Model Cars Magazine Forum

Easily customizable model

Kinda depends on your definition of "modify". Changing wheels is a modification, and it's pretty easy. Changing engines is a modification, and it's a little trickier. Chopping tops is relatively easy on early '30s cars with fairly straight roof pillars, and gets progressively harder the newer the car is. Sectioning, channeling and building custom fender flares all require considerable skill, no matter what kit you're working on.

The first ones that come to my mind are the '49-'50, '56 and '57 AMT Fords (and other vintage and re-issue kits of that nature...depending where your automotive interests lie). Some have 1/16" wire axles which make switching wheels from other similar kits easy, they come with optional wheels and lowering options too, and they also come with optional parts to do simple add-on body modifications, custom grilles and taillights, etc. They can be a lot of fun and produce great models without getting crazy.

Not sure if I want to deal with eBay.

I've never understood the ebay bashers. I've had over 1200 successful transactions with only about, maybe 5 problems, and ALL of those have been resolved to my complete satisfaction. Paying attention on ebay, only buying from sellers who have good reputations, and doing your homework so as to know what something can be bought for, as opposed to the stupid prices some sellers ask is important. Ebay is simply a tool for connecting buyers and sellers all over the world who would NEVER connect otherwise. It works very well, but, like using all tools, the success or failure of the outcome depends largely on the applied ability of the user.

Again, it comes down to doing your homework and research. I can often buy older, not-so-popular kits from ebay for much less, including shipping, than buying from the LHS (especially if you factor in the cost of fuel and time to get there). Some things can cost a lot more, some can be significantly cheaper.

It's not that. I don't wan to deal with shipping and all that extra payment.

If you can get a kit for $10 and pay $7 for shipping, how is that a bad thing? That is the whole reason to use ebay, the possibility of getting kit cheaply. I have gotten several kits for less than $10 before.

Edited by Jantrix

Used to play this game with my kids, "Yes But!" :P Kyle, Kyle, Kyle, ya gotta make up yer own mind, trucks,cars,customs ? You ask for help then it's "Yes But." :lol: Do your home work. All the answeres are right here on this very board. I know, "Yes But.". Well, sorry bub , just can't help you, B)

Again, it comes down to doing your homework and research. I can often buy older, not-so-popular kits from ebay for much less, including shipping, than buying from the LHS (especially if you factor in the cost of fuel and time to get there). Some things can cost a lot more, some can be significantly cheaper.

Also a good way to put Hobby Shops out of business. I like to support my LHS rather than the big companies...

just my 2 cents...

Also a good way to put Hobby Shops out of business. I like to support my LHS rather than the big companies...

just my 2 cents...

Valid point. But then again, some of us simply do not have an LHS to go to, so buying online/Ebay is the most viable option. Plus, as Bill pointed out, for getting older kits, Ebay is really the best way to go. I've seen in many cases, the seller on Ebay is in fact a hobby shop clearing out NOS kits to make way for new releases, or selling kits from local customers on consignment.

I will admit to preferring to buy from a shop myself rather than buying on Ebay (I like the hunt, plus being able to hold it in my hands before purchase), but sometimes it's the only choice. BTW, the closest hbby shop to me is a 45 mile drive, so I make it count when I go.

Kyle, you mention possibly wanting to do a Cameo. One of the nice things about the Cameo kit is that the Stepside version of the kit is essentially identical other than the bed and a few other parts. It does include a drop axle that will swap right into the Cameo, plus has headers, Edelbrock intake/rocker covers/air filter, and a set of custom wheels/tires.

just my 2 cents...

I usually buy CURRENT kits and almost ALL my supplies at the LHS. The prices are definitely better there than online, for the most part. By FAR, most sellers of OLDER or VINTAGE kits on ebay aren't "big companies" (currently ALL my "LHS" vendors ARE chain-store, "big companies"), but rather mom-and-pop ventures selling a few old kits.

I'm glad you have a real LHS to support. The one that was near me recently moved and dropped all of its car stuff to specialize in the large-scale train market. I'm afraid I won't switch hobbies to support that one.

Kyle, I think a Cameo would be a great choice. You don't see them very often, they're have good lines, and as the other Bill pointed out, the custom options from the stepside could make one sweet little truck. Maybe a general de-chroming and updating, with a super-slick but simple paint job?

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

You're kidding, right?

A bit, yes. :D If I'm not mistaken, it's one that Foose did. I also notice that the bumper is tucked in closer to the body, much easier to do with the bumper flipped. Looks like the reshaped the ends to make them flow with the fender openings, the stock bumpers, while having a reversed angle, have a more curved end.

I guess to my eye, the bumper mounted that way looks odd.