Model Cars Magazine Forum

1960 Pontiac Bonneville Htop

mangodart

HI guys,

here's my new build : a '60 Pontiac Bonneville by Trumpeter. I started this kit long ago but was very deceive by the totally wrong roof. So I started to mix it with an Impala 59 one. Than stop my work for years.... Just to rework on it a few weeks ago. Over than the Chevy roof, everything is from the original kit, except the wheels from an AMT 65 Pontiac. Colors are from the '60 chip : stardust yellow and berkshire green poly.

It's the kind of kit you're happy to see finished, hope you'll like it ;)

DSC08265_zps18d6b427.jpg
DSC08266_zpsbd068d44.jpg
DSC08267_zpsee041e01.jpg
DSC08268_zps808a9e8e.jpg
DSC08269_zps70ca9938.jpg

Tres bien, mon ami!

The Chevy roof definitely looks better. You did a top job on this and it was worth all the effort. Glad you resurrected it after so many years.

Are the other kits in the photos also by Trumpeter.

Plus, the surface on which you displayed them looks tres authentique. Much like a gravel car park.

Thanks for showing us your fine work!

Thanks, no the 59 is an old AMT model with an Impala chassis and revell parts pack modified Pontiac engine, the 58 is a resin convertible which I converted as Htop coupe with an 58 Impala roof, chassis also come from the same kit, Pontiac engine from a 36 Ford modified to stock specifications ;)

Nice job on a tough kit! The roof swap makes a huge difference. I like that color combo, pretty unusual for 1960, but theoretically possible for one to have been ordered that way. Looks amazing in that high 3/4 rear view shot!

"It's the kind of kit you're glad to see finished..." very charitable description for Trumpeter's Bonneville's!

Let's see some more of the AMT '58 and '59!

Tres Bien!!!!!!!!

It's my understanding [after watching an episode of Drive [big Muscle] that the Pontiacs and the Chevrolets all used the same roofs at that time and the differences lay in the rest of the sheetmetal. This is a great example of getting it right with a much better piece than offered in the kit.

Gorgeous BTW, and great color combo.

Bob

Oh BTW, does anyone know what year Wide Track started at Pontiac?

Emmanuel, that is one gorgeous '60! The roof swap makes that looks worlds better and, is not that hard of a job to do if one takes their time.

Those Trumpeter kits can be made into nice show pieces if one does their homework and tweaks a few things here and there. I've got two of those and, one of my "someday" projects is to take one of them and transplant The Modelhaus's 1959-60 "flattop" resin roof sections on it and, make it a Vista four door hardtop. ;)

You did a great job on that 60 Bonneville. I knew that roof was a little funky and one reason I did not bother build one. With all the computer aided designing, I can't understand how Trumpeter could mess it up. The tall convertible windshield on the '63 Nova is another example. You would think the first test shot could show the problem.

All your cars, 58, 59 60 look great.

The tall convertible windshield on the '63 Nova is another example. You would think the first test shot could show the problem.

One reason you'll see the convertibles not go for much money on eBay (or not sell at all) and, the coupes go for sometimes BIG $$$$! I had a coupe that I sold on the 'Bay and it went for well over $100. ;)

I've also wondered how did they get the windshield and roof height on the coupe dead on accurate, but be so way off on the convertible?? :wacko:

Really nice build -up of the '60 Bonneville. I've heard all the comments about the roof, but that side by side of the them really clears it up for me. It's a shame that Trumpeter doesn't run the test shots or advanced views through the various forums and get feedback.

Wonder if the roof could be corrected in place. Seems a waste to trash a '59-'60 chevy :(