Model Cars Magazine Forum

Doing a little overhaulin to the "Elky"

Not sure if I ever did a thread about this earlier. Hmmm, the absentminded professor strikes again.....

I have a '72 El Camino, red with black stripes, SS hood, 350/350, old "Americans" with straight spokes.

Anyway, I thought it was about time to do something with the engine. Since I was in California in February, and attended the NNL West, I also bought a bunch of stuff for the engine. It used to look like this for many years:

IMG_2507.jpg

A few years ago, I got a ticking lifter. So while that was taken care of, I did some minor overhaulin, and it looked like this up until now, or Easter:

IMG_2854.jpg

My son was visiting me for Easter, so I had him help out. He took the pic as the dirty engine comes out

IMG_5194.jpg

Ok, fastforward a couple of months. I bought aluminum heads, as part ot of the Edelbrock top end kit, and an aluminum water pump

IMG_5367.jpg

A few days later it looked like this: I want it to be more "stock" looking....

IMG_5368.jpg

Edited by Modellpularn

It's back into the car, with most of the hoses and other stuff attached in this pic. I have some minor adjustments to do before I'll try to fire it. Cross your fingers.........

IMG_5420.jpg

I have added a longer hose between the front float bowl, and the T connection. It looks better now. Maybe it was me, but it had a strange turn to it....

IMG_5408.jpg

The tranny was leaking, so I bought a new pan from Summit.

IMG_5412.jpg

This was done three years ago. The seat is from a 74-75 Chevelle, and was able to get this combo done for me: maroon velour/black naugahyde. From a company on the East coast.

Edited by Modellpularn

Looks great so far Hans!!!

Thanks Jeff! It feels good to get feedback from a fellow Chevy guy. Well, I was down to the garage, made a new ground wire, and tightened the power steering belt. I figured it was ready to fire. So I gave it a shot of fuel. But it backfired, and flames came from the carb. Hmmm, something's not right here....Maybe I got the distributor a half turn off? So I switched the wires around, putting #1 at #6. Now I got it to fire a little bit, but not all the way. Then my buddy came by, and we tried to figure out what was wrong. He left, and I tinkered some more. Finally I removed the distributor, and turned it back where it should be, plus one notch at the cam gear. I thought:"this has to be right" Plugged the wires back in their right places, and got inside. Turned the key, and it roared into life right away!!

Really nice looking!! I've always LOVED those LT1 valve covers!

I know it drives some people crazy when you paint aluminum heads, but I think it looks great! I bet she woke up quite a bit too, huh? B)

I knew someone about 12-13 years ago (when I used to go to the "2:00am street races"), that had a '71 Chevelle and built a WICKED looking aluminum headed big block for it. Like 800hp+ naturally aspirated... One day my friend and I went to his house to see his new motor in the car and he had the whole darn thing painted Black, and I mean THE WHOLE THING, from intake to oil pan. Even had his new ceramic coated headers painted black!

Anyway, to make a long story short - It was really dark at the spot where we used to race and some people raced for some big bucks. You could hardly see a thing under his hood, and he won a LOT of money that summer! LOL! Of course, eventually, everyone found out what the car really had.

Cool story Wayne! It's funny you said that about the valve covers. When I decided to change them, these were my only choice! I was going to adjust the rockers today/nite, but thought it was better to quit early. Last night I almost collapsed, when I came into my apartment..... :rolleyes: Too much exhaust fumes inside the garage, it was like we say "The Lutzen fog" from an old historic battleground. You guys probably say something similar, but I can't figure out what it is......

Excellent! Wonderful transformation.

Thanks Virgil! I'm quite pleased myself. Now I have to retorque the heads, just to be sure. And Edelbrock recommends you do it. But that means I have to remove the headers....to get to all the bolts. Ooh well.... More work! Never ending story. And then I have to go to the inspection place with the car. If they think it's safe and ok, I can relax and do some tinkering during the winter. The SS/Monte Carlo dash swap is next up.

• 2 months later...

Small update: I've had it out for a short test drive, and you feel there's more power now. I might need to do a final valve train adjustment, to get it perfect. The vehicle inspection is put on hold until the spring. We got snow Saturday, so now it's not the best conditions..... But some days it can be cold and dry roads. I'll probably have to pull the tranny, guess the seal around the converter shaft is leaking.... I know, I should have taken it out while the engine was out. I thought about it too.... Maybe it was a bit intense for a while. Oh well, I'll have the winter to fix it and do the SS dash swap. Have a new grille, buy a new front bumper, new carpet....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

That is a nice El Camino, Hans. Are there many of them driving around in Sweden?

Well Erik, there used to be a lot, 'cus in the 70's many people imported Elkys from the US. Import duties were much lower on pickup trucks. Nowadays you don't see as many. This is my second El Camino, I've had it for almost 11 years. The first one was a '70 SS454, and I should have kept it..... :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...