Model Cars Magazine Forum

--> NEW Police Car Kits ... your thoughts

The one thing about the diecast police market is that the customizers really DO buy the "kits" by the case-load.

Those guys don't want model kits. They want something they can quickly (dis)assemble, repaint, decal, and move onto the next order.

It would be nice if Revell made the very minor changes needed to morph the Impala SS into a (or BACK into a) 9C1 Caprice since they're on a police car kick this year with the SSP Mustang, reissue of the Expedition with police parts, the co-branding of the '57 Ford (when's the Chevy version - no brainer there), and even the reissue of the '37 Ford last month comes with period "Chicago Police" decals.

Good point, they do prefer diecast over plastic, and most of them, well at-least on the one forum I am on, a good number are members of some LEA.

But I still think there is a market in plastic world for some police car kits.

since they're on a police car kick this year with the SSP Mustang, reissue of the Expedition with police parts, the co-branding of the '57 Ford (when's the Chevy version - no brainer there), and even the reissue of the '37 Ford last month comes with period "Chicago Police" decals.

Plus the current Impala SnapTite kit makes five police kits from Revell alone, and y'all want more? :P Yeah, I know, the Exped and the '37 Ford Panel are pretty much straight reissues with decals and barely qualify, but the '57 Ford and LX notch are new tooling, and the police version of the LX seems like it was planned from the start, so you've got some stuff to be happy about. ;)

There was also a resin conversion set for Revell's 94-96 Impala SS to a Caprice cop car. I doubt if that place is still in business though. It came with a trunk lid, grill, hood ornament, and hub caps.

Models by Tony has been gone for at least 15 years now. Would have move if he passed the masters/molds onto someone else, but that's how the cottage industry cookie crumbles.

Edited by niteowl7710

There was also a resin conversion set for Revell's 94-96 Impala SS to a Caprice cop car. I doubt if that place is still in business though. It came with a trunk lid, grill, hood ornament, and hub caps.

A separate trunklid IMHO would be the way to go if ever Revell would retool the Impala SS into a 96 SS and Caprice 2'n 1 kit.

Also the interior tub should have separate seats both front and rear and center console, two grilles new footwear, light and pushbar, the removal of the Impala SS lettering on the rear quarters, and replace it with laser cut-out vinyl stickers in red, black and gray, we're probably talking $15-20,000 already, but for argument sake what else needs to be changed so that Revell can do both an SS and Caprice 9C1?

So we can give them something they can evaluate.....

Thanks

Luc

Edited by Luc Janssens

My biggest and only wish is the 2nd generation Ford Crown Victoria. Its the most used police car in the USA but there is no kit... :huh:

I like that car a lot, but the question is, how many years before that model will be mothballed and the profitability of such a kit goes down the toilet.

Cuz unlike an retool of the Revell Impala, this one will be an all new, because I only think the front doors will be the same then those of the earlier Lindberg release.

I'll take any of the above, especially if they're buildable as a civilian. Otherwise, it doesn't take too much generally to make it so.

How about some of the wagons, too? Chrysler and Ford especially sold a lot of station wagons to a lot of agencies over the years. Plus the small fleet of Matadors that went to LAPD in the '70s.

Charlie Larkin

No love for a Dodge Diplomat/Plymouth Caravelle/Chrysler Gran Fury?

88RMPfronttrim2028Custom29-vi.jpg

Oh yes who could forget this beast? :lol:

Modelling several hundred versions would be fun, actually driving this POS would not.

They were wonder cars, ............................you had to wonder what it would do next.

G

Good point, they do prefer diecast over plastic, and most of them, well at-least on the one forum I am on, a good number are members of some LEA.

But I still think there is a market in plastic world for some police car kits.

Quality snap kits seem like a good compromise, quick assembly for the current diecast crank em out modeler and easier to modify / detail, and less diecast stigma for the plastic modeler. The Lindberg Crown Vic and Revell Impala seem to have done pretty well using that method.

I'd really like to see an 80s Chevy Caprice, late 70s - 90 or so Ford LTD / Crown Vic and Dodge Diplomat.

heh yea I member those.. in my area they was exclusive used as "black and whites" witch were the every day squad cars.. there is a diecast ver ( not very detailed being sold on evil bay.)

!By,q4iwBGk~$(KGrHqV,!iUEw5V!9hWYBMRnYcT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400365727216?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I have been thinking of getting a couple of these to paint up as squad cars..

hope this helps a few looking for this car.

I have to aquire a few of these as well.

Funny, take that pic you posted, add some antennae, and it would double for a car I drove in '84.

G

Well, I guess I'll chime in on this one... First off, thank you to Luc for bringing back that detailed suggestion on the 69 Polara that we collaborated on many moons ago. The police car model niche has never been better, actually. There are so many resin coversions out there in the form of transkits and full kits that I'll be busy till you know when. Odd ball stuff like a 71 Ford, 75 Chevy, late 50s/early 60s Mopar sedans and wagons...the list goes on. Don't be afraid of the many 2 door sedans that are offered...they were used mostly as state police vehicles through the 60s and some into the 70s. And plastic kits...just in this past years we've had several kits that can be built as cop cars pretty much right out of the box, just add some detail parts and decals. You have to use your imagination, and do some research. There are plenty of subjects already here. But in the big picture, the group of cars missing are the 70s Dodge Polara/Plymouth Fury cop cars. (The 69 Polara can be included in this group) Tooling up one of those big Dodges or Plymouths would be a great addition to the hobby. For a model company to make the project work, however, it would have to have a wide ranging appeal. Translation...as much as I hate to say it, the answer is probably the 1974 Dodge Monaco. Yes, its been done ad nasuem in die-cast form in every scale except 1/25. But its probably our only hope of getting one of these older cop cars done in plastic and in our primary scale. Would it be my first choice, no. But would I welcome it, heck yeah. The possible tie-ins and alternate issues make it a good choice...Blues Brothers, CHiPs, and Dukes of Hazzard could make it a safe investment. So being realistic, that's my vote.

10-4, Tom.

And, G. Same blue, one antenna, dark blue vinyl top, Wht sidewall tires, and full wheel covers, and it was my 1980 ride (in detectives). We were into the non-cop-car look for out detective rides. Patrol had the same ride, gold-and-white in the CHP scheme, light bars and spotlights plus the antennas. And, oh, yeah, gold stars on the white doors!

I like the idea of Caprice-esque snap kits for the police cars. Those are detailed enough to satisfy the glue-heads (not to be confused with our our beloved Gluhead here), and will still be easy enough to build for kids, who are naturally drawn to police cars as a subject.

That'll also keep the custom-painters who use die-casts happy. I would suggest supplying an optional oil pan slug for those wanting speed and/or simplicity, and the ability to securely attach the hood if so desired.

Charlie Larkin

I have no problem with the wonderful world of diecast. Sure I'd like things to be plastic, but I also take what I can get.

Craziness talking here, but it seems with some planning, you could release at least 2, and maybe 4 kits off the chassis platform that the Taurus & Explorer share. A Police Interceptor & SHO, and a Police Interceptor Utility & Explorer XLT. The Explorer would require a separate body tool, interior pan, wheels and the Civi version would require some interior bits (the Interceptors share most parts in the interior), but all of the chassis, engine and drivetrain up to and including the AWD system is identical.

I suppose in reality there's not really a market for an Explorer kit, I have no idea how well (if at all) the 90's AMT/Ertl kits did, but I think you could make a reasonable case for the SHO.

I have no problem with the wonderful world of diecast. Sure I'd like things to be plastic, but I also take what I can get.

Craziness talking here, but it seems with some planning, you could release at least 2, and maybe 4 kits off the chassis platform that the Taurus & Explorer share. A Police Interceptor & SHO, and a Police Interceptor Utility & Explorer XLT. The Explorer would require a separate body tool, interior pan, wheels and the Civi version would require some interior bits (the Interceptors share most parts in the interior), but all of the chassis, engine and drivetrain up to and including the AWD system is identical.

I suppose in reality there's not really a market for an Explorer kit, I have no idea how well (if at all) the 90's AMT/Ertl kits did, but I think you could make a reasonable case for the SHO.

I like this idea.

While the actual body-shell itself is the single most expensive part of the tool, if you can re-use say, 85-90% of the tooling for two completely different vehicles, that seems like something that makes an awful lot of sense to me.

I don't think the Explorer sold in huge numbers, although the Blazers and Jimmys seemed to do okay from what I remember. Perhaps times have changed and with the shortage of modern-subject domestics, it might do the trick.

Only one way to find out...

Charlie Larkin

I have to agree, I would be all for a few more simple snappers, not as simple as the early 2000s Revell Impala kit, that was to simple.

I could live with that and be happy

The 1996 Tahoe too, a better detailed suspension over the metal rod axles would have been nice.

I'd like full detail kits, but I'll take a simplified kit over no kit and I think the average police car modeler spends less time under the hood than more performance oriented builders. Snap kits don't have to be the simple curbsides that most think of. Revell's snap KW and Pete semi truck kits have a nice level of detail while keeping the price down ($20 for a semi kit is a steal).

It is just a matter of the model companies recognizing a place for adult oriented snap kits (and keep your mind out of the gutter :P ).

The 1996 Tahoe too, a better detailed suspension over the metal rod axles would have been nice.

I'd like full detail kits, but I'll take a simplified kit over no kit and I think the average police car modeler spends less time under the hood than more performance oriented builders. Snap kits don't have to be the simple curbsides that most think of. Revell's snap KW and Pete semi truck kits have a nice level of detail while keeping the price down ($20 for a semi kit is a steal).

It is just a matter of the model companies recognizing a place for adult oriented snap kits (and keep your mind out of the gutter :P ).

Good points,

These are some excellent ideas , my brothers !

Now , how 'bout a really obscure police car :

1976 Valiant / Dart "A38" with the 220 hp E58 360 and best of all no catalytic converters (the 360-powered models were sans the dreaded cat cons !) !

Now , I realise that there's no way that any of the fledgling kit companies would ever tool up an oddity such as a 4 door Dart or Valiant ; but , how about one of the resin casters ? :)

These are some excellent ideas , my brothers !

Now , how 'bout a really obscure police car :

1976 Valiant / Dart "A38" with the 220 hp E58 360 and best of all no catalytic converters (the 360-powered models were sans the dreaded cat cons !) !

Now , I realise that there's no way that any of the fledgling kit companies would ever tool up an oddity such as a 4 door Dart or Valiant ; but , how about one of the resin casters ? :)

You want obscure police cars?

How about 1980-1981 Plymouth Volare 4dr sedans!

Or, 1976 Buick Century 4dr sedans!

:)