Model Cars Magazine Forum

Here's one I dusted off from the shelf #1

Ron Hamilton

I built this one when Revell brought this kit out the first time several years ago.

MAMA%20Meeting%203%2021%202015%20032_zps

MAMA%20Meeting%203%2021%202015%20029_zps

MAMA%20Meeting%203%2021%202015%20027_zps

I used a hardtop from the AMT "Prestige" 1963 Corvette Roadster. It fit prettty good, except that the front edge is just a little bit off, but I think it came out fine, as I wanted a hardtop on it. I built this one before I discovered MCW paints. It's painted with a Testors' Model Master Dark Red Metallic Enamel, cleared with their "High Gloss Lacquer Clear, and rubbed out. This one is one of my favorite cars in the one-to-one world. I wanted something other than Bright Red, or Blue, besides, I have a Marina Blue Fastback to go with it.

2005_11261967CorvetteL88Coupe0001.jpg

Beautiful work on those two, Ron. Love the color choices, too. You nailed the Marina Blue, and the red looks like Marlboro Maroon, which was also a '67 color.

Couple questions for ya:

1) Do you have the Testors part number for Model Master Dark Red Metallic Enamel?

2) What's the secret to making the stinger stripe work with the crossed flags on the nose?

Beautiful work on those two, Ron. Love the color choices, too. You nailed the Marina Blue, and the red looks like Marlboro Maroon, which was also a '67 color.

Couple questions for ya:

1) Do you have the Testors part number for Model Master Dark Red Metallic Enamel?

2) What's the secret to making the stinger stripe work with the crossed flags on the nose?

Unfortnately, Testors does not make that particular paint any more. If I remember right, it was in the Car Colors line they did back in the 90's. At the time I built the roadster, I was a little apprehensive about using lacquer on a styrene model, as I have had many a fried body from the lacquer burn. As a matter of fact, my first air brush jobs were done with Tamiya Acrylics thinned with their thinner, custom mixed to my eye. I liked that Testors color better than the actual Marlboro Maroon, as it seems to be more red than silver. On the red Corvette, I "Bare Metaled" and paint detailed the flags, and trimmed the trimmed the stinger decals where the flags were moulded in, and installed them. On the blue car, I used the Model Car Garage photoetch set. I removed the flags and scripts from the car, painted and decaled the car, then I added the photetch after I paint detailed them on the sprue.

I have learned a lot of tricks over the 50+ years I have been doing this, but unfortunately, my best modeling is behind me. I still enjoy it, but my physical limitations are catching up to me.

Is the blue one a Revell also?

Yes, I built it to represent a L-88 Coupe. The red roadster build was so enjoyable to me that when I did the coupe, I added detail that was not available to me at the time.

2005_11261967CorvetteL88Coupe0005.jpg

I opened up the side gills, added various pieces of the MCG Photo-etch for the '66-67 Corvette, the MCW Marina Blue lacquer, A real Wood Steering Wheel from Replicas and Miniatures, Detail Master Aluminum Disc Brakes, a set of American Torque Thrust Wheels and Good Year Blue Streaks from the Revell 32 Ford 3-Window, and a homemade L-88 air cleaner made from sprue. I consider this one one of my best builds.

both look great ron,but I really like the 67 coupe :wub:

The '67 Coupe came out great, and I love it, as well as the roadster. Wait until you see the next Corvette on my bench. I am not telling what I am going to build, but trust me, it will be every bit as good in its own right. And it's ready for paint!!!!!