Model Cars Magazine Forum

Just a thought about the U.S.

Do they still make Tang? I haven't looked for it in years!

They still make Tang.

And BTW, it wasn't invented by NASA. It was invented in the late '50s and had nothing to do with NASA or the space program at all. But Tang was on the "menu" of one of the early manned space flights and people sort of got it into their heads that Tang was invented by NASA for the space program.

And from the Fun Facts File... the guy who invented Tang also invented Cool Whip.

Coincidence? I think not... :P:lol:

They still make Tang.

And BTW, it wasn't invented by NASA. It was invented in the late '50s and had nothing to do with NASA or the space program at all. But Tang was on the "menu" of one of the early manned space flights and people sort of got it into their heads that Tang was invented by NASA for the space program.

And from the Fun Facts File... the guy who invented Tang also invented Cool Whip.

Coincidence? I think not... :P:lol:

People got it in their heads because the TV ads played it up, all about the marketing even back then.

I've since found out that New Zealand (pop. 4 million) was represented by 184 athletes. Average per country was 42 - puts a new slant on the per capita score.

2 million of those are living overseas - 1 million in Queensland, 999,999 in the UK and 1 in Switzerland. :mellow:

And anyway, you know when you do good we claim you as ours...

When is model car building going to assume it's rightfull place both as a 'lympic (and Paralympic) event and in the Space Program?

When is model car building going to assume it's rightfull place both as a 'lympic (and Paralympic) event and in the Space Program?

It first has to test well as an X-Games exhibition, then get full sponsorship from a major power drink and be documented in a video with lots of shaky cam before you can even think about pitting international political foes against each other in a modeling cage match.

Don't be so close-minded. The space program is responsible for all sorts of scientific and medical advances that filter their way into everyday life. The Mars probe will probably result in more scientific advances that wind up helping society in many ways. Yeah, they're not going to find little green men, but there are definite benefits to space exploration besides finding aliens!

For example... I found this online:

Under the Space Act of 1958, NASA has had a mandate to share all the information it has gained with the public. Here are a few of the practical applications that have resulted from technologies and information learned by space scientists:

• CAT scans
  • MRIs
  • Kidney dialysis machines
  • Heart defibrillator technology
  • Remote robotic surgery
  • Artificial heart pump technology
  • Physical therapy machines
  • Positron emission tomography
  • Microwave receivers used in scans for breast cancer
  • Cardiac angiography
  • Monitoring neutron activity in the brain
  • Cleaning techniques for hospital operating rooms
  • Portable x-ray technology for neonatal offices and 3rd world countries
  • Freeze-dried food
  • Water purification filters
  • ATM technology
  • Pay at the Pump satellite technology
  • Athletic shoe manufacturing technique
  • Insulation barriers for autos
  • Image-processing software for crash-testing automobiles
  • Holographic testing of communications antennas
  • Low-noise receivers
  • Cordless tools
  • A computer language used by businesses such as car repair shops, Kodak, hand-held computers, express mail
  • Aerial reconnaissance and Earth resources mapping
  • Airport baggage scanners
  • Distinction between natural space objects and satellites/warheads/rockets for defense
  • Satellite monitors for nuclear detonations
  • Hazardous gas sensors
  • Precision navigation
  • Clock synchronization
  • Ballistic missile guidance
  • Secure communications
  • Study of ozone depletion
  • Climate change studies
  • Monitoring of Earth-based storms such as hurricanes
  • Solar collectors
  • Fusion reactors
  • Space-age fabrics for divers, swimmers, hazardous material workers, and others
  • Teflon-coated fiberglass for roofing material
  • Lightweight breathing system used by firefighters
  • Atomic oxygen facility for removing unwanted material from 19th century paintings
  • FDA-adopted food safety program that has reduced salmonella cases by a factor of 2
  • Multispectral imaging methods used to read ancient Roman manuscripts buried by Mt. Vesuvius

Most people do not give NASA or space research high priority when they consider what the government needs to fund. However, as seen here, NASA has provided much more than just information about the universe at large, but practical applications that have saved lives, improved the quality of life, and provided high-paying jobs in the private sector. The spinoffs listed here are just a part of what NASA and others have accomplished by sharing information and technology.

Yeah Harry, those are all ok but you forgot the most important thing..............Tang!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What we all do if we didn't have Tang???????

Guys, Sam (whatever his last name is) already beat us to Mars. Here's a pic of his first store on Mars.

mars.jpg

Now I can't take credit for this pic but I can still show it. I think it came from a reputable source. :lol: Dan

That's not Mars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's the WalMart that just opened in Northwest Mexico!!!!!!!!

CadillacPat

I should probably talk to the guys north of the border at the Mars Cheese Castle about setting up a franchise. You know, getting in on the ground floor and all that. Seems like it would be a natural up there.

Sorry... midwestern reference there, you guys outside of the area probably have no idea what Mars Cheese Castle is... :P

I should probably talk to the guys north of the border at the Mars Cheese Castle about setting up a franchise.

Didn't they build a huge new building last year? I recall exiting I-94 at that exit on my way to a friend's house in Kenosha prior to the Packers-Bears NFC Championship game, and seeing the new building under construction.

Maybe they'll sell these there, too?:

4508498383_5c38302614.jpg