Model Cars Magazine Forum

TDR 68' Camaro Pro Mod

I just got my 68' Camaro Pro Mod and chassis from TDR. So far I've removed the molded in supports and mocked it up. I plan on going full detail with this one and I have a really wild paint job in mind! The only thing I'm not sure about yet is if it will be blown or have twin turbos. I'll try to updat as often as I can.

101953553_zps99441c15.jpg

101953554_zps6c2c6cea.jpg

101953551_zps85de75ce.jpg

101953561_zps102d71de.jpg

Thanks for looking! Comments/Suggestions welcome!

Billy

How sharp is that chassis? I mean does it require a lot of sanding or something like that? I have TDR Turbochargers and they are fantastic! I'm pretty sure these frames are the same quality so no problems there...?

That's not too expensive chassis, I might have to buy one of those...

Interesting project for sure. I can't say if I'd go with Twin Turbos or Supercharger. Both are really interesting engine combinations in 1:1 world. Whichever you choose, it'll be cool!

Thanks Stan!

Niko, the frame does have some texture but I think a coat of filer primer will take care of it. I'll make sure to post pictures of how I smooth it all out.

Oh and paint will loosely resemble Car Craft Magazine's Dodge Demon.

blogger-image--805672997_zps3200f765.jpg

Billy, Looking good!!!!! Did you do the paint on the Demon? Flat out BOSS 70s era paint!!!! Did many of those on 1:1 Back in the day! Great job!!!!! Give me a shout, Lets talk paint!!!!! Looking forward to the build!!!! Jimmy 'Rass"

Thanks guys!

James, I didn't paint the demon I just saw it in Car Craft and immediately knew I had to paint the camaro like it!

Len, I was just thinking the same thing! A Vette would be awesome.

Hi Greg, yes this is the 1/25 version. I'm not brave enough to tackle a large scale one yet lol

Bill, I think you're going to be happy when you see the engine I've picked!

Hi Ken, don't worry we won't tell your wife! Lol. It's kind of expensive at around $90 for the body/chassis but the quality is great!

Thanks for looking! I'll have an update later tonight.

Since I'm waiting on some parts I decided to start smoothing out the texture in the body. So far I've sprayed the whole thing with 4 coats of Nason SelectPrime Urethane and I've started sanding the front with 320 grit paper. The pictures make the texture lok worse than it really is.

101953564_zpsd60b645a.jpg

101953563_zps9f6e1562.jpg

101953566_zpscb1b549a.jpg

Thanks for looking! More to come soon hopefully.

Billy

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Ted, sorry for the late reply. I've been working on this a little at a time, I'll post some pics of the progress soon. The chassis is printed in the white strong and flexible material and the body is the polished version of the same material.

Billy:

I've seen the chassis alone for something like $20-25 at Teds Modeling. You've got a great start so far IMO. In your opinion, do you think this chassis is too tightly coupled to the TDR body or could another (plastic) body like a Revell fit? I'm only asking because am73grand turned me onto the trick of using a '55 Chevy top sportsman chassis from Revell for other bodies quite easily (or pretty close). As I looked at some of your pics where you fashioned the floor/tubs, darned if it didn't look a lot like the Revell (except for about a 100 other frame pieces!).

Just thinking about a $25 frame investment and waiting for a suitable donor body...

Thanks and good luck!

Thanks guys! Mitch, I think this chassis will fit a few different bodies with some work. the only real issue I see is that the TDR chassis is a full inch longer in front of the firewall than the Revell chassis so most bodies will need the front fenders stretched to make the wheelbase match. I'll take some pictures of the two next to each other to show the differences.