Model Cars Magazine Forum

Central Florida clubs or shows??

There's a group meets in Ocala. Don Garrett is hoping/planning to do a show at his 1:1 shop in Ocala sometime. If you hear anything about the Pinellas Park thing, please post.

Jim, like you I'm a bit discouraged with the lack of interest that seems to prevail here in Fla. as far as a model car shows go. As you know good hobby shops in the area are few and far between. The ones that are here are deep with R/C, planes etc......slim pickin's for sure.

I thought that combining a model car show with a full size iron show would generate a lot more interest. That doesn't seem to be the case.

My thinking at this point is if we can gather up enough folks to start a local club we would have enough muscle to pull off a show.

Jim, I just got off the phone with Classic Motorcars.

I can't give you an exact date yet as to when our next full size show will be as this is the time of year for Barrett Jackson, the Turkey Rod run and the Big Daddy show are on the agenda, but I'll keep you posted. Just as well, it'll give us time to organize this gig. You've seen the show room, etc.

So if you are willing to help with the legwork involved we can make this happen......you wanna' play?

Volusia County is east of Lake county and north of Seminole county. Wayne is in Daytona Beach, I'm in DeBary. Both are in Volusia County. I live 1 mile west of I-4 and just north of the Seminole County line at mile marker 108. Wayne is 30 plus miles further up off I-4 than I am. I-4 starts in Tamps. As I said in an earlier post on this thread and Wayne has confirmed, there are a number of modelers on the our area. Abell is the one who is within 5 miles of me.

Okay, let's take all the nuts and bolts stuff off-site and see if we can put this together. The car show has the dogs, burgers...Rock n' Roll DJ and all that stuff. Parking, security etc. will all be handled, local radio announcements, print would be piggy backed with the 1:1 advertising.....all we have to do is rent some tables and get enough participants for the actual show & tell.

Jim, PM me your e addy and we'll discuss it further. Who knows, let's see what shakes out.

You threw me off at first - what happened to Bigwrench1?

My personal preference would be daytime during the week. If it's going to be at night, then I vote for Wednesday night. I'm tied up with meetings on the 2nd Saturday and 4th Sunday of every month.

Don "Big Daddy" Garlits is a friend of yours, Doug? WOW!!! Maybe he'd like us to hold the meetings at his museum. An MCM person made a moel of one of his Swamp Rats and presented it to him.

I'm embarrassed to say that I live less than 20 miles away from Garlit's shop and in the 9 years I've lived here, I've never been to see the place. There was a no billet show a couple of years ago but I wasn't able to make it.

A tour for the upcoming NEW MODEL CAR CLUB in Central Florida would be really great!

Hope we get lots of responses for the club.

well i live in merritt island, on the east coast(i can watch the shuttles take off from my front yard, lol), but im moving to cape canaveral(close to the cruise ships) about 10miles east of my current location(roughly 2 blocks from the beach!!!!!!!)........ i have meet jim when we helped out lyn with her models in storage, lol, that was a fun day! got some cool kits for helping out, awsomeness, lol. i would love to be in a club/show, but with everything thats been going on..... i barely have time for my self, let alone building and traveling....... ugh........ i can only wish right now, i'll keep an eye on this thread to see how things go.

I'm not a facebook person.

lol, me niehter, i really don't like social networking. LOL

Edited by B_rad88

It seems as if there is a lot of interest in getting something started in and around the Central Florida area. Needless to say, if a club is to be successful there will be some sort of ravel involved for some folks, even if the idea of a traveling/touring club is the way to go. I know that there is a club in the Phoenix, AZ area (Moonlighters I believe) that have club meetings in different locations each month. In some cases they are one end of the metro area or the other, which involves a bit of travel for some. I don't know if it's a successful venture or not but I would be willing to bet that it's hard to get the same group of guys present each month.

My idea would be to post a request for anyone interested in throwing ideas around and set a day and time for all those interested to join in a chat session here on the board. That way you get plenty of folks present to throw out suggestions.

One other thought that comes to mind would be to possibly create a club made up of chapters located throughout the state. SCMA, South Carolina Modelers Association has a structure like this where they have at least four chapters that I know of and it seems to work fine for them. You create one set of bylaws for the chapters to follow and each chapter is responsible for it's own meeting times and locations. Then, at least once a year, you set up an overall club meeting for all members to try and attend in a central location. Just something else to ponder.

Edited by 1320wayne

...................One other thought that comes to mind would be to possibly create a club made up of chapters located throughout the state. SCMA, South Carolina Modelers Association has a structure like this where they have at least four chapters that I know of and it seems to work fine for them. You create one set of bylaws for the chapters to follow and each chapter is responsible for it's own meeting times and locations. Then, at least once a year, you set up an overall club meeting for all members to try and attend in a central location. Just something else to ponder.

i like that idea, that would prob work better since we are all spread out down here, lol.

I do like the idea of groups close together getting together when it is best for them. I would like to see a quarterly meet that could go from group to group with primary people in the club attending all. Then I would like to see a bi annual show with a 1:1 show or one its own. Anyone have idea??? I am not into the bylaw thing so someone else needs to do that, but the other organizing I am in for. Again my goal is to see modeling kept going here and I think it is even more important that shops see an interest in modeling so maybe they will carry more supplies. Was gone this weekend to Sebring as I am a Official with NASA PRO RACING.

I cook at the local VFW every Wednesday (4-6pm) but with enough notice, I can tell them I won't be there. The 2nd Saturday of every month is taken for my Rolling Thunder meeting. This coming weekend is the SE Street Rod Nationals in Tampa and some people said they plan on attending.

You looking at during the day or nighttime?