Model Cars Magazine Forum

Real or Model #126 FINISHED!

Real or model?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Real or model?

Guest promodmerc

I was so sure it was a model. Then I saw the exact same car on the box art of the Hasegawa kit that was reviewed in SA Feb issue and was 100% sure it was a model.

Boy was I wrong. Burned buy a foreign job again.

That car sold for over 12 mil in 2009! $$$$$$

For those who missed it, here is the whole story. http://www.autoblog.com/2009/02/06/rare-ferrari-250-tr-expected-to-break-records-at-rms-maranello/ As I said, one of my favorite Ferraris. A truly great car. Speed had coverage of the auction last year at this time. The Ferrari events are really crazy to watch. Lots of money and lots of great cars.

Yup! As soon as I saw that pic I knew it was real! I saved every last pic off the Autoblog site when it first appeared to my hard drive, as that's one of the most beautiful Testarossa's I've seen ever! That also happens to be one of my favorite '50's Ferrari racers!

Red is quite common for these cars, but that black is an absolute knockout! ;)

Thanks for the extra photos, Spyder. That is a beautiful car, especially in black as MrObsessive noted. You guys on this forum build great models but I'm not sure why this just looked real to me. Thanks Harry, keep it up with this contest. ;)

I've seen this car up close & personal; don't let the studio shots make you think this car is "perfect"...it has some patina, it's got some rough edges...a ton of concours d'elegance cars are far more "perfect" than this car. This is finished to a level that seems right for the car...photographs quite well, but if you go over it w/a fine tooth comb, it's got "character" that no over-restored car has.

These particular pictures of the car, along with many others in RoM, seem like they've been digitally tweaked. I think that's what makes so many of them look like models...they're artificial somehow. There were photos of this car in one of the UK classic mags (Octane, T&CC, Classic& Sportscar) that showed the car as it really looked, and one of the others had an auction announcment photo that make the car look completely different. Flawless, but sterile.

For the record, the photos I use here are as I find them, with one caveat: If the background would give things away, I'll Photoshop the background. For example, if a model is photographed on a driveway, the scale of the asphalt compared to the model would obviously give away the fact that it was a model... so I'll change the background by blurring or somehow altering the texture of the driveway. But I don't mess with the car itself... if the photo shows a car on a generic "photo sweep" type background, like in this case, I'll use the photo as is. Was the photo I used this time retouched? Maybe... but not by me.