Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 Revell '70 Plymouth HEMI 'Cuda 2'n1

I saw you talkin with those gentlemen over by the table, but I didn't want to interrupt your discussion. It's REALLY cool to see guys such as yourselves just diggin the show. Your news is GREAT to hear. I'm one of those guys who paid stupid prices for both the MPC 70 and 71 Cudas. I think it's a BEAUTIFUL car and I'll DEFINATELY get a few more when they come out!!!! THANKS for your persistance Tim!!!!

Edited by george 53

Great reaction from everyone to the new 'cuda news.

I appreciate any credit you want to give me, but all I did was supply information, ideas, and sources. If you talk to the guys at Revell, apparently many others did the same as well.

All the credit really belongs to the team at Revell. THEY are the ones that did all the hard work, the planning, the budgeting, the engineering and fabrication, and the like to finally make this idea a reality.

Best regards...TIM

Artful....I don't know the specifics of why a kit takes a certain amount of time to come out.

A company may have a kit on their "to do list" for many years (I understand that the Revell Midget was in the plans for 10 years before it came out). A model company has to think through their entire kit catalog (not just genres of cars and trucks, but planes, mililtary, special interests, etc.) and make sure they have a balanced portfolio of new ideas each year. Maybe there are other ideas that just plain outrank our chosen topic, until it too eventually makes it to the top of the list.

Then there is the availablity of capital, human resources, scheduling at tooling vendors, etc., etc. Once a kit is committed to production, they have to find the correct 1/1 scale car to research (a really important decision for a kit like this), design the kit, commission the tooling, then do several rounds of evaluation and correction of the tooling. Once the kit enters production, they need to complete the production run, get it on the water to the States, and then into the distribution system. Given the expectations of today's marketplace, and especially the expectations around getting the body right on this particular model, it's not too hard for me to understand the amount of time involved between a decision to go ahead and the kit appearing in the hobby store. I want to emphasize that this is my general knowledge of the subject, not a specific recap of any one kit or manufacturer's timing situation.

As to why I or anybody else didn't say anything publicly about Revell's new 'cuda until now, I can only vouch for myself. Until I saw the Facebook post on Revell's website a couple of days ago, I didn't know for 100% sure that the kit would be produced. And then there is the matter of confidentiality - in a venture like this, a company has a right to expect confidentiality about future plans when they discuss them with outsiders, and that's something that I and others involved take very seriously.

There are any number of instances in the last 50+ years of this hobby where plans of one manufacturer to do a particular kit subject were scuttled when they heard unauthorized news of another manufacturer's plans Sometimes the news was false - and that was the precise reason we didn't get a kit of the '49 or '50 Olds until this month vs. the original plans being made in the mid 1960's by one of our favorite U.S. model companies which were cancelled when they heard - incorrectly it turned out - that another manufacturer planned to product the same topic. Sure didn't want to see that repeated with this topic!

Hope that explains at least a little bit of the background, at least as I know it.

Best regards...TIM

I do have 1 more question Tim, do you know or can someone from Revell, explain or give a reason as to why this kit still won't be on the market for another 9-10 months?? Is there a problem with the kit/parts? Do they have to make any modifications? Is there a licensing problem ( shouldn't think so ) ? I'm interested as to why companies like Aoshima/Tamiya/Fujimi can kit up a model of a 1:1 car that's only just gone on sale or is yet to go on sale & get it onto shelves so quickly & quite accurately, semi-curbside or properly detailed, yet it take's Revell more than 3 whole years, after twice failing in accuracy levels, to kit up a car that has been readily available on local roads, streets, highways & bi-ways for 42 yrs??? Can ANYONE explain this?? Surely Revell, being the biggest car-kit manufacturer in America & quite possibly internationally, has the finances & same, if not better, technology, than the other kit manufacturers to get a product/subject to the market place just as quick as the smaller companies, no? Or is it a work ethic?? Laziness? Or is it a tall-poppy thing? Meaning they'll do what they want, when they want & let everyone else eat cake?? I'm very interested to know just exactly why Revell take's so long to do... Anything?

Thanks & cheers Dan

What's with all the attitude? Does it really matter when it comes out? Are they not coming out with something new just about every month? This month the '50 Olds, next month the '62 vette, Dec, we get a '57 ford, and we're still getting the stacy david rat roaster, several modified re-issues all these are being produced in a specific order. do you expect them to run everything at once? what they displayed were test shots, and while they looked fairly complete I could tell there was more tooling to be done. Don't worry though it looks like enough models will be coming out to keep us busy for quite a while.

What's with all the attitude? Does it really matter when it comes out? Are they not coming out with something new just about every month? This month the '50 Olds, next month the '62 vette, Dec, we get a '57 ford, and we're still getting the stacy david rat roaster, several modified re-issues all these are being produced in a specific order. do you expect them to run everything at once? what they displayed were test shots, and while they looked fairly complete I could tell there was more tooling to be done. Don't worry though it looks like enough models will be coming out to keep us busy for quite a while.

And we must remember, these are TEST shots, I'm sure there will be a great deal of QA done, tweaking after that, Instructions to be written, decals done more QA, and all this while many other projects are in the works. I've got plenty to keep me busy, It'll probably take me nine months to build the Olds, '62 Vette and Rat Roaster anyway! Carry on Revell!

Great job on the back story of the 70 'cuda Tim. Since you missed out on seeing them yesterday I thought I'd add some photos. One note if it wasn't mentioned. This version won't have the rear spoiler as shown here. Hopefully they'll update the box art photos. Anyway here's the first batch .....

157-vi.jpg

158-vi.jpg

159-vi.jpg

160-vi.jpg

161-vi.jpg

162-vi.jpg

You're very welcome Tim ..... here's the rest, sorry about the focus on some of them. I was trying to hurry as so every could get a good look.

163-vi.jpg

164-vi.jpg

165-vi.jpg

166-vi.jpg

167-vi.jpg

168-vi.jpg

I posted the built up test shot photos in my Toledo NNL review yesterday, just follow the link below.

http://www.modelcars...showtopic=64745

If that doesn't work I can repost them here later .....

-Steve

This kit could have the same potential as the AMT '71 Charger did with '71-'76 B-bodies, as far as using it to update every E-body from '70-'74 with accurate chassis, doghouse and driveline. Also the new tires looked incredible and the 15" Rallyes might be the best yet. I am not even an E-body guy, but am still very excited for this kit.

Tim, thanks for the back-story on this kit. To say I'm happy to see it us an understatement. Just waiting to hear a hands-on review before we celebrate. And with the prospect of a Sox & Martin version this kit has winner written all over it. I think Revell listened and did their homework.

Can't wait to see it released!

Me, if it takes another 8, 9 or 10 months for them to release the kit, I don't care, there's no hurry. If they need that time to release a nice, detailed, correct, accurate '70 'Cuda, I say go ahead! Take your time and do it right this time.

I got a closet full of unbuilt kits anyway so it's not like I have anything else to do during those next 8, 9 or 10 months :)