Model Cars Magazine Forum

Real Or Model #124 Finished!

Real or model?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Real or model?

Rise and shine Harry!!! :P :P

I voted real on this one this AM.Before you posted if it was RoM.

Heck,I posted this probably hours before you even you had your coffee.

I went with real because the crack in the back looks scale to me.

I am surprised George53 didn't mention this as he is an expert in this!! :lol::P

It's something about that photo, I voted "real".

I have a good track record going here, let's see if I can keep it going.

Well... you had a good track record! <_<

Final vote: 25 REAL, 40 MODEL.

Once again, I managed to fool a lot of you, but most of you were on to me... it's a MODEL!

Next ROM coming MONDAY!

From the website:

"1/8 1924 Hispano Suiza "Tulipwood" - a fully scratchbuilt 24" long all metal replica. Handcrafted from over 6800 components in an edition of 25 units. Functional......Expensive, inquire."

An "all metal" replica of a wooden-bodied car? Well, that's what they say! <_<

Here's a real one:

HS-tulipwood.jpg

Welp, I voted REAL, caz to me,it seemed ANYONE anal enuff to put THAT many rivets in it WOULD FIXED the split in the wood at the rear of it! It looked like somethin that just woulda come naturally, from age or somethin. Well ya can't win 'em all, an theres always NEXT week! Good one Harry!!!biggrin.gifwink.gif

The rear metal is a lot smaller than the 1:1

tires are square and no mirrors on the spares!

And the tire sidewalls are quite different...but I honed in on the wheels first, the spokes look too big. Odd, because one would think in 1/8 scale they could do them more accurately with smaller spokes.

I'm not really a fan of these wooden body cars. I'd rather have a 1/8 scale wooden Chris Craft boat...though I do have a nice 1/24 scale Dumas wooden Chris Craft waiting for the day for me to get inspired ;)

• 6 years later...

The erroneously named tulip wood Hispano Suiza is actually planked in Honduras mahogany fastened with thousands of brass rivets. The photo that Harry P placed shows the real car as it looks today. It appears to be very over restored! Having seen many photographs of the car in the past the lovely patina of the original polished wood from over the years has gone. It looks as though it has been rubbed back to bare wood and covered with what looks like polyurethane varnish and the metalwork now appears to me to be far too shiny. The lily has been well and truly gilded!  I cannot understand why some restorers go so far over the top and unfortunately to my eyes subsequently destroy the essential character of what they are working on.

I had a bash at making a 1/12th scale scratch built model of this car as it appeared in the 1920's long before the wooden pontoon fenders were fitted in the 1950's by a Thames boat builder  in London. It originally had swept front and rear aluminium wings and also low profile windscreens fitted. The model was entered in the 2014 IPMS UK Scale Modelworld Show at Telford where it gained a Silver award. It was planked with pear wood veneer strips to simulate mahogany to scale and hundreds of 0.5mm brass rivets fitted, rubbed down carefully and sealed with button polish. The hood was set in the open position to show the engine detail and the interior was was fully trimmed in fine pale blue glove leather. The model was a bit of a challenge with all the repetitive drilling and rivet setting with epoxy adhesive. Tedious rather than difficult work but the end result was worth it.

I know this is an old thread, but I'll jump in anyway since it's back. Gerald Wingrove built an amazing 1/15 version of this car, covered in vol. 1 of his book, "The Complete Car Modeller." He used real pear wood to replicate the look of the original at that scale.

The erroneously named tulip wood Hispano Suiza is actually planked in Honduras mahogany fastened with thousands of brass rivets. The photo that Harry P placed shows the real car as it looks today. It appears to be very over restored! Having seen many photographs of the car in the past the lovely patina of the original polished wood from over the years has gone. It looks as though it has been rubbed back to bare wood and covered with what looks like polyurethane varnish and the metalwork now appears to me to be far too shiny. The lily has been well and truly gilded!  I cannot understand why some restorers go so far over the top and unfortunately to my eyes subsequently destroy the essential character of what they are working on.

I had a bash at making a 1/12th scale scratch built model of this car as it appeared in the 1920's long before the wooden pontoon fenders were fitted in the 1950's by a Thames boat builder  in London. It originally had swept front and rear aluminium wings and also low profile windscreens fitted. The model was entered in the 2014 IPMS UK Scale Modelworld Show at Telford where it gained a Silver award. It was planked with pear wood veneer strips to simulate mahogany to scale and hundreds of 0.5mm brass rivets fitted, rubbed down carefully and sealed with button polish. The hood was set in the open position to show the engine detail and the interior was was fully trimmed in fine pale blue glove leather. The model was a bit of a challenge with all the repetitive drilling and rivet setting with epoxy adhesive. Tedious rather than difficult work but the end result was worth it.

I'd love to see pictures!

• 3 weeks later...