Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell '41/'43 Willys Pickup Gasser

• 5 years later...

If you haven't visited Sean Svendsen's 'site yet, here's the perfect reason to do so- he created the box art and decals for the last reissued of this kit from Model King: http://www.svensworldofwheels.com/43willyspickup.html

e43257b2-c5cb-487d-8fd3-7feb95f15cec.jpg

I'm not sure what the differences are between the '41s and '43s, but Revell seems to have labeled the kit as both, and the forthcoming reissue under the Monogram(!) label will again be a '41.

Wow! The original issue came with green body parts on yellow trees?

Where's that technology been the past 30-35 years?

Japan. Bandai make Gundam kits with multiple different colours & types of plastic on the one sprue. It's very impressive and i'm not quite sure how they do it.

Those revell gasser kits....including the Austin and Henry J.....have the worst example of a 427 Cammer out there!

Not built the undersized IMC/Union version in the '48 Ford Convertible then?

I just wish Revell would at least tool up some better rims for it!

The '80s Centerline two-piece looking wheels are pretty horrid, but even the originals, with the huge centercap aren't the best looking wheels either.

It looks like the front tires are the same as the updated front tires on the Revell 1/25 Model A Sedan kit, doesn't it?

I swear I saw the just released version with a turquoise-ish colored truck, too, but I can't seem to find that pic anymore.

Are my eyes failing me again, or does the Grease 2 version have a quick change, while the other versions appear to have the "early gasser" style Olds/Pontiac rear? :huh:

The original issue appears to have the Olds rearend, but the Moving Violation version has the quickchange rear. It looks like it was changed at some point, maybe having something to do with sharing a common chassis with the Austin and Henry J kits?

are the lace decals on the purple pick up from an old kit or are they custom made?

They'll be in the upcoming re-release due out at the end of this month. There's supposed to be decals for a panel fade style scheme as well.

edit: only pic I can find of the other scheme. It's a scan out of the paper catalog. It's tiny...

revell-41-willys.jpg

Edited by Brett Barrow

Japan. Bandai make Gundam kits with multiple different colours & types of plastic on the one sprue. It's very impressive and i'm not quite sure how they do it.

Little gates that close off certain areas of the sprue. Shoot the first color, open the gates for the second color, shoot it, open the gates for the third... til you're done, then they take the sprue out, close the gates and start over again on the next one. You see where the gates are on the sprue where the colors meet, they're little square sections. Bandai has a patent on it (for colored parts), but Trumpeter uses the same process to mold grey, black, and clear plastic on one sprue for their little 1/350 scale aircraft line.

Wow! The original issue came with green body parts on yellow trees?

Where's that technology been the past 30-35 years?

Looks to me like someone painted them, and none too well, either.

I believe the Moving Violation kit is from the '70s, and the Hot Rod release was the last one before the MK reissue.

I believe the Moving Violation kit is from the '70s, and the Hot Rod release was the last one before the MK reissue.

The Moving Violation was originally released in 1976, then reissued in 1997 as part of the Selected Subjects Program. You can see the "Revell-Monogram" branded instruction sheet in the earlier pics of the kit's contents, so I updated my earlier post with that info.

There's 2 axles in some issues of that kit. 1 of them is the regular solid axle with functional steering, the other is a chomed drop axle that does not have the functional steering feature. The Hot Rod variant of that kit is that way for sure.

Does anyone have or is anyone willing to take and post a pic of the second, chromed axle?

• 1 month later...

Bought the latest reissue a few weeks ago. Looks like a good kit. There are extra suspension and engine parts not mentioned in the instructions though.

DSC08876_zps1a319cdb.jpg

DSC08886_zpscc140ac7.jpg

DSC08885_zps4aea7fac.jpg

DSC08884_zps709dcbbb.jpg

DSC08882_zps4af9135a.jpg

DSC08883_zpsb84b1c82.jpg

DSC08880_zpsff677dd5.jpg

I am hoping to build it similar to a Willys pickup I saw at a Goodguys show a couple of years back.

DSC04447_zps2db6987f.jpg

I picked one up myself. Pretty nice kit other than the horrid engine. It looks nothing like a ford cammer. I am building the austin right now and it's pretty much the same kit. I had to heavily modify the motor to make it look presentable. When I build the willys I will swap engines.

Edited by zaina