Model Cars Magazine Forum

"portable" modeling kit...grab and go?

I like these ideas... but could anyone tell me how I could curb my problem of constantly losing parts when I'm working in one room of the house before I take my hobby on the road with me? :D

Sounds like you need one of those hobby "bibs"! Looks like the kind of over the neck smock a butcher would wear except it attaches to the table providing a "catch basin" so you "Never lose a part again!" (as the ad copy went) You also never walk again after you forget you're wearing it and try to quickly get up from your chair.

I use a Plano 3730 that has adjustable compartments to keep enought tools, glues, a few odds and ends parts, brushes, clamps, etc. Then just grab a kit or two. The reason I like the Plano box is you can drop it and the latches will stay closed! Don't ask how I know this! Even dropped it once and that time I had a bottle of paint in it too. Surpised me that the paint jar didn't break, but maybe I got lucky that one time. But then again the Testors liquid cement jar has never broken either. I have kept the old square jars from years ago because they fit easily in the comprtment. New bottles are too tall, so I just dump them into the old square ones and go. Couple of kits and the boc fit in a plastic bag and easy to carry into the motel.

• 2 months later...

Being an old slotracer, I had a great pit box. Just swapped out the slot stuff for models. In 1968 I built an AMT 32 Ford while on the road with the parents doing vacation. They were none too happy when I sprayed some of the back seat gold. Imagine painting a model in the back seat at 65mph. Similar thing happened a couple years later. While building the AMT Chevy ll AWB in our motel room, the dresser "accidentally" got a lot of overspray. The model, however, came out as one of my best!