Model Cars Magazine Forum

59 Ford Country Sedan Wagon

Porscheman

This is a Jimmy Flinstone body only using a Revell Skyliner and a donor kit for everything else. It took me 2 months to make this look right. The paint is Testors lacquers and of course the window are lightly tint blue. My wagon collection is getting there.

Al

Edited by Porscheman

Growing up in the 50's and 60's, the one option my dad and uncles insisted on tinted glass. Didn't have a radio, but our glass looked good.

Wasn't it limited to "tinted windshield" back then? And that meant a thin strip across the top. I don't remember cars having blue-tinted side and back glass.

My old 55 Chevy had tinted glass all around, but it was more green than blue. Love the wagon.

Craig, you are correct on the green tint. Tamiya doesn't make green tint. I know Testors enamel has it, but the Tamiya works better on thin coats and dries right away.

Al

Yes, the factory Solex tinted glass in my '58 Plymouth has a light green tint to it. I think the glass looks great on this wagon. Matter of fact, I love the entire build. Perfect colors too! Al, I've got a question. What did you use for the rest of the interior? I want to try one of these bodies, but didn't know what to do for the rest of the interior that I can get out of the Revell Skyliner kit.

Craig, you are correct on the green tint. Tamiya doesn't make green tint. I know Testors enamel has it, but the Tamiya works better on thin coats and dries right away.

Al

You don't need spray paint. You can tint clear plastic with RIT fabric dye. And you can probably get a more realistic color than the Tamiya blue.

Yes, the factory Solex tinted glass in my '58 Plymouth has a light green tint to it. I think the glass looks great on this wagon. Matter of fact, I love the entire build. Perfect colors too! Al, I've got a question. What did you use for the rest of the interior? I want to try one of these bodies, but didn't know what to do for the rest of the interior that I can get out of the Revell Skyliner kit.

Alan,

Use the interior of the Skyliner for everything, you'll have to cut off the top part of the dash from the front fender unit in the Revell kit ( hardest part of the whole build. Also you need a piece of sheet plastic for the floor of the luggage compartment.

I used the windshield and rear window glass from the kit and clear lexan for the sides. I tinted the sides and then cut them to fit. PM me if you need any help.

Al