Model Cars Magazine Forum

'57 Ford Custom (Finished, see it in Under Glass forum 3-7-13)

rmvw guy

Thanks for the comments guys. Richard, I think you are right about the dull coat, just happen to be out of it at the moment. I just found some great reference photos for the engine on ebay motors. Too late for me but' I thought someone else could use them so, here you go.T2eC16dHJGIE9nnWrc9PBQCdQw0fMw_4_zps4621KGrHqFrEE-8nlLBbcBQCdQ3nBN_4_zpsdf6c7ed0T2eC16hHJHoE9n3KhWq5BQCdS7SItw_4_zpse4ba

Okay, here we go with the Bare Metal Foil as promised. I've got a good feeling about this! Armed with plenty of new #11 blades and a bran new sheet of BMF, old T shirt, tooth picks, and mat board, I have read the directions at least 5 times and will follow to the letter. DSC04422-Copy_zpsfc3ec7db.jpgFirst piece;DSC04423_zps69f50494.jpgDSC04424_zpsdd4c31c8.jpgDSC04426_zps4ae58a05.jpg.Success!!!!

Edited by rmvw guy

This is starting to hurt my eyes. :lol: DSC04432_zps7a08e8c7.jpgI know, I wasted a lot on that piece.DSC04433_zps71137673.jpgI see the finish line! What a great kit for a beginner! (With lack of much chrome.) As you can see, I used between 1/3 and 1/2 of the sheet, maybe I will get better on the next one but, I'm happy. If you haven't guessed, I did this yesterday while the forum was down. I think that is the only time I am getting anything done on my models. It took me about two hours, 3 cups of coffee, and 2 # 11 blades. And I am suffering from temporary blindness. It was fun, thanks for watching.DSC04434_zpscba5567c.jpg

Edited by rmvw guy

Looks excellent but you sure did waste a ton of BMF. I usually cut on the short side of the sheet into 1/4" wide strips. Walgreen's has makeup applicator qtips that come to a point on one end and rounded on the other. They're wound real tight and are perfect for burnishing BMF.

Thanks Richard and Jim. I have battled with this stuff for years and truly feel this has been my first success. I may have wasted it some due to my past experience in cutting pieces too small and later throwing damaged sheets away due to non use and poor storage habits. I want to use it up fast and get some more! Keep it fresh! :lol: Thanks for you comments....... Looking back at this one today, I am not bragging about the perfect finish on the BMF, by far but, probably my best to date. This could still turn into one of my rust-buckets. When I was installing the windows I got a little glue on the paint. #$@%^%$# This is what happens when I get too confident.

Edited by rmvw guy

Looking good, sorry I missed the call for two-tone pics, but you've got it right now. Fairlanes and Customs are quite different cars. I've got a couple two-tone Custom pics on the other computer I'll post them when I can.

One tip I'd share with BMF is to color your knife blade with a Sharpie, it'll help with the snow blindness!

Here's a couple two-tone Customs showing the paint break lines.

2722096417_72bcea70f4_o.jpg

4765013702_b63c70992e_z.jpg

4764379517_1ba787acc6_z.jpg

Note that on the Tudor the paint break is the line between the fender and the door. On the Fordor it's the back of the trim.

Thanks Brett, I think I see what you are saying on the break at the door. I wasn't clear on that when I foiled over it. Thanks to you other guys for your comments also.

Ron, I would say you did a fine job on the BMF application! As I read pages 4 & 5, it struck me that perhaps the biggest obstacle you were facing was in your head. Soon you will be slappin' down the foil like butter on flapjacks. Can be awkward guestimating what size piece of foil to cut, huh?! I keep a little 6 inch ruler near the bench to help me out on that. Happy buildin'!

Thanks Brett, I think I see what you are saying on the break at the door. I wasn't clear on that when I foiled over it. Thanks to you other guys for your comments also.

It's hard to see and nobody but me would ever notice. I've just been burying myself in research for when I do mine, it's always been a favorite of mine (My grandad once owned a 57 base model no frills Custom), and I love these low-end 2-door-post cars Revell's been giving us lately. One will be a supercharged F-code once the Nascar version with the rest of the supercharger parts shows up. The one I have now will be a gasser. Still very early and on the back burner, but I have grafted a T-bolt teardrop hood bulge onto it.

Thanks Jon and Dave, also Brett and good luck on yours I'm sure they will turn out fine and I can't wait to see them. Thanks for all your help so far and now, I may just have to do a little more paint work after reading your post. I still haven't dealt with the glue mess I made either.

• 2 weeks later...

Brett, I got the two-tone fixed, thanks. It bothered me too much. Also got the glue off the paint thanks to a tip from Gregg, ( MCM issue173, page 18, although no clear used ). I made a mechanics fender cover just in case but, don't think I really need it, I kind of like it though. :) DSC04543_zpsbacc3397.jpgDSC04542_zps36ec71ab.jpgDSC04541_zpse5762427.jpg

Thanks Gluhead, Some times I need a quickie build, trouble is most of the time they become just another iron in the fire. I'm jumping around on four different ones right now, just need to finish one and this one is getting close, I think. According to the instructions I have two more steps to go. :lol: