get in the way.....

At any rate, the engine hatch lines should be included so once the interior is cleaned out, glass in a flange and screw back down the engine cover. Nobody needs to see detail you don't want to show!

Jairus