Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tom Waites has a song titled "What's He Doing In There" about a guy with a neighbor that does odd things at all hours. This project might be what the neighbor is working on. It started as a 41 Cevy pickup and the more I worked on it the more ideas came along. I wanted a straight eight and imagineered a DOC set up. The base is the engine from the Mercedes 540K (also found in the Rommel Rod). It needed to be low but done old school so the frame was "C ed". The front is a suicide set up with a Model A spring grafted onto the kit axel. Next came the wheels and tires. The rear tires are also from the Mercedes kit (nice snap in whitewalls) and the rims are from the 77 GMC wrecker. The front are artillery wheels and tires from Replicas and Miniatures (good stuff to be found there). The boom also needed to be old school so it's scratch built. The winch is from the 77 GMC too. The grill has one horizontal bar removed to keep it from sticking above the engine too much. Now the interior is calling.There's still lots of work to be done but this project is building it's self. I had one of these back in the day and i liked it a lot except for the enclosed drive shaft.

P1040856-vi.jpg

P1040862-vi.jpg

P1040864-vi.jpg

P1040877-vi.jpg

P1040887-vi.jpg

P1040879-vi.jpgP1040878-vi.jpg

Love the direction this one's going! Can't get enough of rat rods with artillery wheels and unusual engines.

Tom Waites has a song titled "What's He Doing In There" about a guy with a neighbor that does odd things at all hours.

I think "The Man Upstairs" by Voltaire might fit, too. I won't post a link to the song or anything because of some language, but it's a hillarious song in a twisted kind of way. B)

Richard, The wheels are Model Masters Guard Red with a flat black wash, a rust wash, and some "weathering" dust rubbed in. I discovered the weathering powders while doing a Rommel's Rod as a shop truck and a 51 chevy WIP (see my Gallery here) and really like what it can do. Tamiya sells a couple of weathering things that work quite well. I've also heard of people using artists chalks but haven't tried that yet. I believe that the washes and dusts add a lot of depth and realism to a model. You can simulate dirty hand smuges on hoods, around gas caps, window cranks, door handles.....

Richard, The wheels are Model Masters Guard Red with a flat black wash, a rust wash, and some "weathering" dust rubbed in. I discovered the weathering powders while doing a Rommel's Rod as a shop truck and a 51 chevy WIP (see my Gallery here) and really like what it can do. Tamiya sells a couple of weathering things that work quite well. I've also heard of people using artists chalks but haven't tried that yet. I believe that the washes and dusts add a lot of depth and realism to a model. You can simulate dirty hand smuges on hoods, around gas caps, window cranks, door handles.....

thnx , well today i'm going to a large shop here in holland and i will look at allthe different powders and weather sets :P