Model Cars Magazine Forum

need help from you guys

Ok, I know this is a 60 chevy truck but I don't know what I need to build it. I'm guessing a lot of scratchbuilding will have to be done. Any help would be appreciated. Like what kit and where to get aftermarket wheels and tires and possibly the stake bed for it. Thanks for any guidance you can offer. I have never built a truck kit before.

post-2219-0-49942000-1424696940_thumb.jp

The chassis will pretty much have to be scratch built from the rear cab mounts back. The 1 ton used a different frame from the 1/2 and 3/4 tons. The rear frame rails are different, and is setup for leaf springs instead of coils. You'll also need to scratch build the rear axle, there are no scale replicas of the H)72 axle that the 1:1 used. The GM Heritage site https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/docs/gm-heritage-archive/vehicle-information-kits/Chevrolet-Trucks/1960-Chevrolet-Truck.pdf has all the dimensions you'll need, plus a few pics of the suspension and chassis components.

I also put this in your other post, the Welly 1/24 scale '53 Chevy tow truck has the correct dual wheels. Don't use the Jada version, it's wheels are way out of scale.

http://i.ebayimg.com/02/!CC0ITNQBWk~$(KGrHqUOKnQEz37H1e5mBNMd(WBh!!~~_12.JPG This is the Welly I was talking about (note, this is not my listing, only best example pic I could find). Look for the ones with the silver wheels, not the chrome. Seems the chrome version have the same oversize wheel that the Jada has.

The rear wheels on the truck you've pictured are the correct style. Those were used up to at least '69, perhaps to '72.

Here's the link the GM Heritage main page https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/gm-heritage-archive/vehicle-information-kits.html The files are in a PDF format.

If that's a factory flatbed, or platform as they called in the literature, the beds are more or less the same, only the platform simply does not have the sides on it.

Those wheels are indeed correct for a 60 Chevy 0ne ton truck,the wheels and tires would probably have to be gotten from one of the resin casters? I don't know of a good kit source for those. There are several kit versions available for the truck though. The stakebody would probably be best scratch-built,but there are a few kits that had one that may work,the Lindberg 34 Ford truck has one very similar.............................Mark

post-9862-0-76342900-1424727196_thumb.jp

post-9862-0-47284200-1424727206_thumb.jp

Bill, so if I could find wheels like are on the rear and just reversed one half of one then that would be correct for the front? do those pdf files take a terribly long time to load? every time I try it I just get a black screen and I know my pdf reader works.

The bed from the Ford kit will be very short, by about 4 scale feet. The original issue AMT '60-'63 Chevy truck did have a stake option, But it was for a 98" bed (correct for the 127" wheelbase 1/2 ad 3/4 ton), rather than the 109" bed found on the 133" wheelbase 1 ton.

As far as I know, I don't think any of the resin caster are doing those wheels. Might have to some more checking on that.

It would be on the 1:1, but the scale wheels aren't made that way. The fronts are different from the rears on the die cast. On the rears, the inner and outer wheels are made in 1 piece.

Any time I've used that site, it only takes about a minute or less to upload. It's about a 211 page, counting blanks pages, file, you might have to scroll down a bit to get into the information.

Bill, I finally got it to load. thank you very much for the link. I went down to the wheel section and the wheel illustration showed a 6 slot wheel for the dual wheels Instead of the 8 hole type that the flat bed truck I posted a picture of has. Thoughts?

The 6 hole wheel that's shown in the Resto Pack is for a 1 1/2 ton or larger truck. However, I have seen a 5 hole wheel shown in the factory literature that's very similar. But pretty much all of the original trucks I've seen in person had the 8 hole wheel. Good chance both were used, depending on who supplied the factories with wheels.

One more thing I can add. Here's a good shot showing the differences from the 1/2 and 3/4 ton chassis compared to the 1 and 1 1/2 ton chassis.

1960%20Chevrolet%20Pickups-05-06-07.jpg?

Bill, I found a brochure picture of the truck I want to do and it has the 5 slot wheels? I also found a rear shot of the stake bed from a brochure but it is pictured as a 20 series. I think the one I want to do is a thirty series with the shorter stake bed like the 2nd truck pictured below. Modelhaus has some 5 slot wheels and tires that look a lot like the ones pictured on the red truck. It sure would be nice if I could use them even if they may not be perfectly correct. It seems nobody makes the 8 hole wheels pictured below

post-2219-0-62483200-1424902287_thumb.jp

post-2219-0-36519900-1424902308_thumb.jp

post-2219-0-66736600-1424902325_thumb.jp

I just looked at the Modelhaus wheels, I think they'll be ok. From what I've seen, it looks like both styles of wheel were used. The 8 hole wheel is an 18" split rim, the 5 hole wheel is a 17.5" single piece wheel. Since the other wheels do not seem to be being reproduced, I would say go ahead and use the Modelhaus wheels. You won't be disappointed, Modelhaus is top notch quality. I might have to get a few sets of those myself, as I have both a '67 and a '72 projects in the works that need duallie wheels, and only 1 set of the Welly die cast wheels. Might save those for an earlier style truck.

As far as the bed goes, I'm pretty sure the only real difference is the length. BTW, this isn't common knowledge, but the C20 was available with a dual wheel option, starting back at least as early as '55, and up to '72. They're not very common. The '72 project I'm doing is going to have that option, along with the Open Road camper and the leaf spring rear option.

Bill, So do you think the truck I want to do might be a 20 series with coil spring rear suspension and dual wheels? Which means the front wheels might just be regular 6 lug truck wheels with hub caps. That would make the build a lot easier.

The C20 would have the same dual wheels on the front as the C30, plus the C20 also has the same 8 lug bolt pattern. 6 lug trucks were 1/2 tons. However, you could do a single wheel C20/C30 with the stake bed, as the duals were not standard with the stake bed. In addition, it seems I might have mislead you. After some further research, it looks as if the C20 3/4 did not have a dual wheel option during the '60-'66 period. '47-'59 had it, and '67-'72 had it. Not sure whey there is a skip, but according to GM Heritage and the shop manual, it wasn't used on that range of trucks.