Model Cars Magazine Forum

2012 POST APOCALYPSE/ZOMBIE HUNTER COMMUNITY BUILD

Dr. Cranky

I previously posted this on another thread, and Doc suggested I move it here. I've taken a '95 kit of Dale Earnhardt's Goodwrench #3 that was just gathering dust on the shelf, and chopped it up, rusted it out, and this is the result so far. Scratch-built weapons, engine and interior detail, and a few odds and ends still to come, as well as more pics.

post-10044-0-05181000-1345265099_thumb.j

Tonight I spent some time getting the steering linkage worked out, along with a mechanism to hold and release the Jerry Can Cocktails. Also worked up a radical radiator. Of course none of this is mechanically 'right' but honestly I couldn't care less...just want it to look cool. Not a ton left as far as plastic building goes...another night, maybe two. I still feel I have to give this more 'Zombie Hunter' styling...maybe a cage around the pilot.

Once painted there will be several cables, wires etc...added all over. I've drilled holes everywhere for this...from the plugs to the gas line, battery, even cables from the 'handle bars' to the bomb latches...Hopefully all the wiring will add a nice level of detail to this.

Thanks for watching!

4111.jpg

4112.jpg

4113.jpg

4114.jpg

Here's the latest. My wife picked the color and rubbed off the salt. I had to reassure her that me making it rustier was not diminishing her hard work! :lol:

TRPjn.jpg

CkC7S.jpg

mPHGQ.jpg

This old beast sure is taking on some character! The combination of the tweaked hood and dented in headlights definitely give it an expression.

Thanks Derrick!

Been chatting about this build at SMA and found the 'real' fins too perfect. The vision to depict a backyard mechanic 'hack' build was shared and therefore I swapped out the fins for something more like a sign material sheet metal. (and the roll cage is from an old, rusted out, abandoned swing set)

4119.jpg

A bit more for tonight. What a fun build!

Couldn't live with the wonky hinges so I fixed em. This thing would have to be fly-worthy after all.

4120.jpg

Then with Aves Apoxy I patched the front tire. You can also see my attempt at weld here as well (union of roll cage)....but it's too large so I took it off. I'll try again when I'm not falling asleep (good excuse at least)

4121.jpg

Again with Aves I made a seat pocket. This will be fairly hidden, but I'll make a scale LIFE magazine or something (with a Zombie on the cover of course)

4122.jpg

Gonna call this done pretty darn soon and primer....just waiting on some PE buckles for belts to arrive.

Hi guys it's been quit awhile since I have posted here I have been having computer problems. I just stumbled across this community build and just happen to be working on a post apocalyptic diorama. It involves a 1/20 scale Lindberg AMC Gremlin that I have made into a 4WD battle car, a Bandi Votoms 1/20 scale Scopedog Mech and a couple of figures. I don't have any progress pictures yet but I'll get some as soon as I can.