Model Cars Magazine Forum

Procharged Corvette Z06 - updated 4/10 Finished!

shucky

• 3 weeks later...

Was able to do some work on this thing over the past couple weeks. I was able to get the sleeves painted using Testors lacquer gloss black and the wheel centers Tamiya semi-gloss black for a little contrast. I found the Tamiya semi-gloss black is not "pure" black per say and this worked out wonderfully but is very subtle.

IMG_1152.jpg

IMG_1153.jpg

These are silver plated crimp tubes (size #1 .031) from the craft store. I'm using them for lug bolt covers. Gave them a quick coat of clear to preserve their finish.

IMG_1154.jpg

And here I'm punching out some wheel center cap logo's from a decal sheet.

IMG_1233.jpg

IMG_1234.jpg

Next up was getting these things together. Installed the lug bolt covers and center cap logo's. All that is left is to add the Protech valve stems.

IMG_1243.jpg

IMG_1240.jpg

IMG_1238.jpg

Next up is the brakes I borrowed from a Mr. Model wheel set. These will be getting attention next. More to come and thanks for the comments as always.

IMG_1246.jpg

Spent a great deal of time this past weekend finishing the brakes and making spacers to mount the wheel/brake combo to the crude Jada chassis. Since this isn't going to be a show queen I opted to not un-tub the Jada chassis which would normally house their huge over-sized wheel/tire combo. I was lucky enough that the ride height sits perfectly and just as I had imagined for this build, so all that was needed was spacers to adjust width which I made from aluminum tubing. This allowed me to push my wheel/tire/brake combo out as far as I needed to for the look I was after. I'd be comfortable saying now that this build has officially been "stanced" and I'm thrilled with how it came out. Here are some mock up's and how it'll sit. Its all been taken down already so I can get the chassis painted and continue assembly. Getting close, more to come, and thanks as always for the kind words and encouragement.

Brakes are simple but really nice pieces from Mr. Model. Calipers are painted metalizer brass with Tamiya clear yellow.

IMG_1255.jpg

And the mock up's.

IMG_1258.jpg

IMG_1263.jpg

IMG_1266.jpg

IMG_1271.jpg

IMG_1269.jpg

• 4 months later...

Hi guys, sorry for the long delay with updating this build. As I worked on finishing this as well as working on other projects I didn't take as many photos along the way as I wanted to. Nonetheless, here are some of the last items I worked on as I finished this build up today.

Simple floor mats are styrene painted black and a quick sprinkle of embossing powder on thinned white glue. Also added piping around the mat with Detail Master wire.

IMG_1720_zpsa845c969.jpg

IMG_1723_zps2baf14f4.jpg

Also worked on the interior to finish it up. Added belts and harness bar behind the seats.

IMG_1913_zps2482168e.jpg

IMG_1928_zpsdd13339b.jpg

Moved on to the intercooler. Made this from styrene bits and some aluminum for the hose connections.

IMG_1930_zpsb9b27025.jpg

IMG_1931_zpsb1fed661.jpg

Also worked on the headlight buckets. Painted gloss black and added awesome MV lenses.

IMG_1933_zps9dda9568.jpg

IMG_1934_zpsc2b43ae5.jpg

IMG_1935_zps263e0612.jpg

And here is where I lacked on the picture taking lol. Final assembly was done without any pictures as all the sub-assemblies were almost all completed prior. Here is the finished engine insert and one teaser of the finished model. She will be "under glass" soon! Thanks all for the kind comments and being patient with me over the past year as you followed along. I'm very happy with how it turned out and anxious to start a couple more projects.

IMG_1043.jpg

IMG_1950_zps70ede445.jpg