Model Cars Magazine Forum

Resin And Primer

Well this is the first time working with resin and i soaked it for 1/2 hour and scrubbed it very good with dawn, i am confident it was cleaned very good, primed it painted it and it sat for a week now tonight i start to BMF and as i am removing the BMF that is not needed some paint also came up with it i pretty sure i should have used automotive primer and not tamiya fine,,, suggestions????

So you are pulling up paint and primer with the foil, all the way down to the resin part? What kind of instructions for paint prep came with this particular item? I've seen "casters" talking about using silicone spray as a mold release-- I sure hope that isn't the case with your part or you'll probably never get any paint to stick to it.

If you are pulling up paint with the foil but not the primer, then you don't have a resin problem, you have a paint problem.

Soak it in something a little stronger than Dawn for a while; Super Clean or another of the caustic "purple" cleaners is good. Scrub it really well with a toothbrush or your green scrub pad and rinse it really well with clean water. Make sure you scrub the entire surface really, really well. When it's dry, hit it with some primer, wait a day or two and then do a tape test. If your tape pulls up the primer, contact the seller for a replacement or a refund. Polyurethane resin is 100% paintable after an easy prep session IF the caster used the proper materials and techniques when they made the part.

Good luck!

Sometimes when trimming the BMF the blade will cut through the paint and primer right down to the surface, be it resin or plastic, and that is usually because of too much pressure with the blade. When you try again, put several coats of clear over your final paint coat (I usually apply at least 4 coats of clear) and then try using less pressure on your XActo blade when trimming the BMF.

I personally soak all of my resin kits in Wesley's Bleach white over night and scrub with a tooth brush and then I soak in warm water with Dawn for a little while and also scrub with a tooth brush. after that I will start to prep the body. I use Plastic-Kote spot and fill primer. its a lacquer based primer and I mist a few coats on first before applying a heavier coat. Sometime I will fill some of the pin holes in my resin before I primer and other times I shoot primer to see where I need to fill pin holes. Not sure if this has helped at all but I have never worked with a Speed City Resin body.