Model Cars Magazine Forum

1911 Buick Model 14 "Buggyabout" FINISHED!

Harry P.

I detailed the headlights by painting the inside silver and black, per reference photos. I also added the acetylene burner nozzles, and drilled open the eight vent holes at the top of each headlight housing. The lenses were "glued" by putting them in place and flowing a little Future around their edges. The grille and "Buick" emblem got a Future/acrylic black wash to highlight the details:

grille_zps3eb7ca5d.jpg

Since you've been so kind to answer questions, Harry, 'halibut' this one:

What size of round rod are you using to make the connectors for the spark plugs?

The spark plugs themselves are brass rod painted white. The connectors are made of very small diameter aluminum tubing (1/16" O.D. Not precisely to scale, but that's what I happened to have "in stock!" :D ).

I crimp the end with flat-jawed pliers to flatten it and drill a hole through the flattened end. Then I cut off the connector from the tubing about 3/32" from the flattened area (I don't measure, I just eyeball it). That gives me a connector with one end flat (and a hole drilled through the flat part that will slip down over the brass rod "spark plug"), and the other end (the open round end) that receives the ignition wire.

Unlike many kits of brass-era cars, the fenders and running boards (and even the front fender splash aprons) in this kit are separate parts, so detailing the running boards was easier than with the typical fenders/running board "all in one" setup. I sprayed the running boards semigloss black and added the "brass" trim on the edges with gold BMF. The "rivets" that attach the fender brackets to the fenders are more of those tiny brass ship model hull planking nails (they have 101 uses!).

I figured the fenders would be easier to install as a unit, so I assembled the fenders, running boards, and all the individual fender brackets first... so now I'll have just one assembly to install on each side of the chassis.

fenders_zps81bf5d7f.jpg

Hello,

I'm a newbie here; I'm familiar with Buick model 14's.

The scale version you built (nice job!) is sometimes refered to as the model 14A. There is also a slightly

different variant, the model 14B. It has the exterior mounted rear gas tank, straight rear fenders,

wooden dashboard/ firewall and shorter runningboards.

Thanks,

Joe Kieliszek

1911 Buick model 14B

1910 Buick model 10

Brass cars rule (when they run)

Great job Harry. Taking a "simple" kit like this and adding the detail and textures as you did exemplifies the difference between the larger scales and the 1/25s or such.

I disagree with a prior poster with the idea of abolishing this "big boys" thread.

But if you ever do spark plug cables like these on a 1/25th "simple" kit, please use UPPER case on your title. I wouldn't want to miss it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Harry, I am trying for one of these listed on eBay..........and I am so impressed with your build of this little jewel.......but I hate to admit what I am wanting this kit for. Want the lights, wheels and white tires f/a 1903 Caddy :rolleyes: .

I will build the kit @ a later date using the parts replaced from the Caddy kit.

Rick B)

Harry, I am trying for one of these listed on eBay..........and I am so impressed with your build of this little jewel.......but I hate to admit what I am wanting this kit for. Want the lights, wheels and white tires f/a 1903 Caddy :rolleyes: .

I will build the kit @ a later date using the parts replaced from the Caddy kit.

Rick B)

Do what you have to do!

I think it's absolutely ridiculous to have to post this work in progress in a weird "Big Boyz" thread where many members will miss it and be able to comment on it. There is zero need for a "Big Boyz" thread and it should be abolished, and be incorporated into the general Workbench and under Glass topics. But, just like the many people who think there should be a simple "Competition" category instead of NASCAR, Drag Cars, etc., that would include all racing genres, I know that this thought will go totally ignored.

I agree with both points Skip, I think these changes would get more people into other genres which can't be bad. Is there a man who can, Harry (subject to a members poll of course)?

BTW almost forgot to add - another museum class model I reckon, Harry!

Edited by DonW

I agree with both points Skip, I think these changes would get more people into other genres which can't be bad. Is there a man who can, Harry (subject to a members poll of course)?

BTW almost forgot to add - another museum class model I reckon, Harry!

Thanks, Don.

Gregg wants large scale models separated from the rest. Don't really know why, but it's his forum.

• 1 year later...