Model Cars Magazine Forum

Smokey and the Bandit 2 GMC General

Anyone know any specs on the GMC General used in Smokey and the Bandit 2?? Such as engine,wheelbase,sleeper size?? I am assuming the engine is a 8v71 or 6v71? And from what is ee in pictures it looks to be a 50 inch sleeper? It definaely is to skinny to be a 60 or more. I have a chevy bison kit i wanna use for this just need to swap out the grille.

Edited by pete3522

I don't remember all the specs but the truck was featured in Overdrive mag in 1980. The sleeper actually is 60" called the general's quarters by GMC. I do remember the truck had a 8v92ta and the wheelbase was probably around 250". Most Overdrive isssues are online some where try a google search.

There were three Generals built with that sleeper. All three were prototypes. The sleeper was never put into production. It was made by the Able Body Corp. and was the same sleeper used on Fords and Macks of that time period but with new front sheet metal and upper windows. The one truck was loned to the movie producers by GM to promote their truck line. Overdrive magazine did a write up on it as well. After the filming and the Overdrive article, all three trucks had the sleepers removed and then smaller sleepers were installed on two (I think it was 2?) but the movie truck was sold as a day cab and is still around today in the original paint. It now has a grain body on the rear.