Model Cars Magazine Forum

warming rattle cans

sno_man80

I was looking through and came across the tip to warm rattle cans under hot tap water, how does that work and what exactly is the way to go about it? And also another tip was to spray clear coat on two tone for better color seperation, is that the best way to go?? Thanks for any help and other tips.

Yu put tha hot tap water in yur wifey's best saucepan, make sure it's a steel saucepan, about half-way up tha side of tha paint can, wait about 5 mins or until can is warm to yur touch, shake it up and start spraying. :wink: If can is not full, use less water or can will tip over and float like a boat. :lol:

Am I wrong or is tha clearcoat just used to seal tha tape-edge mask :?: To provide a little extra against paint seepage under tha mask :idea: :?:

Zeb

I use a dehydrator to warm my cans if needed. The hot tap water thing works too.

As far as two tones go, I usually spray my color, clear, tape off and spray my second coat. Then peel tape and clean the body, then start clearing again. Their will be some wet-sanding in their too, but that is the gist of it.

Chris

I just run a fine stream of hot tap water over the can as I shake it. The can heats up, then I shake and the heat transfers to the paint. When the can no longer cools as you shake, it is ready. This takes no longer to do than mixing the paint as you shake it and you don't have to clean the paint off the ceiling from the can you forgot on the stovetop. 8)

I was looking through and came across the tip to warm rattle cans under hot tap water, how does that work and what exactly is the way to go about it? And also another tip was to spray clear coat on two tone for better color seperation, is that the best way to go?? Thanks for any help and other tips.

There area couple methods to heat the paint.

1)One is the saucepan, but do not heat it on a stove, use hot tapwater. Heating it using the stove will overheat and could cause an explosion. It happened once to a club member. Very messy, and dangerous

2) the mentioned dehdrator, it's a nice even temp.

3) I usually use an old coffee mug(unless it's a big can). i put hot tap water in it and let is sit for about 5 minutes. The size of the mug keeps it from tipping over, unlike the saucepan. Also, if you are doing a lot of spraying buy a cheap candle or coffee mug warmer. it's like a tiny hot plate, and keeps the water warm for long spray sessions. i bought mine at a flea market, but they can be had cheap at walmart, office supply and candle stores

Using clear on multi color paintjobs is to prevent bleed thru under your masking medium. Before you spray your color coat spray a light coat of clear along the masking edge. this seals the enge and prevents the colored paint from getting under to the other color(It's easier to polish of clear overspray than color) Then proceed with you color coat.

Hope these tips help

I microwave a cup of water to heat my cans up. I use a large plastic cup thats just a little larger than the paint can (keeps it from tipping over) I've had cans so warm that I've had to wear garden gloves to hold it, but the paint goes on so smooth that its worth a little discomfort. I've noticed less than acceptable results when spraying heated paint in a cold environment. Seems the paint flash cures too quick when its cold outside.

About the clear... After you tape off graphics, shoot some clear (airbrushing is preferable) around the tape edge to keep your 2nd color coat from bleeding under. The clear may bleed under, but you don't see it.