Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pocher 1907 FIAT 1/8th

Pocherphile

Hello Tilio, yes I understand what you are saying about what they are going for now. I was very lucky in that I won mine by bidding on ebay and the sale ended late in the evening, which means nobody pushed the bids and I got my kit for under $300.00 US dollars. Which for a Pocher, thats a deal too me. Just lookd on eBay @ FIATS, and 2 caught my attention, 1 is asking $500.00 and the 2nd is asking $749.00 US. I just purchased a Pocher Rolls, mint/unstarted f/$665.00 US

The last time I purchased a Rolls was 8 years ago f/$500.00 and as with everything, the prices goes up. But too grab one for less than a $1000.00 US dollars is a very good deal. And sadly, I dare say, Pocher kits will keep going up until they will just be available to collectors. Thanks for looking in and I hope you enjoy the WIP of the FIAT.

Rick

Finished drilling for all the bronze replacement nut/bolt's, these were purchased many years ago from Model Motorcars.com. I then cleaned everything up and prepared to give the cylinder heads there cast look. I did this on my last build of a FIAT w/a Dremel and a small burr bitt, but a few years ago I discovered this method for a trouble free method to replicate this effect.

You take a small flat paint brush and trim it in about half of the bristle size, I like using Mr Hobby surfacer 500.....dip some paint out onto a blotter, let it thicken and using the flat brush, dip into the paint, then with the brush pointed straight @ the object you stab the brush in small random patterns until you cover the whole surface. You can make the object as rough as you wish, this works great on Armour models as well for the sand cast look. Allow to dry and apply again if you feel the need. Any high spots can be sanded down w/fine sand paper or your favorite way of doing so.

post-13366-0-42340900-1391896455_thumb.j

I have seen this model built many, many times, and no 2 paint the engine the same............this is not a bad thing, since there are no color period photos to go by. In keeping with the period and the tech of the day, I do not see a motor that is all blinged out, but rather more in keeping with the machinery and colors of the day. I will paint the cylinder heads a very dark almost iron gray black with some dry brushing to make the casting stand out. Many paint the botton 1/2 a steel color, I will paint a industrial gray with washes.

Metallic colors will be used, but to enhance the engine to replicate the material these items were made from.

Rick B)

Moving along, parts prep of componets that make up a very detailed as it comes in the kit engine. However they are many areas Pocher did not include to add to the motor and one is certainly welcome to add too as much as they see fit.......but I am striving to use what is the main theme of the kit for those who wish to build as a OOB build. Yes, I have added bolt detail and textured the cylinder heads, which is not too far out from the skills of a person looking to build one of these. I also included a shot of the instructions f/building the engine to show the many parts that go into the making of this motor from plastic and metal parts.

post-13366-0-62991700-1391994731_thumb.j

post-13366-0-55522100-1391994746_thumb.j

post-13366-0-29424900-1391994760_thumb.j

Heres the real deal................... :o

This was and had too be a monster engine, and straight exhaust pipes to boot, you can just imagine how this moster sounded.

Ea. cylinder is 4 liters.............. :huh:

I love the look on the face of the fella in the photo..........wait till they see what I have brought to the race!

post-13366-0-85605400-1391995318_thumb.j

A trip tomorrow for some supplies and I will post a photo of where I am @ on the engine. Was browsing eBay today and saw a fella in my neck of the woods has a FIAT Motor for sale.....down side, you have to make 3 purchase to get what is needed for the complete motor........ :angry:

Some times you get ripped to complete what you need!

But, of course one does not have to buy either do they................ <_<

Rick

very cool- I want to build something this scale.

f1ford48 I would love to see you build something in this scale too. The best place to find large scale models is eBay, and noticed your handle is composed of my fav car bits.......F1 racing is @ the top of the food chain f/me, and I live less than a hour from CMS, go figure. Ford, have always been a Ford man, my Dad is, my Grand Father was and my other kin folks all pull for Ford no matter the type race. Then the 48, another of those numbers that bring to mind some really cool autos that were produced. So with noticing that, may I suggest for you a Big Deuce 33 Ford. Many options and a detailers playground. Just a thought my friend.

Rick B)

PS: Made a Offer f/the extra FIAT motor :unsure:

good to meet you Rick .my sentiments exactly,except the F-1 is for the predecessor of the F-100. it also debuted in 1948. still love formula 1 though!!!

I did build a 1/8 ITC MERCER, but nothing like a pocher yet.just posted it tonight in bigboyz.

what a coincidence on your suggestion---im compiling parts to build a 1/8 deuce 5 window coupe-Stock! the wheels from the lindberg 3 in 1 T bucket are pretty good kelsey hayes copies but im sure i will be doing lots of scratch building!

with whats left of the T kit im thinking of a stock 1/8 model T runabout or pickup-I just love trouble!!!

let me think on the fiat engine-need to do more research for another idea for it- best Frank

good to meet you Rick .my sentiments exactly,except the F-1 is for the predecessor of the F-100. it also debuted in 1948. still love formula 1 though!!!

I did build a 1/8 ITC MERCER, but nothing like a pocher yet.just posted it tonight in bigboyz.

what a coincidence on your suggestion---im compiling parts to build a 1/8 deuce 5 window coupe-Stock! the wheels from the lindberg 3 in 1 T bucket are pretty good kelsey hayes copies but im sure i will be doing lots of scratch building!

with whats left of the T kit im thinking of a stock 1/8 model T runabout or pickup-I just love trouble!!!

let me think on the fiat engine-need to do more research for another idea for it- best Frank

Looking forward to your suggestion, really like the ITC Mercer you did, I am trying even now to pinch one off of eBay, but do not know just how high it will go, 6 days left for bids yet!

Rick

Looking forward to your suggestion, really like the ITC Mercer you did, I am trying even now to pinch one off of eBay, but do not know just how high it will go, 6 days left for bids yet!

Rick

Bear in mind that if the ITC kit is 16 inches long and the Mercer's original dimensions are 162", that's really 1/10 scale. The most accurate measurements might be found in wheelbase.

Is not up to the amount of the Ducey........but looks like 3 individuals are shooting for it. And still have 4 days left.

I would like to aquire, but you know Harry is tha Big Guy and we want him happy. I will admit, I have a limit I will go........good luck Harry $

I don't exactly have unlimited resources either... ^_^

I guess I've gotta thank Dr. Archive -Skip- for brainstorming this idea and giving Harry the impetus to put on another show.

Among the things I love about all these early cars is the sheer 'mechanical-ness' of them. They really look like industrial revolution machines. They suggest that you needed big bullets to drive them at speed with effectiveness.

They're all big spoked wheels, gears, levers, ratchets, chains and a bare minimum of controls and no comforts.

Always dusty (then-not now in museums) and used hard. A kid's dream about going fast.

These recent threads by you guys are a breath of fresh air about where we came from automotively. The Stutz, Locomobile, Mercer and Fiat are just wonderful examples and I'd love to have any of them on my bench. Keep 'em coming. Maybe a section for 'early machines' Harry?? Or too many sections already? :unsure:

Also in this vein but later are Campbell's Bluebird (not that hosed-down movie car), any of the early LSR monsters with aero engines, and the AutoUnion and Benz Autobahn record holders. Love to see large scale kits of those.

...that Fiat is getting tempting. :wub: