Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Take-A-Turn Torino Project

Casey

I like that stance but it's hard to get on this front suspension so be prepared for that. I will also need to know the measurement from floor to ground in engine bay so I know headers will fit.

Yes, there is probably a limit to how low it can go, and I'm guessing it's not a whole low lower than the stock height, especially when using larger diameter tires.

Fred, do you have a pic of a completed Torino showing how low the headers hang?

I'll be doing the interior Ron. I can do the necessary BMF there. That way I can do the door panels lying flat before assembling the whole thing.

Nice work so far Andrew! B)

Oh, I really like the extra rims that Casey sent in the mock up, but I prefer some shiny on my wheels. At least the hoops anyway! They could either be alcladed, sleeved with aluminum, or sent out for plating? I do have a bunch of stuff about ready for the plater, I could send them along too if we decide to go that route...

Best pic I could find of a 1:1 :(

rdoorpnl.jpg

OK Jeff, it was just something that came to mind when I saw the pics of the door panels. I do hope that you won't be recreating the hole in the door panel for a missing speaker. :lol: The carbon fiber insert that Fred mentioned might be cool, maybe some on the dash and console too. It would look more modern on a Pro Touring car than woodgrain.

I like the wheels that Casey added to this kit. I was also thinking about the American Racing 200S wheels from the 66 Chevelle wagon on this build (if anybody has a set, I don't). With either of those wheels a painted gunmetal (or maybe body color) center with shiney chrome outer wheel lip is definitely the way to go.

Looking at the pictures, I'd like to suggest that the door handles and side mirrors be pin mounted. I fear that if they were surface mounted, that the final assembler may get glue on the body and since this will be mailed around, they could come off the body. I usually drill a small hole in each piece and glue a straight pin into it. Then I drill a corresponding hole in the body. Most of mine are pretty much a press fit, with a dab of glue added on the inside of the body.

MVC002F-vi.jpg

Here's a photo as an example. It needs to be done before any paint. The mirrors are just press fitted here. Funny thing, on this one I never glued the mirrors in the end.

Someone who is on the assembly list could do this, or if desired I volunteer to do this. I'd need the body, the door handles and the mirrors. I'd do a one week turn around. PM me if interested.

Ok. I did some testing, with a bit of a high spindle pin relocation the mocked up wheels WILL fit no problem and tuck up nicely. They should fit on the front to the point where the top edge of rim is at top of wheel well trim. That's a good spot. The rears should tuck in nicely too to the top of the inner wheel house. At that height the headers will clear and the car will be in the weeds. I also must note that to get the tailpipes to fit properly a small mod is required. The tabs on either side of gas tank need to be trimmed at least 1mm. Doing this gets the tips up closer to the rear pan. Left untouched they hang down too far. Here are some shots of some of the torinos I have built. These are all fairly old but I am happy with thempost-8987-0-24195300-1381197661_thumb.jppost-8987-0-10430100-1381197690_thumb.jppost-8987-0-65657600-1381197722_thumb.jppost-8987-0-83861000-1381197767_thumb.jppost-8987-0-85027800-1381197806_thumb.jppost-8987-0-68056600-1381197847_thumb.jp

I think the stock seats would be fine for a touring theme imo. The seats pictured by Jeff look fantastic though. If the seats were changed I think they should be wide and plush, but they may look slightly odd with a stock rear seat? I wouldn't mind if they were changed, just throwing some thoughts out there.

In the wheel mock-up pics the chassis tub was in place. The front was dropped on the tire and the rear was raised off of the tire. I'm not too sure how helpful that is when it comes to the actual work.

Can we do a Torino awareness thread to get the rest of the roster filled in for the build?

EDIT: The interior minus roll bars and steering column have been finished. I may post some more white parts tomorrow :D

Edited by LokisTyro

Can we do a Torino awareness thread to get the rest of the roster filled in for the build?

Andrew, every time we post in THIS thread it brings awareness to it :lol: You've gotten the ball rolling, once everyone sees how cool it's going to be, we'll get the builders we need...

Fred, your builds look GREAT! I'm totally unfamiliar with this kit as it's one I've never seen the contents of. Is there the option of exposed headlights in the kit, or did you modify the kit hidden-headlight grille???

I kinda like the exposed look myself B)

The exposed lights are from the Torino cobra version which is what my touring car and the base model are built off. All totaled I have done 7 of these kits so I know the quirks. Lol

I do not believe anyone makes the exposed light 70-1 grille. It's alot different from the cobra grille. I may have to try that

Edited by freakshow12

I think the stock seats would be fine for a touring theme imo. The seats pictured by Jeff look fantastic though. If the seats were changed I think they should be wide and plush, but they may look slightly odd with a stock rear seat? I wouldn't mind if they were changed, just throwing some thoughts out there.

That is the same issue I have with changing the seats, I think it looks strange when the front and rears don't match. I think we should keep the build simple and not stray too far from what is in the kit. A wheel change is easy enough but changing seats or engines or scratchbuilding new suspensions will only complicate the build.

Andrew, every time we post in THIS thread it brings awareness to it :lol: You've gotten the ball rolling, once everyone sees how cool it's going to be, we'll get the builders we need...

I suppose you are right. However, I do need someone to send the kit to when I'm finished prepping parts. I can hang onto it until someone signs up for the next step or skip to the next person, but I'm hoping that wont be necessary. Perhaps I'm too eager to get this thing to you guys and see it finished. It wont be long before I'm done and it can move on though. :^)

We may have to take a vote for a decision about the seats? Personally I wouldn't want to start chucking parts from a $40+ kit.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=m570.l3201&_nkw=monogram+torino+gt&_sacat=0

For what it's worth, on my brown one I used the saleen seats in front. Put in the roll bar and deleted the rear seat. In it's place I used the sub boxes and amps from the pro street Lincoln kit. Zero modifications needed and it looked good I thought

I'm sure it did look good, but if we're going the touring route it should have rear seats?

They have the same seats in both kits. Let's just go nice stockish interior. It builds up nice, less complicated that way.

Works for me.

What colors are we going with anyway?

For interior and exterior? We should decided the exterior color first, then chose an interior color which complements the exterior color. Let your exterior color preferences be known. ^_^

A poll only allows us five choices, so simply post your top five (if you have that many) color preferences in order, and I'll manually tally the votes. Your first choice will count as five points, second as four, etc. Here are my choices:

1) Light Metallic Blue

2) Orange

3) Yellow

4) White

As much as I like the green Pro Touring car I posted earlier in the topic, I don't think that color has enough visual punch. With black, all the detail areas and different sheens of black tend to get blended together.

Tom and Roger, are either of you interested in taking part in the build? If so let us know which step remaining on page one you'd like to handle.

I edited the chassis/suspension/exhaust step to include fitting the wheels and tires, since it's best to make sure they fit before any of those areas are finished. If someone wants to handle the wheels and tires alone, we can always break that off into a separate step again.

I would be willing to do chassis mockup to set ride height and stuff I kind of need the exhaust anyway to mate it to headers correctly anyway. Then I can send that stuff to whoever wants to paint, detail and build itEngine won't take me long and since I have built this kit so many times I know I can get it low. Up to you guys...

Edited by freakshow12

Here are the factory 1970 Torino exterior colors, according to this linky:

http://grantorinosport.org/70torino05.htm

SOLIDS: METALLICS:

Black Dark Ivy Green Metallic

Dark Blue Medium Ivy Green Metallic

Dark Maroon Medium Blue Metallic

Red Medium Gold Metallic

Vermilion Bright Gold Metallic

Pastel Blue

Grabber Green

Bright Yellow

Light Gold

Light Ivy Yellow

White

It depends on if we're sticking to factory stock colors, or if 'anything goes'.

The colors in the link that Ron posted doesn't jive with the colors in the link I posted :blink: I'm no blue oval expert by any means, don't know much at all about them in fact. I've just always liked this generation of Torino as my Uncle had a green one like this kit, I've got pleasant childhood memories of riding in it!

1. Orange

2. Yellow

3. Red

4. Blue

5. Green

It depends on if we're sticking to factory stock colors, or if 'anything goes'.

I think we'll decide the color choice first, then decide which particular shade of that color we should paint the car.