Model Cars Magazine Forum

1958 Pontiac Bonneville convertible ,,finally done

gtx6970

I am calling this one finished,,,.

I bought a few months back on a whim,,thinking I would get to it someday.

After doing a google image search for my files,,,someday turned into that day. This car just looked to cool.

I pushed everything else aside and dove right in.

Painted in gloss black laquer, duplicolor red coves and Upol urethane clear top coat. The polished out with rubbing compund followed by a light waxing to make her shine.

Interrior is done in the same duplicolor red with white accents. Embossing powder for the carpeting look . And Tamiya dark red for the top boot .

I had to repair the broken vent wing frame so I was afraid of pushing to hard to really polish out the BMF but thruned out pretty good .

Chassis is done in red primer with some details picked out with testors enamels .

All the chrome is new Modelhaus stuff ( originals are bagged and put away and will get replated someday later on whne I get enough to make it costs effective )

Its not perfect. As I build for me not contests. But this one is hands down my favorite build that I've ever done. And looks killer in my case . I have to get a super fine tipped brush then I plan to redo the black on the side vents .

Also Ive attached a picture that was my insperation. I thought about all black or with white coves instead ,,but the black and red looked just looked right so I had to do it.

comments of all kinds welcome.

Thanks for cking in

post-9887-0-74613200-1427311402_thumb.jp

post-9887-0-57609300-1427311414_thumb.jp

post-9887-0-54580500-1427311423_thumb.jp

post-9887-0-46202100-1427311435_thumb.jp

post-9887-0-23691800-1427311446_thumb.jp

post-9887-0-40476600-1427311499_thumb.jp

Did you think about ordering a set of '58 Bonneville hubcaps since you ordered parts from Modelhaus?

Steve

Steve.

Actually I did buy a set of them ...but I was afraid of trying to remove these from the tires. So I may change them out later.

Problem is the tires on this are hard as a rock......I was afraid of causing damage to either the wheels or the tires. So I am looking for alternative tires to fit the modelhaus wheels.

Edited by gtx6970

That is gorgeous! I wasn't here prior to 2 weeks ago, so would you mind telling me if this is a resin body, a resin kit, or an injection molded plastic kit (although I'm pretty sure nobody had made one)?

Also, are those Modelhaus bumpers? If so, you have a real talent for chroming - that's some of the best homemade chrome I've seen! What's your secret?

That is gorgeous! I wasn't here prior to 2 weeks ago, so would you mind telling me if this is a resin body, a resin kit, or an injection molded plastic kit (although I'm pretty sure nobody had made one)?

Also, are those Modelhaus bumpers? If so, you have a real talent for chroming - that's some of the best homemade chrome I've seen! What's your secret?

Its an original AMT plastic kit. I bought it off ebay about 3 months ago . It was builtup, but didnt appear it ever had any paint on it .

Yes they are Modelhaus bumpers , head light and tail lights .

I have the originals but untill I can get enough bumpers gathered up to have replated. I decided to go resin,,,and they come already chrome plated

This is what it looked like when I got it .

post-9887-0-76581300-1427323289_thumb.jp

Steve.

Actually I did buy a set of them ...but I was afraid of trying to remove these from the tires. So I may change them out later.

Problem is the tires on this are hard as a rock......I was afraid of causing damage to either the wheels or the tires. So I am looking for alternative tires to fit the modelhaus wheels.

Could have got a set of tires from Modelhaus @ the same time. I love his tires! Just as good or better than anything else on the market. I just ordered 4 more sets myself recently. I know what you mean about these old annual tires. I've got a whole box of them. I never re-use them. Yeah, you really have to have a "system" for getting wheels out of these tires without damaging the wheel. I don't think you could hurt those tires with a blow torch & a sledge hammer! :D

Steve