Model Cars Magazine Forum

A request for aftermarket support!

As a good friend of Bob Kournow, I cannot speak for him, but I can say that his product is the gold standrd for replica stock builders who use photoetch on their builds. The Model Car Garage photoetch sets have allowed me to build versions of a kit, which has not been kitted. When Revell did the last '70 Cuda, the less than perfect AAR, I fixed the rear fenders, flattening the tops. When I did the modification, I could not use the decals to do an AAR, so I got a wildhair to do a Gran Coupe. When MCG was developing the '71 Barracuda set, I suggested that he add "Barracuda" scripts, and Gran Coupe emblems.

2008_06211968novass0001.jpg

2008_06211968novass0008.jpg

Believe it or not, the MCG 1971 Cuda Photoetch set will give you most everything needed for the upcoming Revell '70 Hemi Cuda.

mcg2213.gif

I used pieces of it on my MPC '70 Cuda Glue-bomb restoration.

2007_0522june320070144.jpg

The scale difference is very slight.

If you can get past the grille, this set will give you what you need to do one of these with the upcoming Revell '70 Hemi Cuda kit.

Plymouth-Hemi-Cuda-1970-Photo-08-800x600

• 8 months later...

I noticed the Revell '50 Olds 88 kit is missing the "OLDSMOBILE" lettering on the hood and trunk, and the "88" rocket emblem on the trunk. None of these are molded into the body. It's disappointing to just get decals. Cruver's '49 Olds sedan has the "OLDSMOBILE" lettering front and rear, so I'm guessing those could be made easily?

The Revell '66 Impala SS is missing the molded-in "IMPALA SS" trunk emblem.

The AMT '69 Hurst Olds is missing the molded-in "H/O" emblems on the front fenders and trunk.

Does anyone make any of these emblems?

Thank you.

I noticed the Revell '50 Olds 88 kit is missing the "OLDSMOBILE" lettering on the hood and trunk, and the "88" rocket emblem on the trunk. None of these are molded into the body. It's disappointing to just get decals. Cruver's '49 Olds sedan has the "OLDSMOBILE" lettering front and rear, so I'm guessing those could be made easily?

The AMT '69 Hurst Olds is missing the molded-in "H/O" emblems on the front fenders and trunk.

Thank you.

Check Model Car Garage facebook page. Bob has new sets for all of these coming soon.

Thank you.

Jim,

With the scripts you mention, I'd be pretty sure those were/are a cost issue. Bear in mind, that with raised detail such as lettering, scripts and the like, it's almost imperitave that they be molded "straight on" by a die or die section that moves BACK away from the particular surface. In the case of cars such as the '50 Oldsmobile, that likely would have meant an extra, separate die section for the front surfaces of the hood, and almost certainly for the rearmost portion of the trunk lid. That adds tooling cost, in addtion to creating a couple more tool alignment issues that have to be dealt with first at the production level, and second (and perhaps most aggravating) by the modeler himself (filing sanding, etc. to get rid of any parting lines.

Additionally, the Oldsmobile lettering, in scale, is so fime, and would be so thin in section as to frustrate a lot of modelers wishing to foil them--so that may well have been part of the decision as well.

Not an excuse, but certainly in the realm of possibility as reasons as to why no engraved scripts as you would have liked to see.

Art

It wouldn't be too tough to develop two levels of product using the same artwork: an all-out, everything-included set, and a basic set that includes only script/emblems, locks, and other exterior detail. By arranging the fret (or fretless/backed sheet) with the basic stuff all to one side, and everything else in a separate area, it is possible to produce varying proportions of basic/full detail sets once the level of demand has been established for each. A lot of guys don't buy the full detail PE sets as they exist now, because they look at the thing and figure that for $20 they won't use much of it. Someone just wanting to knock the molded-in script off of a kit body to make painting easier will purchase a basic set for $10 or $12, while those who want the grille, dash knobs, pedal pads and key rings will still spring for the full set. The loss of a few full-detail set sales would probably be more than offset by sales of the basic set to people who wouldn't have bought the more expensive full-detail set under any circumstances.

I don't know anyone who buys a kit for incidental items anymore. When retail prices were $12-$15, you could grab a new kit from a show vendor for $7-$10. Now that show prices for new kits start around $16, I cut that habit out pretty quick. If I get more than one of anything, I try to pick up the "first" kit from the LHS or at a show. Conversion donors or "parts kits" can come from one of the craft stores (provided they stock that kit of course), bought with a 40% off coupon to keep the cost down. Even then, the "parts kit" needs to have more than one set of wheels or an engine. And, there needs to be something tangible left over to sell, trade, or give away. I've also bought "leftovers" from slot car guys who use the bodies and related parts and don't need the rest, and even from those eBay "break up a kit and sell the parts" vendors.

• 6 months later...

Moebius is churning out several versions of the early 50's Hudsons. Sure wish someone would do just the scripts and emblems in photoetch.
Also, consider if photoetch not feasible, perhaps in decal form? We need... something.
I'm at a loss to understand why these few scripts / emblems were not added to the decal sheet.

Good the hear that MCG is going to be doing new products. I will admit, I'm somewhat selective as to what kits I'll get PE for. I usually reserve that for either kits I want to go all out on the details, or in the rare instance that I want to build a lower/higher trim lever or a different model of the vehicle in question. I have some their custom resin parts, too, like the chopped '32 Ford grille w/insert. I hope to see some more of those items as well.

Bill:
If you are referring to the statement (shared below) by Art Anderson, take it with a grain of salt. It was posted on 11/1/12. I don't really keep up on MCG products, have they intro'd new detail products since?
Hope I haven't missed any info.

"I talked by phone with Bob Korunow of Model Car Garage just a week ago: He told me that he's had to deal with some family situations (elderly parents, IIRC), which has gotten into his time for drawing up new products for photoetching, but things have settled down, so he's getting back to the important stuff in his life and business."

Bill:

If you are referring to the statement (shared below) by Art Anderson, take it with a grain of salt. It was posted on 11/1/12. I don't really keep up on MCG products, have they intro'd new detail products since?

Hope I haven't missed any info.

"I talked by phone with Bob Korunow of Model Car Garage just a week ago: He told me that he's had to deal with some family situations (elderly parents, IIRC), which has gotten into his time for drawing up new products for photoetching, but things have settled down, so he's getting back to the important stuff in his life and business."

Oops! I didn't look at the date Art had posted that!

I do know that Hobby Design is doing some PE for Revell kits, the '70 'Cuda, '69 Nova, '09 Challenger, and '10 Camaro. Perhaps they'll pick up the void and do more?