Model Cars Magazine Forum

56' T-Bird

cobramike

Is this the AMT kit? I built the American Graffiti version and love the car. Very nice clean build. Looks nice in black.

Dale

Thanks, it is a Monogram 1988 kit. It kind of was a PIA to build. The wheels didn't fit, so I used some from a 97' Cobra kit, the tires were hard as bullets, same 97' kit tires. The rear tire shell was not round, the hubcap wouldn't fit, had to fix that! The tail pipes were worthless and fugly, so there isn't any exhaust on it yet. I am working on making the exhaust look like "Lake Pipes"!

The hinge on the hood never did work right, so had to do allot of modding to get that to work. ARRRGGGHHH, and the paint I did looked like S--T, so repainted it 3 times before going to black on black. There are no decals at all so the name plates and other body features are all non existent.

I hope that your AMT was allot better build than this was.

Thanks, it is a Monogram 1988 kit. It kind of was a PIA to build. The wheels didn't fit, so I used some from a 97' Cobra kit, the tires were hard as bullets, same 97' kit tires. The rear tire shell was not round, the hubcap wouldn't fit, had to fix that! The tail pipes were worthless and fugly, so there isn't any exhaust on it yet. I am working on making the exhaust look like "Lake Pipes"!

The hinge on the hood never did work right, so had to do allot of modding to get that to work. ARRRGGGHHH, and the paint I did looked like S--T, so repainted it 3 times before going to black on black. There are no decals at all so the name plates and other body features are all non existent.

I hope that your AMT was allot better build than this was.

If it's 1:24 molded in red then you made a silk purse out of a sow's ear. I gave up on that kit and trashed it. The AMT is decent. I built one as a gasser and the other is still in the box. It's a rare "bird"...

Dale

Edited by ScaleDale

If it's 1:24 molded in red then you made a silk purse out of a sow's ear. I gave up on that kit and trashed it. The AMT is decent. I built one as a gasser and the other is still in the box. It's a rare "bird"...

Dale

LOL, thanks Dale, hat is one of the best comments I could ever hope for. Like you, with the molding in Red it was straight up ugly. I tried to go all white...didn't seem right, then went to forest green...that was even worse. Then I saw a 56 Bird on line (real one) done up in beautiful Black, I knew that was what I wanted all along. I think the chrome bits make it look like being in a tuxedo on a Sat. night. Just enough to not spoil it but to class it up like old Birds should be!