Model Cars Magazine Forum

1958 Plymouth Christine

Lovefordgalaxie

My cousin Marcelo always comes here in my house, and keeps looking at my completed models. He had modeling a try when both of us were kids, but he never took it really seriously. A few months ago, he bought a AMT Plymouth Christine, and asked me to build it for him. Along with the kit, he gave me a list of the colors he wanted used.

I confess I've being procrastinating this build, because I don't exactly love Mopars.

Anyway, I started the car, and will build it the best I can.

The kit came molded in red, what is not a problem at all because I'm using automotive synthetic enamel paint, and never ever had any problems with colored plastic before.

The first thing I did, yesterday, was to prepare all body and related parts and to give them several coats of white primer (Lukscolor a Brazilian brand).

Today I prepared the bone white paint for the roof, and airbrushed it in several light coats with a final "wet" coat.

Now, I will give the white a couple of days to dry, and then will paint the blood red.

First coat of primer:

15575989700_f9130b7f7e_c.jpgChristine by Lovefordgalaxie, on Flickr

Shaved the "Belvedere" nameplate:

15575991520_fee4eaf044_c.jpgChristine by Lovefordgalaxie, on Flickr

The roof just painted:

15575404049_9a24416190_c.jpgChristine by Lovefordgalaxie, on Flickr

15576450770_b4bd9087b3_c.jpgChristine by Lovefordgalaxie, on Flickr

15576452460_4cfa064c39_c.jpgChristine by Lovefordgalaxie, on Flickr

This will be interesting to say the least. With enough exposure, Mopars are like a stray puppy - they can work their way into your heart and almost anyone will develop an appreciation of them sooner or later. I plan on scooping a couple of these Plymouth's and one will be black - and do those cars look good in black!!!

I've used synthetic enamel on builds in the past as well Tulio and it really does go on nicely and it flows out well. I am surprised that you haven't had issues with the red plastic with white paint over top without a sealer though. I also have used automotive urethane with even better success.. it hardens well and polishes out easily. You may want to try it but wear a mask - it's potent stuff.

This will be interesting to say the least. With enough exposure, Mopars are like a stray puppy - they can work their way into your heart and almost anyone will develop an appreciation of them sooner or later. I plan on scooping a couple of these Plymouth's and one will be black - and do those cars look good in black!!!

I've used synthetic enamel on builds in the past as well Tulio and it really does go on nicely and it flows out well. I am surprised that you haven't had issues with the red plastic with white paint over top without a sealer though. I also have used automotive urethane with even better success.. it hardens well and polishes out easily. You may want to try it but wear a mask - it's potent stuff.

Thanks for the confidence vote Gary!

Yep, I know what you are talking about on urethane. It shines more easily , but it's harder on the plastic as well, and would really need a sealer to stop the red from staining the white.

I just love working with synthetic enamel. Using the appropriate reducer, the paint will get very hard, and polish to a shine that is correct to the model year of the cars I build.

One thing is bugging me tough. My cousin says that the underside of the '58 is supposed to be gray primer with red overspray. Couldn't confirm this anywhere...

I know Ford used red/brown primer, and GM used almost the same thing, only more to the orange side, but Plymouth?

Edited by Lovefordgalaxie

One of my favorite movies. Also one of the only movies that did Stephen King's books justice.

Can't wait to see how this one turns out... You always do a good job Tulio.

Thanks Glenn!!

Also love the movie, and the book. I red the book about five times already...

Interesting stuff:

On the book, Christine is a four door Fury. There are no four door Furys for 1958.

On the book, Christine has a regular transmission select lever instead of the push button on the dash.

On the book, Christine has one four barrel carburetor, on the movie she has two.

One thing is bugging me tough. My cousin says that the underside of the '58 is supposed to be gray primer with red overspray. Couldn't confirm this anywhere...

I know Ford used red/brown primer, and GM used almost the same thing, only more to the orange side, but Plymouth?

I know during the 60s and 70s Plymouth would have their chassis primed and instead of spraying the chassis all one color, they just let the overspray go onto the chassis. Here's a example from my 1970 Road Runner

2m41z55.jpg

Ignore the not-painted fender and the hubcap falling out :lol:

And I never knew that about the book. I've only read the book once or twice. Never got those little details. I suggest Cujo, (if you haven't read it) It, and Under the Dome. All three are good books.

I know during the 60s and 70s Plymouth would have their chassis primed and instead of spraying the chassis all one color, they just let the overspray go onto the chassis. Here's a example from my 1970 Road Runner

2m41z55.jpg

And I never knew that about the book. I've only read the book once or twice. Never got those little details. I suggest Cujo, (if you haven't read it) It, and Under the Dome. All three are good books.

I was wondering the same thing for my '64 300 build. I was going to do red primer with over spray, but maybe I need to do a little more research. Although, a lot of these cars were immediately undercoated for rust protection anyway & would have been black. Steve

2m41z55.jpg

Cujo, and Under the Dome, both "done!!! From a Buick 8 was better than Under the Dome, if you ask me. Very cool book.

I was wondering the same thing for my '64 300 build. I was going to do red primer with over spray, but maybe I need to do a little more research. Although, a lot of these cars were immediately undercoated for rust protection anyway & would have been black. Steve

No need to hurry, they were probably rusted from the factory already :D

Small update folks.

My cousin chose the color for the floor pan, and gray primer it is.

I used Model Master acrylics to make the tone he wanted, and airbrushed the floor pan this evening:

15776768575_b63f8f90dc_c.jpgChristine by Lovefordgalaxie, on Flickr

Also, the paint on the roof is now rock solid, and I unmasked the body:

15157339693_0fe08bac12_c.jpgChristine by Lovefordgalaxie, on Flickr

15590940599_6c6f0a263d_c.jpgChristine by Lovefordgalaxie, on Flickr

Will do the polishing after painting the blood red.

By the way, Marcelo gave me the body paints already mixed (he has a perfect idea of the completed car on his head):

The white and the red, both in synthetic enamel form, automotive paint:

15753072016_8d49673477_c.jpgChristine by Lovefordgalaxie, on Flickr

I guess he got Christine's "Blood Red" like in the book, pretty well with this tone of red:

15774903591_a589314c65_c.jpgChristine by Lovefordgalaxie, on Flickr

Next step is to actually spray the red, and do the "overspray" on the floor pan. Pretend to do it tomorrow if everything goes smooth.

Wish me luck guys!!!

I promised my cousin this baby done by the 22th... and I'm NOT on vacation now, I'm full of work :wacko:

At least I'l enjoy the payment: A sealed Revell 1957 Ford Custom Tudor kit :lol::lol:

Túlio , welcome to the MoPar Club ! Ha ha ha ... just Putin you on ...

Seriously ; you are doing a splendid job with this "challenging " kit . I cannot wait to see how it comes out :) !

As to the primer colour that was utilised by Chrysler during the 'classic era' : it was subjective to the assembly plant . I've seen :

- Grey

- Black ( typically , Los Angeles plant used black from a local supplier )

- Greenish Zinc Oxide ( St. Louis , at least during its first year or so of operations )

And , you're correct ; these cars did rust in short order ! Another issue was the torsion bars ; their hardening wasn't up to snuff early on , so they'd snap like twigs !

Túlio , welcome to the MoPar Club ! Ha ha ha ... just Putin you on ...

Seriously ; you are doing a splendid job with this "challenging " kit . I cannot wait to see how it comes out :) !

As to the primer colour that was utilised by Chrysler during the 'classic era' : it was subjective to the assembly plant . I've seen :

- Grey

- Black ( typically , Los Angeles plant used black from a local supplier )

- Greenish Zinc Oxide ( St. Louis , at least during its first year or so of operations )

And , you're correct ; these cars did rust in short order ! Another issue was the torsion bars ; their hardening wasn't up to snuff early on , so they'd snap like twigs !

Thanks John!

Trying to make the car to look as nice as possible. She has a very beautiful a fluid design, and I hope to make a paint job to make it justice. After all, it's Christine we're talking about. I wanna live to my next birthday...

By the way, I built a Mopar before, a '69 Super Bee, more than 20 years ago. until now she was the only one...

6295952348_af3d0c889b_z.jpg1969 Dodge Super Bee by Lovefordgalaxie, on Flickr

That's a super Super Bee ! It looks great , especially for its age ; I have nothing in my collection that's more than 10-12 years old .

Here's a classic scene from Christine , with one of my favourite actors : Harry Dean Stanton .

"Where did you find the paint for this car ? It's 20 years old ; it's obsolete ..."

post-6643-0-39859300-1415850816_thumb.jp

That's a super Super Bee ! It looks great , especially for its age ; I have nothing in my collection that's more than 10-12 years old .

Here's a classic scene from Christine , with one of my favourite actors : Harry Dean Stanton .

"Where did you find the paint for this car ? It's 20 years old ; it's obsolete ..."

attachicon.gifChristine Keith Gordon Harry Dean Stanton.jpg

"I had luck with parts, I replaced the whole door on this side. See where the paint doesn't mach?"

Another little update:

It's RED!!!!! and white.

15758282296_638e9ed670_c.jpgChristine by Lovefordgalaxie, on Flickr

15597165540_912d20f3e4_c.jpgChristine by Lovefordgalaxie, on Flickr

And here is the floor pan:

15596145049_1bd8ca50a5_c.jpgChristine by Lovefordgalaxie, on Flickr

Now i'll wait till Saturday, leaving the body to dry well, and will polish everything good.

In the meantime i'll glue the engine halves, sand the glue joint, and clean the other parts.