Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC '71 Dodge Demon re release

The 1975-1976 Dart Sport has its origins based in the 1971 Demon 340 . That tooling is ancient , dating back to 1970 ! From the 1971 Duster 340 was born the mid-1971 Demon 340 ; followed by the 1972 Duster 340 ; the 1973 Duster 340 (first time for the Hemi to appear as an optional engine)

What I "highlighted" in RED font is NOT true information!!!! NONE of it! The 426 Hemi, A. WASN'T on the "Option" list AFTER 1971. It was discontinued in 1971! B. The A bodies UNLESS RACE CARS Never got a "Street Hemi"....... They just would not FIT in the car with what the car was required to have by law.... -And C., WHY would Chrysler even offer a "426 Hemi", in a "340" car???? The "340" destination, was to say that it was a sport or a Rallye car, with the "performance" engine of THAT year.... -You couldn't even get over the parts counter "MOPAR" replacement parts for the 426 Hemi after '72!!!! So having it as an option in '73 is false information on that engine and that car! (I'd more believe a 440 was an option BEFORE I would the Hemi, know why? The 440 lasted on till '78! -With available parts well into the early '80's....

OK as for the '71 Demon, I WISHED they would re-issue this kit! I never got one of the old ones, but would LOVE to get my hands on a couple now!!!!! -I've got one of the Resin conversions for the AMT Duster 340 kit..... Not sure on that one, BUT they at Round 2 would be SMART, to re-issue BOTH the '71 Dodge Demon, AND the '71 Plymouth Duster as a Mopar effort "A" body release! Sadly, there aren't enough "choices" for us Mopar guys, with Chrysler "A" body cars!

What I "highlighted" in RED font is NOT true information!!!! NONE of it! The 426 Hemi, A. WASN'T on the "Option" list AFTER 1971. It was discontinued in 1971! B. The A bodies UNLESS RACE CARS Never got a "Street Hemi"....... T

I don't have any of my original MPC Dusters or Dart Sports handy to see if they had a Hemi option, but I think the poster was saying was that the '73 was the first MPC A-body kit to offer the Hemi...not the 1:1...obviously, it wasn't an option in the 1:1.    Though I'm sure people built 1:1 A-body drag cars or street machines w/ Hemis...

Edited by Rob Hall

I don't have any of my original MPC Dusters or Dart Sports handy to see if they had a Hemi option, but I think the poster was saying was that the '73 was the first MPC A-body kit to offer the Hemi...not the 1:1...obviously, it wasn't an option in the 1:1.    Though I'm sure people built 1:1 A-body drag cars or street machines w/ Hemis...

I didn't even know MPC made a '73 Duster kit? I KNOW the MPC '75 Duster had a race car version with a Hemi in it tho.....

BUT, What I had "highlighted" did not mention ANYWHERE in the body of that message they were referring to a model or model company.... if you go back and look, it seemed as tho they were speaking 1:1 terms (and thats how I seen it when I read it).... and even so, in '73 you in real life could NOT buy a '73 ANYTHING with a 426 Hemi it! You could build a '73 and put a Hemi you bought previously when they were for sale into one with a LOT of work to fit/cram/stuff/shoehorn, whatever, as those cars didn't offer the actual needed space to just put a Hemi between its frame rails! LOL 

IF they did it drag racing even they couldn't get a "Hemi" from Chrysler! They had to get 'em aftermarket, from Keith Black or Donovan, I think back then.... NOT sure who all made the aftermarket Hemi's way back when....-I know those 2 however were around then, and maybe Mickey Thompson might have had something Hemi related but that I'm unsure of!

It's pretty obvious from the context of the post that the poster was talking about the MPC kits..., the first sentence mentions the MPC '75-76 Dart Sport kit, then the sentence after that talks about the tooling being ancient...MPC made Duster kits from '71-75.   It's a well-known fact that '71 was the last year of the 1:1 426 Hemi option (B-body and E-body), so I really doubt anyone one here would claim there was a 1:1 Hemi option in '73.  You misread a simple comment about a 40+ yr old MPC kit, that's all.

Edited by Rob Hall

Thank you , Robert Hall , for clarifying the content of my post . 

Naturally,  I am referring to the MPC. A-body annuals ; to wit :

- 1971 Duster 340 

- Midyear. 1971 Demon 340 Annual 

- 1972 Duster 340 

- 1973 Duster 340 ( first KIT in the series to receive a Pro Stock style 426 Hemi as an OPTION )

-1974 Duster 360 

-1975 Duster ; midyear 1975 Dart Sport ; final release of the Duster , period 

-1976 Dart Sport .

Mobeius?  Revell?  You guys listening ? 1970 Duster , followed by a 1971 Demon ; 225 six , 340 , and 426 / 440 engine options . 8.75" rear , and the Dana 60 from the 1968 Dart . 4 speed and TorqueFlite options ( moulded separately of course ) . Do it to it !

All I want is a 71 Dart body... not too different from the 68... new nose and tail and hood.  heck leave the interior old... Just give me the body... My 71 had at least 3 different sets of seats while I owned it, last coming from a 75 dart 4 dr.  I just need the body, please....    Mine wasn't "day 2" - it was "year 12"... LOL

All I want is a 71 Dart body... not too different from the 68... new nose and tail and hood.  heck leave the interior old... Just give me the body... My 71 had at least 3 different sets of seats while I owned it, last coming from a 75 dart 4 dr.  I just need the body, please....    Mine wasn't "day 2" - it was "year 12"... LOL

Someone did do a '71 Dart, IIRC maybe it was Bandit Resin. 

You are correct.  I used to talk to Kenny right often at bandit.  We were both sign/graphics guys.   I guess I should clarify - I would like a factory made kit.  I can't justify $40 for a body.   My budget doesn't allow for that.  I wouldn't pay for $40 for a kit either.  I'm about to drop out of hte hobby now because I juat don't get the value anymore.  I don;t know WHY kit prices are so high.  Can't be that much plastic.  Most of the work is done in China now.  Licensing?  IDK.  But that is a whole other subject.  I still wish I had a plastic kit of a 71 Dart for $20 - $25.  Thanks for reminding me abou thte Bandit Resins though.  I have been on his site looking at those a lot.  Just can't pull the trigger.

Randy  

The Hemi engine first appeared in the '72 pro stock Duster kit (California Flash) which was produced in between the '72 and '73 annual kits.  MPC would often include parts from those in-between kits (pro stockers, Street Funny Cars) in later annual kits.  The '71 and '72 Duster annuals, and the '71 Demon (and about half of the other '71 and '72 MPC kits) didn't include a lot of usable optional parts because they had those incredibly stupid "spoof" parts.  That garbage got broomed out after '72 ('71 for a couple of them), and MPC started putting decent optional parts back into the kits (with the exception of those "belt badges", another waste of plastic).  We don't need no stinking badges!  Those went away after only one year.  MPC stuck to optional parts for the most part from then on.

The '73 Duster Hemi is pretty much carried over from the California Flash kit except for the intake setup.  The '73 box art mentions vinyl hoses to connect the air cleaner snorkels to a couple of Olds W-30 style under-the-bumper scoops, but the vinyl hoses didn't make it into the kit. 

The Hemi engine first appeared in the '72 pro stock Duster kit (California Flash) which was produced in between the '72 and '73 annual kits.  MPC would often include parts from those in-between kits (pro stockers, Street Funny Cars) in later annual kits.  The '71 and '72 Duster annuals, and the '71 Demon (and about half of the other '71 and '72 MPC kits) didn't include a lot of usable optional parts because they had those incredibly stupid "spoof" parts.  That garbage got broomed out after '72 ('71 for a couple of them), and MPC started putting decent optional parts back into the kits (with the exception of those "belt badges", another waste of plastic).  We don't need no stinking badges!  Those went away after only one year.  MPC stuck to optional parts for the most part from then on.

The '73 Duster Hemi is pretty much carried over from the California Flash kit except for the intake setup.  The '73 box art mentions vinyl hoses to connect the air cleaner snorkels to a couple of Olds W-30 style under-the-bumper scoops, but the vinyl hoses didn't make it into the kit. 

......all true, and if I may add, the annual 74, 75, 76 Duster kit's had the pro stock type hemi set up too with the small block as well, and  both 75, 76 Dart  Sport kit's all the same engine part's as the Duster kit's, if memory serve's.................the Ace....:D

I got the recent reissue '75 (?) Dart Sport a year or two ago.  Just eyeballing it after I purchased it, but it seemed like the Hemi was quite underscale.

Most MPC late Hemi engines are that size.  To add to Ace's post above, there was no '76 Duster kit.  MPC's '75 annuals included a Duster (one of the first bunch of '75 kits released), then it was converted to the Dart Sport which was released towards the end of the '75 releases.  Even the '75 Duster is pretty tough to find now because they were run only once, and briefly at that.

Most MPC late Hemi engines are that size.  To add to Ace's post above, there was no '76 Duster kit.  MPC's '75 annuals included a Duster (one of the first bunch of '75 kits released), then it was converted to the Dart Sport which was released towards the end of the '75 releases.  Even the '75 Duster is pretty tough to find now because they were run only once, and briefly at that.

.......I should have known that, but for some strange reason thought otherwise. guess that's old age creeping in, or all the partying from the 70s still lingering...lol....:lol:......the Ace....:lol:

Without digging my builtup out to ck ,,,,. I think the Vanke 1972 Duster annual has both a small block and the hemi in it doesn't it ? Where as the Butch  Leal car is Pro stock / hemi only ?