Model Cars Magazine Forum

TDR 68' Camaro Pro Mod

Thanks guys! Mitch, I think this chassis will fit a few different bodies with some work. the only real issue I see is that the TDR chassis is a full inch longer in front of the firewall than the Revell chassis so most bodies will need the front fenders stretched to make the wheelbase match. I'll take some pictures of the two next to each other to show the differences.

Thanks Billy! There are a few builds on here courtesy of Tyrone and Clay (I believe) that demonstrate the possibilities and step by step a build normal build process naming suppliers of parts like Scott @ Futurattractions and Dirt Modeler. I'm not saying it's a snap-kit for someone like me LOL, but when folks like you guys do these works of art, it gives us kit bashers a bar to aim for in the future. Thanks and I know I'll be following your progress!

Billy:

With all the new offerings from Futurattractions and the existing resin semi-hard slicks, any reason why you stick with the 2 piece Revell slicks? I have trouble getting a true rounded diameter after cutting them off the tire sprue and I dislike the two piece design. Just curious. I've had good and bad resin ones due to the two halves not lining up perfectly, but more often than not they are workable and quite large - just right for a pro mod.

Mitch

Billy:

On the question of using this frame for other bodies, it looks like a lot of that extra frame ahead of the firewall is due the A-arm support frames and that huge boxed area in front for fuel cell, electronics, etc.

I wonder if some of that might be removed or relocated/shortened. I did this as my first attempt at scratch framing today on my Hays "Pepto Pink" T-bird custom street kit. The kit's 351 c.i. dual blowers and radiators were located in front of the engine and had a weird frame piece in front of the A-arm location to hold them.

With help from Ron (am73grand), I put a Hemi in place of the stock engine and beefed up the stock roll cage with my own styrene rod, including bending several pieces over a candle.

I needed a place for the Futurattrations small fuel cell in front, kinda like that gold Camaro "Fastest Street Legal Car" and the stock frame where the old parts went wouldn't work. This what I ended up with after grinding off the original front frame:

If that link doesn't work, try this: http://public.fotki.com/Mitchp/ford-drag-racing/hays-promod-street-car.html#media

Thanks.

Thanks Glenn!

Hi Mitch, The only reason I'm using the Revell slicks is because I had them already and they fit the wheels I'm using perfectly, I'm sure there are better ones available but I'm trying to use up some of the spare parts I have laying around. I think the frame modification you described would work perfectly to shorten up the TDR chassis. Here's a picture of it next to a Revell 55' Chevy pro sportsman chassis. Oh and the wheelbase on the TDR chassis is 5mm longer than the Revell one.

101_3625_zpsd75aac40.jpg

I hope this helps

Billy

Hey Billy,

How was the TDR chassis to get primed and cleaned up? How much time did you spend getting it to the point where you were happy with it's surface? Any particular challenges with how it went? I've read where some have used CA glue to help smooth out the print lines. Others, I think, have just used a good primer-surfacer. Just curious what your feeling is after having gotten this far... I'll look forward hearing your thoughts.

Edited by futurattraction

Billy:

WOW! nice work so far on that tranny in the TDR! At first glance the difference looks huge, but depending on planning and how well the TDR material responds to cutting and gluing, it could be attempted considering the gain of all that TDR cage work and frame. I know Scott at Futurattraction has the parts necessary to assist in a Dr. Frankenstein surgery I might attempt :D For the price, I'm liking it and it just might be that project that eventually gets me into the "big boys" territory.

Thanks bro!

Scott, To smooth out the chassis I filed down the really rough spots and airbrushed 3 Coats of Nason SelectPrime. Its a urethane primer that mixes 4:1 with activator and I added 1 part lacquer thinner to get it through the airbrush. After some light sanding I think it'll be ready for paint.

shopping_zpsc23dc152.jpg

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Billy

Hi Mitch, I say go for it! You definitely won't be disappointed in one of these chassis, and I'm sure you could pull off any modifications necessary. Do you know what body you would want to use? If I have one I can check if its anywhere close to fitting the chassis so you know what to expect.

Hey Billy:

I have a 71-72 Duster from Revell and a 69 Nova, both of which I think would be pretty short wheel-based. I wonder if just shopping around for a 1/24 would make any difference wheel-base wise. Good news is there are so many great builds here using TDR products and styrene is relatively inexpensive it's a good challenge to see how far you can get. I don't have much of a junkyard yet as I've only been building about a year and a half, but I've had a lot of good mentors!

Thanks! BTW, did the doors come already hinged or have you done some basic prep work like that already yourself?

Thanks Ira!

Mitch, I test fit a nova body on this chassis and unfortunately it doesn't fit at all. The rear half of the chassis won't let the body sit down where its supposed to. So far the only other body I have that fits is Revell 4th gen Firebird. Oh and the doors on this come as separate pieces but they have to be hinged by the builder. (I used brass tube and rod for my hinges).

Thanks Billy. It might still be worth the expense to save up for it; Lord knows I have enough kits to bash for the next 1-2 years! That's a long time to think and maybe come up with alternative that still might make pro mod doable with this chassis.

Scott, if you pop back on, I read an internet article about our hobby and what missing kits might be contemplated and released. The Fairmont came up in conversation as one car seen at the local track often but never concentrated on as a 2-in-1 or a pro street build. What do you think about that ;)

One more thing Billy, unless I'm mistaken, your avatar is a rare option of the 6 cyl turbo Buick Grand National - done in a light metallic blue?! I had a friend who owned one and let it go. He's still kicking himself! :angry:

Mitch

Thanks guys! I just ordered a pair of turbos so I'll have some more progress to show soon.

One more thing Billy, unless I'm mistaken, your avatar is a rare option of the 6 cyl turbo Buick Grand National - done in a light metallic blue?! I had a friend who owned one and let it go. He's still kicking himself! :angry:

Mitch

Hi Mitch, The car in my avatar is my daily driver. It's an 85' Regal with GN trim and it has a Chevy 350 under the hood.

CAM00317_zps271d8503.jpg

Edited by BKcustoms

Billy - beautiful!

Not sure what the original designation was for my friend's car, but I think it was called GNX. I think it was Lee Shepard who ran the 6 cyl turbo in prostock and got Glidden so scared they banned it in the NHRA!

Scott: I would love to build a Fairmont after seeing some pics on the 'net. The stance is incredible and they look great with some big meats in back. I'll hunt around and find the article about models and future releases; if I find it I'll forward it to ya!