Model Cars Magazine Forum

Central Florida clubs or shows??

I can see a plan formulating here......I have far too many irons in the fire at the moment to grab this bull by the horns and wrestle it to the ground. Let me suggest that you guys decide on a name or moniker and set up a group of enthusiastic modelers....you know, delegate positions and all that so that there is a foundation to work from. Once you have your officers in place, then some advertising can be done to let folks know that it exists. After all....whose going to join a club or promote a model car show without knowing who or why....get my drift? ;)

Yes, I would like to get the core group together, form the regional groups and then advertise for people to come to those meetings. Once we have a group, then attack the show issue next. Until then, attend other shows and let it be known we exist. Does anyone know if Colonial Hobby is Club Friendly??

Just becasue a person doesn't get hired doesn't mean a particular shop isn't friendly. Should we be considering becoming an IMPS chapter? I know IMPS gets a 10% discount at Rob's Hoby World in Ocala. I'm planning to go up to Rob's today and will try to remember to ask about discounts.

I've only been to Clermont once a few years ago when the new Harley dealership opened.

I'd like to propose October 19, 2010 at 11:00am at a yet to be determined location in Clermont. There's been enough talk - let's get to starting this thing up.

Such a nice day, I had to get the bike out and ride - so I went to my LHS. Rob's Hobby World in Ocala. Rob will give club members a 10% discount at his store (the new Dodge Dart Hemi is $22.99 on his shelf).

IPMS has a chapter in Ocala (voted the best club chapter 2009). One of their members was at the store and we talked. It appears this chapter has quite a few car builders and are quite friendly. They meet on the 2nd Thursday of each month in Ocala.

Any comments on the suggested date/time for the proposed Central Florida club?

Such a nice day, I had to get the bike out and ride - so I went to my LHS. Rob's Hobby World in Ocala. Rob will give club members a 10% discount at his store (the new Dodge Dart Hemi is $22.99 on his shelf).

IPMS has a chapter in Ocala (voted the best club chapter 2009). One of their members was at the store and we talked. It appears this chapter has quite a few car builders and are quite friendly. They meet on the 2nd Thursday of each month in Ocala.

hey jim look at this group nonamemodelclub@yahoogroups.com

iam with these boys!!!! there florida boys too

As far as times, if we use the group method they would set the times and dates, and we could have a quarterly main meeting that could travel around to the groups area. This would tie it all together and allow modelers to get together in close proximity to each other more often. then if there is a show put on we can participate in we can go as a club together and see about hosting our own.

Since that is local for you, you could see about getting the car builders together as a group there.

Apparently the IPMS chapter has 3 factions - planes, boats, cars and each group stays with their own kind. I'd rather be part of a model car club. I have no interest in planes & boats.

I forgot to mention in my earlier post that Larry (Inverness) and Terry (Hernando), are interested in our forming model car club. Larry is building again after 40 years and Terry has been building for about a year.

I'm looking forward to the 19th and hope others will be willing to come out or at least provide some feedback on a preferred date/time.

Apparently the IPMS chapter has 3 factions - planes, boats, cars and each group stays with their own kind. I'd rather be part of a model car club. I have no interest in planes & boats.

I forgot to mention in my earlier post that Larry (Inverness) and Terry (Hernando), are interested in our forming model car club. Larry is building again after 40 years and Terry has been building for about a year.

I'm looking forward to the 19th and hope others will be willing to come out or at least provide some feedback on a preferred date/time.

Jim, can't say for sure as I'm retired (sorta), but I'm wondering if weekdays for club meetings might eliminate some of the guys that have full time jobs or school? Just something to consider. It probably wouldn't matter if you are just trying to put a core together right now.

I realize that not everyone is retired and has time on their hands, Don, but I can take just so much back and forth talk. I suggested a date/time with the sincere hope that interested people would it's good and they'll be there, or bad and suggest an alternate date/time. There's been neither.

hey guys, just came into this thread sounds like you guys are planning something way overdue!!! central FL needs a club bad! I am in Hudson and use to belong to sun coast model car club when I was younger. they actually have a show this weekend at the FL state fair grounds! they had members all over and at each meeting would decide where the next was going to be. one night would be at a library at a central location for everyone then they would alternate between member's houses that could host it. that worked out pretty good for them. I would like to get in with you guys that would be cool however the 19th doesnt work for me I have a horse show out of state. but i can catch up on here.

hey guys, just came into this thread sounds like you guys are planning something way overdue!!! central FL needs a club bad! I am in Hudson and use to belong to sun coast model car club when I was younger. they actually have a show this weekend at the FL state fair grounds! they had members all over and at each meeting would decide where the next was going to be. one night would be at a library at a central location for everyone then they would alternate between member's houses that could host it. that worked out pretty good for them. I would like to get in with you guys that would be cool however the 19th doesnt work for me I have a horse show out of state. but i can catch up on here.

hey rob i should there this sat!!!! lookk at my new posts

I was there, and did well. As for pics, it was very hard to photograph there. Do to space constraints, all the models are laid out in parking lot fashion, and visitors only had access to one side of the table. I took some shots, but unable to use my mini-tripod the shots I did take are not very good.

All in all it was a good show. The top awards went to some outstanding builders. I'm not sure I'll be doing it again next year though. Unlike your average model contest, where people with children are more careful (mostly), this was just Mr. & Mrs Joe Average at a car show with their 2.5 kids that the MAGS club did a great job keeping safely away from our builds, but I was still very nervous about leaving my models there for two days. Too many grabby little hands from too many children, ill-supervised.