Model Cars Magazine Forum

This is just my opinion : anything in a Ford, but why mess with the other stuff?

and have you compared the two , dimensionally ? :D Weight ? :lol: Power out put ? :P Parts availability ? :huh: it don't happen for a reason, or two , or three. ;)

Dimentionally? wouldn't matter without a hood :P

Weight? I doubt there's much difference ;)

Power output? in '57, the 312 made more power than the 283. The fuel injected 283 made 283 hp. The supercharged 312 made 300 hp. The carburated 312 made 245 hp. The carburated 283 made 195 hp. :P

Parts availability? in the late '50s -early '60s, there were probably as many, if not more Y blocks around as there were small block Chevies.

Chevy engines are cheaper. But, you get what you pay for. :P

I tend to be a purist, especially when it comes to street rods or street machines, but there are some combos that I can appreciate. I especially like how funny cars can have "Mustang", etc., in their graphics while in reality, they're all powered by a form of Chrysler's Hemi.

I understand back in the late '50's or '60's putting a SBC into your street rod.

What gets me is when someone builds a 1:1 show rod or F-100 and they customize every little piece on the vehicle, import leather from europe for the interior, use some rare African wood for the bed floor, chrome what can be chromed, then put a $10,000 paint job on it, have Chip Foose make a special one-off set of wheels and add the biggest brakes Wilwood ever made.

You get all excited, you're thinking this is the most amazing car I've ever seen, then you look under the hood and what do you see?

A 350/350 combo! Really?

You spend $100,000 on building this vehicle, call in all kinds of favors to to it done "right" and you save money on the power plant? Really?

Why build a truck/car for a show? To show off!

Do something different! None of the rest of your car/truck looks like anyone elses, why should the engine compartment?

Now THAT doesn't make any sense . :blink: Especially when one looks at all of the older and newer exotic Ford engines available. 429 SOHC, Boss 429, INDY 4 Cam, any of the newer single , double cam , multi valve Cobra blower motors. :P

Edited by Greg Myers

I understand back in the late '50's or '60's putting a SBC into your street rod.

What gets me is when someone builds a 1:1 show rod or F-100 and they customize every little piece on the vehicle, import leather from europe for the interior, use some rare African wood for the bed floor, chrome what can be chromed, then put a $10,000 paint job on it, have Chip Foose make a special one-off set of wheels and add the biggest brakes Wilwood ever made.

You get all excited, you're thinking this is the most amazing car I've ever seen, then you look under the hood and what do you see?

A 350/350 combo! Really?

You spend $100,000 on building this vehicle, call in all kinds of favors to to it done "right" and you save money on the power plant? Really?

Why build a truck/car for a show? To show off!

Do something different! None of the rest of your car/truck looks like anyone elses, why should the engine compartment?

This!!!!!!!!

If you're going to be blowing that kind of green, why not go for an GM LS Motor, Ford Mod Motor, or late model Chrysler Hemi with matching trans too?

Some swaps are done because the chosen engine fits better than others. The small-block Chevy fits early Fords better than most Ford engines. The Chevy has the oil pan sump at the rear, starter on the passenger side, distributor at the back where it lines up with the firewall recess for the Ford fuel pump. Early Buick engines were also used; same configuration as the Chevy except for the starter being on the drivers' side. The engine-to-transmission adapter would move the starter to the other side, and get it away from the steering box. A lot of these early swaps were done with little or no welding, so reversing the sump on an oil pan was a big deal back then.

If you look through the old Rod & Custom or Street Rodder magazines, you'll find the occasional Forties Mopar or Chevy running a small-block Ford engine. The Ford is narrower/longer than a small-block Chevy, so it was used in situations where an inline six was being replaced. I was looking at one of those old Petersen Publishing Chrysler books the other day. Nearly all of the Mopar street rods were running Chevy engines! This was before Mopar Performance got aggressive with advertising to the street rod crowd (anyone remember the "Bored with Ford?" ad campaign?). It seemed like, after that, more rodders started using same-make engines in their builds. Some guys still don't care what name is on the engine though...they go with what they like.

kinda reminds me about the ZZtop Eliminator kit i once built...

i always tought it was a 350 sbc in there...i guess looking closer it's not

but what is it ?..beats me

The Eliminator kit has the Pontiac V8 that was in earlier issues of Monogram's '34 Ford. The Eliminator was a decent enough curbside kit, but most of the chassis was wrong for it. The later Thom Taylor cabriolet kit (further alteration to the Eliminator) has the chassis cleaned up (molded-in exhaust cleaned off, 9" Ford rear end). Right off the top of my head, though, I can't recall if they changed the engine for that version.

An interesting aside when building model hot rods, and you really do have a choice, I'd bet most just go with what's in the kit. I call this "brand of convenience"

I saw this a lot when I was teaching High School Auto Shop. Not unlike my own choices of early years. Grampa, Uncle Ed. ol' aunty Mary , died and passed on their lovingly kept car, whatever it was and I'm mighty proud of it, Buford, Stude or what ever. :)

Lucky for me, after years of nursing a Model A I dragged home, my Brother told me Dad had found Me something that ran, and I was blessed with a '56 Chevy Bel Air V8. So my allegiance switched overnight from Ford to Chevrolet. B)

Old Hot Rod adage : "Run what ya brung." :lol:

Haven't built the Revell Deuce highboy roadster yet, but when I do I think I'll stick a 350/350 in it. Red highboy, small-block Chevy, 9" Ford rear axle, four-bar suspension front and rear, maybe a set of steelies...can't get much more generic than that.

Haven't built the Revell Deuce highboy roadster yet, but when I do I think I'll stick a 350/350 in it. Red highboy, small-block Chevy, 9" Ford rear axle, four-bar suspension front and rear, maybe a set of steelies...can't get much more generic than that.

Yer just joshin' right ? :lol: If not ,that new (?) Stacey David kit is a good start. :D Speaking of which, has anyone seen one built into anything? :huh:

Now that you mention it, that is almost the Concrete Barricade Beige Metallic Toyota Camry of Hot Rods. Nothing truely offensive, yet nothing to make you want to stop and look either............just safe and almost boring.

Never thought I would refer to a '32 Ford as boring?!

Edited by Joe Handley

Back in the 80's I had a 50 Ford pickup. It had a flat head in it and when winter time came, I had not checked the anti freeze in it. Well after a hard freeze one night, it developed a crack in the block. Parked it for a while after that.

I liked the truck a lot but couldn't afford a new motor.

A neighbor across the street worked at the local Chevy dealership and he had a garage behind his house that he worked on his drag car and other things.

He told me one day that he had just taken a 262 and transmission out of a car that the owner wanted a bigger motor in his. He offered to put it in my truck. He said they only made this motor a couple of years and didn't know how much trouble it would be but I told him to help me push the truck over and he could do it.

I didn't check with him for a good week and low and behold, he drove it back in my driveway.

It was an automatic trans. and from what he told me, it bolted straight up including the driveshaft. He said all he had to do was make a small adapter for the transmission to the frame and everything went right together.

I couldn't believe it.

From what he kept telling me, the truck was made for a Chevy motor more than the Ford flathead.

I had to make a gear shift extender for the floor board shift and this thing sure put some rubber down on the road.

The rearend was a good match and it didn't over rev. or bog down when driving. I finally traded it to a friend for a Corvair Monza.

Wish I still had both of these autos.

Richard

• 2 weeks later...

Brings to mind, back in the day when everyone switched to Chrysler power for their funny cars, didn't make any difference what the body was.

Then to make matters worse, in the eye of the purist, all of the track announcers and anyone talking about said cars always referred to them by the make of the body. :o not the engine.

The jest of it being, the Chrysler HEMI was KING. Sure Ford had their Shotgun SOHC and their Boss 429, Mickey Thompson gave us some other wonderful Hemi motors and the Chevy Porcupine Splayed valve BIG block 427 did a great job for awhile, but the Chrysler HEMI was King, :P not unlike the switch to the small block Chevy V-8 265 / 283 / 327 / 350. :D

Edited by Greg Myers

A very unique car ................................

Meanwhile , I still work on a variety of older cars for clients I've had for years . Most own either old Muscle cars , or old cars that need total restorations . I myself , I own a couple of Ford Flathead engines , one needing everything . My point is this . try pricing out engine re build parts . Sure Chevrolets are a dime a dozen . Parts are plentiful and you have a vast interchangeability . If yer looking for an in expensive way to have a street rod , buy the Chevrolet power plant . If you want Torque , hummmmm, Oldsmobile certainly comes to mind . Problem is , the amount of "Off the shelf" speed equipment isn't as great . Same goes for a lot of Chrysler engines . They aren't nearly as tolerant with "Mix an Match " as even the Fords . If space is a factor , the Small Ford , 260-302 is a logical choice . Chevrolet fills the bill too. For pure nostalgia , try a 390 Cadillac , a Buick "Nail Head " , or a 34o Chrysler ................

Edited by Eshaver