Model Cars Magazine Forum

Korben Dallas' Personal Cruiser

Raul_Perez

This was a quick build for me, and if you look close enough...it's starting to show a little. I really rushed the paint on this one and I'm starting to see a bit of ghosting from the bodywork. That's actually OK for this build...this was meant to be a 1953 Stude upgraded with a bit of hover-craft technology to fly the skies of 2263!!

Here's a view of the picture I used for the base of the diorama. It's a picture looking down on the New York cityscape that I grabbed from the special effects DVD right after Leeloo jumped from the building. It was also the picture that helped me decide what color to paint the car.

Dioramabase-vi.jpg

I may shorten the brass stem about another inch and paint it black...but I'll wait a couple of days to see how I like it the way it is before I do...

DSC07665-vi.jpg

DSC07675-vi.jpg

DSC07676-vi.jpg

DSC07668-vi.jpg

Here's a shot of the forward tilting hood.

DSC07669-vi.jpg

You can see better pics of the engine bay and the interior under the the link to the build.

Well, this one's about 99.99% done. A few minor touch-ups here and there and it'll be ready for the Stockton show.

Later,

Edited by Raul_Perez

Thanks, guys!!

Yes, this was a really quick build by my standards...and only the second model I've finished so far this year.

Yes, I've used clear rod in the past. There's always the trade-off between the smaller size and strength of a wire rod versus a larger diameter and clarity of clear rod to deal with. For this build I went with strength of the brass rod because with all of the plastic used to make the bottom and the interior, this one is actually a bit on the heavy side, (for a plastic model).

Later,

A Stude hovercraft!? NOW I've seen everything! No, wait... I've never seen a talking spider... so I guess I've seen JUST ABOUT everything. Very cool.

One idea- instead of painting the rod black, maybe try replacing it with a clear one? Perhaps just a length of polished clear kit sprue... you've GOT to have some of that on hand, right?

It's very nice! Usually I don't like ''flying future cars'', but this one is very good looking! Great conversion work with it this is unusual! Engine looks nice what I see from the picture and painjob looks very good too. It was very great to read that topic in ''On The Workbench'' section and now to look at those finished pictures. Thank yuo for sharing this one!

Thanks, guys!! This one was a lot of fun to build!!

After I show it at the NNL West early next year, I'll be boxing it up and shipping it to our Studebaker loving Marine friend, Clay Jones.

Curt and I took a road trip today down to Bakersfield to meet Clay for lunch and do a bit of hobby shopping. If you're ever in Bakersfield, don't bother looking for hobby shops. The only one we found that was remotely close to being a hobby shop was a vacuum repair shop that also sold RC cars, parts and some models. All they had at the time were a few of the Revell choppers.

Well, I'm planning on building one more hover-car, probably from a Revell '49 Merc. We'll see...

Later,

I've looked at this a dozen times already and still don't know what to say..

Except,

AWESOME!!!!.

Looks like it came straight out of the movie.

Now if he had any driving credits left, I'm sure he'd love to take it for a Spin. :lol:

Awesome work and great Imagination!!

Thanks!!

After saving the world from certain doom, he got all of his credits back...along with a lifetime exemption from any and all traffic violations. B)

Later,

Are you kidding...I only went over 80 to pass a couple of trucks...and, we got passed by a Prius!!

Anyway, I had a GREAT day!! Thanks guys!!

No thank you guys for everything!! The lunch, the kit, the supplies, and the ride around Bakersfield!!