Model Cars Magazine Forum

Building season is back! 1904 De Dion Bouton

Harry P.

They look great Harry and thinking 'out of box' on the stain is great.

But how does the craft acrylic adhere to the bare styrene without a spritz of primer?

It adheres well enough to do the job. Sure, it will scratch off the bare plastic easily, but these wheels aren't going to be subject to any wear and tear. All they have to do is look nice on the model... :D

It adheres well enough to do the job. Sure, it will scratch off the bare plastic easily, but these wheels aren't going to be subject to any wear and tear. All they have to do is look nice on the model... :D

Hmmm, I can just picture a set of artillery wheels finished like that on a 1/8 scale---say--29 Rolls Phantom I converted to a military utility vehicle. Made by a company that starts with a 'P'.

HINT, HINT, hint...

More progress...

The firewall and toe board are made of basswood, stained with the same stain I used on the wheels, then sprayed with several coats of Rustoleum 2x Gloss Clear. I made the brass edge trim on the firewall/dash out of 1/16" square K&S brass rod. I surprised myself by bending it to shape perfectly on the first try!

I flowed a tiny bit of CA between the edges of the firewall and the brass trim, then sprayed the unit with more Rustoleum 2x Clear Gloss to help "lock" the brass trim in place.

The kit has no decals for the instrument faces, so I found gauge faces online and printed them to size and glued them to the kit gauges. I added bezels that are rings cut from K&S brass tubing, and the "glass" on the gauges is clear 5-minute epoxy. The "brass" sill plates on the sides of the floorboard are gold BMF.

DD18_zpsb047ec25.jpg

You're just hateful Harry-hateful... :angry:

I think you tend to overthink things a bit.

My modeling rule is if there's a hard way to do something, or a simple way that gets pretty much the same end result... I pick easy every time! :D

But seriously... there are different types of brass, some much more prone to snapping or cracking when you bend it. The brass parts included in Pocher kits is the brittle kind that snaps and breaks if you try and bend it. And if you bend it and then try to straighten it back out and re-bend... forget it. It'll break. But I've found K&S brass to be much more malleable (is that the right word?), and you can bend it way past 90 degrees and it won't crack or break.

On the Pocher Alfas, they supply you with brass rod that you are supposed to bend into shape according to the diagrams in the instruction manual to form the oil lines. That's where I found out about the brittle Pocher brass. My first attempt was off a bit and the oil line wouldn't fit. But when I tried to straighten out a bend to try it again... SNAP. It broke. So I replaced the Pocher brass rod with K&S, which is much more forgiving and can be bent and re-bent many times without breaking.

I think you tend to overthink things a bit.

My modeling rule is if there's a hard way to do something, or a simple way that gets pretty much the same end result... I pick easy every time! :D

You will see just how correct you are when I post in my RR thread later today....... :wacko:

And yes, the brass I used from the kit, I had to anneal every time. But the K&S (round) brass rod I've used did not provide much resistance and didn't work-harden.

I was just surprised the rectangular you used did not deform cold.

The radiator was assembled from the four kit pieces. I sprayed the part with the cooling fins silver and then blackwashed it to define the fins. Luckily this was a separate part; that made detail painting it easy. The "brass" shell was sprayed Rustoleum Metallic Brass and then Testors Transparent Window Tint. I added the brass line on the side (brass rod, "nut" cut from styrene hex-shaped rod and drilled out, and real rubber "hose" (hollow rubber tubing found in the jewelry making aisle at HL), and BMF "hose clamps." The De Dion Bouton logo was found online, printed to scale, cut out, and attached to the radiator with Future.

As a reference, the radiator is about an inch wide.

DD19_zps4b00cd7d.jpg

Just a nice shelf model he says. Looks pretty detailed to me. : )

No engine in this kit, it's a curbside (it does have a basic "block" that's visible from the underside, but nothing under the hood). So no worries about detailing the engine... the hood gets glued shut. Just a nice shelf model... :D

I am certainly no metallurgist, but I wonder if the K & S brass has a higher copper content, allowing it to bend easier than the Pocher kit brass?

I'm no metallurgist either, but the two types of brass must have a different composition, because they react to bending very differently.

The kit has rear brake drums, but no linkages, so here are a few scratchbuilt components for the brake and shift linkages (the black painted parts are kit parts). The brake rods will be made of brass rod once I have the linkages painted and installed... and I can measure for the rod lengths:

DD20_zps20da3041.jpg