Model Cars Magazine Forum

Another pair of Ferraris -- Italeri 365 Daytona and Revell 599 GTO

Matt Bacon

Thanks, guys!
The cabin is well under way, in all its 1970s glory!
cockpit-test-fit-XL.jpg
This is just a test fit... much more to do.
body-bmf-started-XL.jpg
I've started BMFing... the new sheet I have is much harder to handle than the old one -- far more "springy" with a tendency to roll up as your remove it from the backing. A bit at a time, and doing it in several sessions over time is the recipe for keeping your sanity, I find...
bench-at-30-Dec-XL.jpg
With The Hobbit so see tomorrow afternoon, I doubt I'll quite get this one finished in 2012, but it's heading toward the finishing line now...
bestest,
M.

dash-2-XL.jpg
dash-1-XL.jpg
The dash is completely OOB. The dial decals are really good... Revell in particular could learn a lesson here about not leaving wide carrier film borders around their dials so that the don't in fact fit onto the bezels... these went in beautifully!
cabin-being-assembled-XL.jpg
cabin-being-assembled-2-XL.jpg
A couple of the cabin being assembled. It all fits very nicely.
cabin-done-lhs-rear-high-XL.jpg
cabin-done-top-XL.jpg
cabin-done-close-up-XL.jpg
Could it be more 1970s? The close-up is a bit unforgiving, especially the painting on the Daytona inserts in the seats, but it looks OK in real life, honest...
cabin-on-chassis-XL.jpg
...and finally. Just the brake master cylinder to add before I can fix the chassis together finally. Off camera, work on the BMF continues, as well...
bestest,
M.

Chassis and body finally brought together. This was not easy!
inside-and-out-XL.jpg
inside-and-out-3-XL.jpg
inside-and-out-2-XL.jpg
The reservoir on the brake master cylinder gets in between the front left wheel well liner on the chassis and the top part inside the bonnet area, the drivers side exhaust manifold fouls somewhere I couldn't see, and the fit front and back is dubious to say the best. Anyway, 'tis done now!
bestest,
M.

Matt, I don't know where you find the time to do all this great work you do?! Your builds are ALWAYS cleanly built, well detailed & executed very sharply! Great work mate.. Seriously!

Your subjects/builds always gain my interest because I have most of these kits ( waiting for me to pull my finger out!! ). My only hope to finish more than 2-3 a year is early retirement?! Besides Mopars, I only like the exotics/Supercars & take keen interest in your WIPs because of the detailing & observations you make while building them, therefore helping the rest of us slow-hands out. Thanks mate, really appreciate that too!

I have a couple of questions...

I have the 599GTO & the Fujimi Daytona ( 365 ) Spyder & I'm wondering whether the 365 coupe is worth shelling out for?? On another note, you don't happen to have the Fujimi 250 GTO ( road car ) do you? I'm looking at getting that too & wondering whether to get it or wait for the, rumored, ROG 250 GTO?? Any help would be grateful.

Cheers Cliff

Cliff, Fujimi has two different Ferrari 365 GTB4 Daytona kits. One is the regular Daytona coupe and the other is the Daytona Speciale coupe. Both are enthusiast kits and are very well detailed. I have both. I highly recommend the Fujimi 250 GTO kit.

I have attached my Fujimi 250 GTO that I have under construction now. I am building chassis 3505

post-8592-0-96301300-1357352668_thumb.jp

Edited by johnwitzke

Thanks, Cliff and John. This Daytona is actually the Italeri kit (which may once have been a Protar, like some of their other Ferraris. But it may not have been -- it just seems to have a lot in common in terms of design and engineering with a couple of Revell boxes that I have which I'm sure originated with Protar). I'd certainly buy the Fujimi 250 GTO with confidence. I'd also like one of their Daytonas, but be prepared for some work if they are "Enthusiast Model" kits -- my 288 GTO was one of the most fiendish builds I've ever done. It was worth it in the end, but it's SOOO scale-correct that buildability has taken a serious hit...

Anyway, last update for this one!

nearly-done-1-XL.jpg
Here she is on the bench last night. The BMF is punched out for the door locks.
nearly-done-3-XL.jpg
The bonnet is a PITA. I've had to refix the hinge three times now! If you look closely, you can also see that I've had to shave the pivot end of both the wipers back pretty hard to have a HOPE of the bonnet closing properly. It's not the engine, in this case, it's the wiper arms!
nearly-done-2-XL.jpg
But it kinda stands up...
And finally... to draw this "TwoFer" thread to a close, here are both of the "pair of Ferraris" of the title:
twofer-top-view-XL.jpg
...more in the Under Glass thread...
Thank you for your interest, folks -- it's been a pleasure sharing this build with you all!
bestest,
M.

Thanks for all the info' Matt! Didn't realize the Daytona was an italeri kit. Either way I'll probably be getting the Fujimi kit to match the Spyder kit I have. Beautiful builds mate. Your attention to detail speaks for itself. Well worth ALL the effort you put in :-)

Cheers Cliff