Model Cars Magazine Forum

With a little inspiration, there is quite a bit you can do with this kit, just like the real ones!

Surviving BRE Baja Racer

008_zpsfe122b57.jpg

Pete Brocks Personal 510 with Vette Engine in it

010_zpsbc170a4f.jpg

And my friend Victors car with a Supercharged VG33E Xterra engine in it. The wheels are 15X8 in front and 15X9 in the rear. So yes, you can fit bigger wheels in them if you get creative!

DSCF6531_zps32ead096.jpg

WOW love the 1:1 shots! I am really wanting to find a 1:1 510 I have a original Brock kit along with the Bre 240z and then the strett tuner kit as well. I am looking forward to picking up a couple of the new re release Brock kits

• 2 weeks later...

You are correct, Sir. The wagon is a solid axle car. My friend stuck a Ford 8.8 rear end in his. So, one can mod as needed, and there are a few wagons that have the IRS conversion on them. It is pretty wild to see a wagon with tons of negative camber!

Ok I am not a huge datsun guy so some of you may roll your eyes at me. A neighbor had a datsun when I was a kid I remember it had a decal on the fender stating its was a honey bee. First off is that an option package on the 510 second if it wasn't what datsun was it

I drove a red '79 Z28.in high school in the mid 90's

Fastest.car in.school.

One of those Darn honey bee Datsuns got voted best car for senior.awards.

It was a pile too.

It was cute and the voters were girls! :P

Jesse, how much different is the Bluebird over the 510. Is it just the roofline and the tail lights?

Ok, all Datsun 510 cars in Japan are called Bluebirds. U.S. is Datsun 510 and the rest of the world, Datsun 1600. The fastback style roof version is a Bluebird Coupe and it has that very distinctive roof line. The roof is actually lower and thus none of the glass interchanges between the coupe and the two door.

BBCoupeComp_zps1ffb3827.jpg

The tail lights are another telltale sign that it is a coupe. There where other tail light options in Japan and other countries, but, but the coupe just came with one style. And yes, they are sequential

BBcoupe1_zpsdb61121d.jpg

And the interior is also special to the Coupe, with a full compliment of gauges instead of idiot lights. Also, the rear seat folds down to make more trunk space and the door panels run all the way to the top of the door for a more luxurious effect!

BBcoupedash_zpsc7cd63d2.jpg

They also came with the SSS package with includes a more sporty engine with dual carbs and some flashy SSS badges. The Coupe was mostly a Japan only car and it was not offered in the U.S. Over the years a few have been imported along with some of the unique parts and they have been used by guys like me with the domestic version of the car.

Hope that helps!

Jesse C,

Man I'd love to go for a spin in a real 510, sadly here it the rust belt nothing with "vintage" and "Japanese" in the same sentence survived. I remember my mind being blow by all the rarities I saw on my trip to Cali last year, one day I'll have a Datsun...one day.

Saw one at the first autocross I ever went to and fell in love. Finally found a good one and raced it in the mid 90s. It had a 2.0 in it and handled like a go-kart. Sold it to a guy in New York that built a vintage racer out of it. Wish I still had it but that goes for a number of cars that I've owned.

• 10 months later...

Greetings,

If it helps or if it might be of interest, I think TSM is doing a series of BRE 510's in 1:18th resin. Delays have been encountered time and again, but it's said these prefinished diecast/sealed shell resin models are coming. Maybe visit the Pete Brock website/page to find updates. Thanks...

Mike K.