Model Cars Magazine Forum

Replacement headlight lenses and headlight buckets

I am looking to drill out the ugly headlights that were part of the kits and promos of the 50's and 60's and looking to replace them with a more realistic separate clear plastic lenses and chrome headlight bucket. Does anyone sell clear headlight lenses and associated headlight buckets to replace these early kit and promo headlights that did not have clear lenses?

Go to a good model train hobby shop and get some MV's. These are excellent lens, with a chrome backing, in various sizes and colors. I would bring the grill with you so you can get the right size.

I've been using them for years and get a lot of comments on them.

Hope this helps.

Yes, MV lenses are good for a lot of model car applications. Not only are they made in larger sizes for use as headlights (except for not having the grid lines on the lens), but various other sizes and colors can be used for taillights, backup lights, interior dome/courtesy lights, dashboard indicator lights and in some cases side marker lights. As long as the light you will be using them for is round they work perfectly.

MV lenses are a great alternative for headlight replacement. When I was building my '69 Daytona Charger years ago, and I wanted working headlight doors, MV lenses came to the rescue.

P5050301-vi.jpg

We have a local train shop just south of me in Gettysburg, PA called Tommy Gilbert's. Tommy has just about every size and color imaginable of MV lenses. Purists though might not like how the lenses don't have the grid that regular headlights have. But for those projects that you may not want to raid other kits for its headlights, MV's are the way to go. ;)

Edited by MrObsessive

The MV lenses are an OK solution, however they can discolor over time. I have one in an OT 48th scale P-39 Airacobra as a landing light, installed in '91, it was clear, now it's a dark transparent yellow.

The ones in this deuce roadster have slowly turned pinkish in the six or seven years since the model was built, and now the deep burgundy Duplicolor seems to be leaching into the edges of the of lenses, giving them a bloodshot look. The problem is significantly worse now than when this shot was taken a little over three and a half years ago.

32LR5-vi.jpg

I do one of two things with chrome head lights. Either drill them out and replace them with kit lenses/buckets or put a thick coat of Testors windshield glue over them.

The glue method isn't perfect. But, it has a pretty convincing illusion to it even up close.

016-4.jpg

Square head lights? Just glue a square lense over them with windshield glue.

011-3.jpg

If it's gotta look as close to the real thing as possible, there's no substitute for kit lenses and buckets.

019_zpsd6da06e2.jpg

• 4 weeks later...