Model Cars Magazine Forum

Krylon Colormaster Primer

Hi,

A buddy of mine gave me a new can of Krylon Colormaster Primer in white.

Subcaption is with durable CoverMAX technology

Is this stuff cool to use with platics/resins?

I know a few of the seasoned vets have warned about non hobby specific fromage as it bites into plastic.

Pic attached for ref.

post-14706-0-89543300-1431301466_thumb.j

What you'll see is crazing, basically the surface will looked like it's severely cracked, and the low spots in the cracked areas will look shiny. Usually appears around edges and detail areas, but can show up in the middle of flat areas if it's too hot.

I'll have to take a look in my scrap parts stash, I might still have a few bodies I messed up using too hot of a primer on that crazed very badly. Both are circa 1989 AMT kits, both done with Rustoleum primer. They're the reason I stopped using Rustoleum on models.

i think the major problem with "non-hobby" paints is pigment size. gotta pick your battles, but i figure companies pay chemists gazillions of dollars to develop products for specific uses. i certainly don't know more than them.

if you spend 10, 100, 500, hours building something, would you chance a poor result on a $7.00 can of paint?

I used it on a tamiya Tyrell p34. It was my kyrlon experiment. Had no problems with it. Used kyrlon blue and white on it also. Only thing is I think it looks more like it's plastic than paint. If that makes since. I did use light coats to build up the primer.

Edited by ferrarijoe