Model Cars Magazine Forum

time?...what time? Man!--I need more time

modelfritz

hello! this little blurb is to invite philosophies on time. I for one pretty much work , eat, relax for a couple of hours, sleep, and start over. I can't say that I am totally happy about it, although it beats unemployment. I can't help thinking that there must be a lot of people on this forum with much more time than I have! I get some twangs of jealopusy thinking that I need to spend much more time on my hobbies. and Yet, I'm sure I'm not seeing the true picture. Others must have better control of their priorities and simply make the time. Or??? All in all, I think I fell in with a real fun group of people and look forward to shaping my future more toward Hobbies. Who needs tv. It's just ######-doze-off- to- sleep- kind- of- entertainment anyway. I think you guys have found the secret to happiness :lol:

Hi...Manfred ... perhaps you are not the only one that in any moment felt the same way. I had to make changes and adjustments in my life also just for the fun of the hobby. What made the diference was that I had programed a specific day and time for my hobby during the week , this made me be in stress , but now I do my hobby every day, any moment possible less time daily perhaps, but no stress. and at the end of the week, the total time is the same... We have to be careful with our hobby time. After all, its the only moment we prize our life, we deserve it. For me, first is my family , work , friends and ''HOBBY TIME'' I think your sincerity comment is great............Barbo

I will tell you..its not easy to get "Hobby Time" in todays world!! I usually go through streaks where I can sit down to my project. Most of the time its an hour here or an hour there even though I have been known to sit at the bench for most of the day on my day off when I have nothing that needs to get done. I try not to dwell in the fact that I do not have as much time as I used to and instead cherish the time that I do get to build my little plastic cars!!! :D I guess what it comes down to is you should really try to budget some hobby time for yourself even if its just a few hours every now and then. I dream of the day that I can devote a whole day to my models but I do not see it happening until I retire!!! Only 32 years to go!!! :D So, get your chin up and get to that project even if its just once in a while!!! I will bet it will turn that frown upsidedown!!! KT

• 1 month later...

I'm a truck driver and I keep a couple of projects with me. Some nights I get to sit and relax, which means that my trucks progress. Some of the loads I do on weekends are only going short distances, so if I can quit staring at everyone else's work on these pages long enough, I really get things accomplished. I was out of the hobby for a few years, but I'm back at it nowI'm rebuilding the 3 survivng trucks from my collection, and finishing one that I started, but found myself stumped on a few years ago. When I get things back in order, I can start doing a dio or two again. The bases for which I will do at home. i can justify carrying the trucks, but the bases would take up precious space in my sleeper.

Time is just something I have to take when it comes. Between driving, loading/unloading(and as a result, the strapping/chaining/tarping of the loads), as well as maintainence on my rig since I am the owner, I have to squeeze the model building in when I can. Lately, I've had more time, but I know I need to use it wisely. Also, when I go home, there's chores, errands, and friends/family that need my attention, so I actually get more done on the road. I can think and plan when I drive. I take pix and write down ideas for projects in a 3 ring binder I carry with me. If I don't have time to build, I at least go over the kit's instructions to make notes, plan things, or sometimes ideas happen when I do this. Often times, I get out and take pix for diorama ideas. I've been wanting to display my rigs in scenes since I built my first truck 16 yrs ago. So 4 me, it's just a matter of seizing oppurtunities in a business that can keep you busy one month, and slow the next. :roll: