Model Cars Magazine Forum

In box pictures of new Tamiya 1:12 Enzo......

Keith,

Does it seem to you like good value for money ($600+ list, $300+ street px)? Or too early to tell?

It was a little under $300 .....from what I can tell so far, it seems to be a bit high even at that and I'm sure as time goes on, it will sell for less but it's a very nice kit and well engineered. I'm really curious to see what Scale Motorsports and others will do for this kit.

Keith-forgot to thank you for informing us. Pete will too it seems.

I am REALLY sitting on the fence with this and much less so for the effort that Tammy put forth. I just can't love the 1:1 quite enough to make this commitment-especially adding expected aftermarket items.

Now if it was the McLaren F1 or if Tammy did my beloved GT-40 MK II instead of Trumpys partial effort...

I'll keep following progress-maybe inspiration will catch me.

Parts count seems low for near 300 clams. Got to figure aftermarket will set you back at least another 80.00 or so if it gets made.

I'm also on the fence with this one. Not enamored with the 1:1 either but i thought with the maker and scale it would be a super detail BONANZA.

It can be, don't get me wrong. I was just hoping for higher parts count.

What is the parts count BTW? That looks like the inside and parts count to a Fujimi 1/25 scale Enthusiast kit

Bob

Edited by Dragline

Parts count is listed as 653 parts, but I agree, it seems almost like they upscaled the 1:24 kit (which is a jewel at 1:24).

I am disappointed with the wheels, hoping they would have opted for aluminum but alas, plastic they are. There are a lot of small metal parts in the accessories box and a lot of screws, some magnets, rubber ducting, ect.

I also agree, in order to do this right, it will take a yard of carbon fiber decals. This is where SMS can really help.

I have to finish a commission build of a C-130J Hurricane Hunter before I can jump into this one so Pete will probably beat me to actually cutting sprues :)

Parts count is listed as 653 parts, but I agree, it seems almost like they upscaled the 1:24 kit (which is a jewel at 1:24).

I am disappointed with the wheels, hoping they would have opted for aluminum but alas, plastic they are. There are a lot of small metal parts in the accessories box and a lot of screws, some magnets, rubber ducting, ect.

I also agree, in order to do this right, it will take a yard of carbon fiber decals. This is where SMS can really help.

I have to finish a commission build of a C-130J Hurricane Hunter before I can jump into this one so Pete will probably beat me to actually cutting sprues :)

Mine showed up about an hour ago. It does look very nice. Lots of room to to some scratch building. Man, take a look at the instruction manual! It is huge. Makes the 935 book look small. I think mine is either going to be Fly yellow or raw carbon fiber. Matthew - get the printing presses ready, I'm going to need a ton of it. Trying to decide if I will do the HiTech stuff or the clear. Hmmmm. Sorry, I won't be the first to start this puppy. I have three other projects that need to be done first. I am really looking forward to this. It will build up very nice. Take a good look at the door dampers. That is some interetesting engineering. ;)

Edited by Pete J.

Thanks for the unboxing photos. I'd love to add this one to my pile. Hopefully the yen will drop in value making it more affordable.

I'm wondering if anyone will bring out a FXX trans kit for it. The number of potential sales and price point of what it would cost might

negate the possibility. Who knows though. Fingers crossed.

In my opinion this kit is hugely overpriced.

Looks like a very nice kit... if it sold for a MSRP of $125 or so instead of 600 bucks!

Harry, it's all relative my friend. I am sure that you have your own cost is no object dreams. I have been waiting for this to come out as a builders kit for at least 10 years. This kit will give me years of building pleasure. I couldn't put a price on that.

Harry, it's all relative my friend. I am sure that you have your own cost is no object dreams. I have been waiting for this to come out as a builders kit for at least 10 years. This kit will give me years of building pleasure. I couldn't put a price on that.

I'm right with ya......I've been waiting for a long time myself. Just like my Z06, the car was a dream of many of us Corvette fans (427ci, dry sump oiling system and over 500hp from the factory).

BTW, after looking at the manual, this kit looks to be very well engineered with a lot of cast metal parts. The door mechanisms and suspension are especially well done. Also the fuel, oil, coolant lines along with engine wiring are well represented.

One thing I found odd so far is, they elected to mold the brake, signal and marker lights in clear and require you to paint the backsides with clear orange or red. On their 1:24 kit, they molded them in the correct colors. Seems they would have done the same on a kit this size and scope....but they didn't.

With 654 parts, this could be a lengthy build, but considering Tamiya's reputation of superb engineering and molding...this kit definitely raises the bar on injection-molded, 1:12 kits (just like their 1:32 P-51D raised the bar on scale aircraft models over a year ago).

Those who waiting for this kit to hit $100.00 shouldn't......I suspect even discounters will still ask in the $250 range...it's that good. jiggy2.gif

Edited by Ghostmech

i'm gona have to start saving up.....

hopefuly some one will come up with a fxx transkit, i would guse there would be demaned, just scared of the price, latly all transkits cost more then the base kit.

also could you possably scan the instructions for thouse of us who cant affored one ket, i'm sure the websites that try to have all the instructions for kits would love a scan too.

One thing I found odd so far is, they elected to mold the brake, signal and marker lights in clear and require you to paint the backsides with clear orange or red. On their 1:24 kit, they molded them in the correct colors. Seems they would have done the same on a kit this size and scope....but they didn't.

jiggy2.gif

Oddly, they have done that on some of their street bike kits. The Yamaha Roadstar comes to mind. It really is kind of strange. I guess you could do them JDM style :blink:. Still, kind of wierd. The fuel block needs to be replace with turned metal and I think the rear suspension shocks and accumulators to be re done also. A lot to this one. Oh, the fun :D

Yup, same here. And btw, gents, that 650-ish number apparently doesn't include all the fasteners. Did a quick sweep thru the instructions and ended up well past 800 counting all the screws. There are o b v i o u s l y waaay many more plastic parts here than in the 1/24 kit, and then there are diecast parts, stamped metal parts, fasteners, wire, and tubing to pile on besides. If you're a parts geek like me and this kit doesn't tickle your nape a little, try a new pair of bifocals.

And if I'm gonna drop fifteen hunnert on a Pocher or 3 bills on a Monogram eighth-scaler, there's no way to judge this kit by those standards as anything but a bargain at six bucks and a gold-plated STEAL at 360.

This kit takes 1/12 predecessors like Hasegawa's 300ZX or Efini/Mazda RX-7, OR Rosso's NS-X, and walks them. Hard. And those kits were all 'round 200 in late '80s - early '90s dollars, which works out to - why whaddya know - about $350 now.