Model Cars Magazine Forum

Round 2 Grumpy Jenkins' 66 Nova

I know this kit has the steel wheels for the drag version, which "mag" wheels are in this version? The ones I bought years ago had the Cragar SS chrome 5 spokes and the box art on this release show ones that appear a little different from the Cragars.

I think I will have to get one of these, even if I already have several of the earlier ones!

I know this kit has the steel wheels for the drag version, which "mag" wheels are in this version? The ones I bought years ago had the Cragar SS chrome 5 spokes and the box art on this release show ones that appear a little different from the Cragars.

I think they'll be the same Cragar S/S wheels as in the previous non-Pro Street kits, but it looks like the stock, three-"spoke" wheel covers are now included, too: http://www.round2models.com/files/instructions/amt772.pdf

I think I will have to get one of these, even if I already have several of the earlier ones!

It's got the same Cragar SS the stock versions have always had...very nice, w/ the S/S cap detailing. Stock hubcaps also. One thing I noticed is it seems to have old tires...I don't recall what tires the original issue has, but this issue has the old AMT super skinny Firestones and some soft, hollow drag slicks.

Edited by Rob Hall

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently in the Grumpy’s Nova, there is one Goodyear slick, and one Racemaster slick.

Hmm...will have to check mine..I noticed there were two slicks, round and black...

Edit: Checked mine..indeed...the slicks are identical except for the names stamped on them--one has Goodyear on both sides and the other says Racemaster on both sides.

Edited by Rob Hall

Has anyone got this kit yet? I am especially interested in the seats. Based on the instructions they have a new plain bench seat and new plain back seat.

Yes, it has a new front Bench seat assorted with a new rear seat too.. very nice!!

And of course some new tool steelies to complete the base model look for the drag racer.

The only glitch, is the SS body trim(grille and tail panel) not a big deal to correct!!!

One of the most interesting kit i bought in 2013..

Hmm...will have to check mine..I noticed there were two slicks, round and black...

Edit: Checked mine..indeed...the slicks are identical except for the names stamped on them--one has Goodyear on both sides and the other says Racemaster on both sides.

My kit has two Racemaster slicks.

You might remember that AMT's recently reissued "Sock-It-To-Me" '62 Corvette was shipped *without* two (2) of its tires.

I bought two (2) of the kits; same problem on both.

Anyway, once AMT was informed of their goof-up, they offered to ship tires to their kit dealers for free, at the dealer's request. I made my LHS aware of this, and they got the tires for me ASAP.

Just make AMT aware of the problem; they'll fix it....

I think they'll be the same Cragar S/S wheels as in the previous non-Pro Street kits, but it looks like the stock, three-"spoke" wheel covers are now included, too: http://www.round2models.com/files/instructions/amt772.pdf

Weird piece of trivia about the stock wheel covers - they're way too flat to represent the Nova items, but that error makes them a near-perfect match for, of all things, the optional wheel covers for the '63 Olds Starfire!

• 2 weeks later...

It's got the same Cragar SS the stock versions have always had...very nice, w/ the S/S cap detailing. Stock hubcaps also. One thing I noticed is it seems to have old tires...I don't recall what tires the original issue has, but this issue has the old AMT super skinny Firestones and some soft, hollow drag slicks.

Actually, the "Restomod" version had something similar to Cragar 398 Chrome Soft 8. Being a "restomod" you would think that it would have provisions for lowering (at least the front) a bit more. That version also had a set of racing seats but, I can't remember if they were Recarro, Sparco, no name or what. Nevertheless, plan on picking up a couple of the Grumpy's Toy issue and a couple cowl hoods from ebay.

Edited by Skydime

• 1 month later...

Santa brought me this kit Yesterday. :D

Since I haven't seen more pictures about this kit's parts, I decided to take some pics and post them here. Not the best quality, but I guess you'll see what this kit includes.

Just a couple of notes that I made with a fast look... First the tire problem, yes, I got one Good Year and one Racemaster as well. But I will be sanding the textes away and putting Racemaster decals on the tires so that won't be a big problem. The Newly Tooled seats and wheels are really nice. They will look good once painted and detailed. There is quite a lot of mold flash, but it just needs to be removed. Only really bad thing was that at least in my copy, the window trim is very light and there is a danger that it will disappear under the paint. Just needs to spray thin paint coats and BMF before clear coat I guess. I think that the decal sheet is super nice. This will be an interesting build for sure, and I might start a WIP thread on the Drag Racing Models section at some point...

Anyway if anyone wants better pics of some parts, just let me know and I can do that. But in the meanwhile, here you go: http://public.fotki.com/NostalgicDrag/amt-66-grumpys-toy-nova/

Got my first kit for Christmas too. I'd been looking for it in Hobby Lobby to pick one up myself, then I realized they must not carry it because of the number on the quarter panels. Anyway, mine had two Racemaster tires. However, it looked like a two year old picked them off the tire tree. :( Oh well, not gonna use em anyway.

Somebody at the factory screwed up the mold halves for the slicks, they're supposed to have Goodyear on one side and Racemaster on the other and the builder chooses which side faces out. But they put the mold haves together so each tire has the same brand on both sides. Looks like now they're just running double the amount of tires and throwing the Goodyears out.

• 2 months later...

I'm haing a time finding underhood shots of just what the Grump had going on. The instructions don't give that info. How stock was A/S? I know there weren't hood scoops and tunnel rams, so would it have been the single 4bbl on an alu intake with a velocity stack? Or were they required to have the air cleaner iin place?

I'm haing a time finding underhood shots of just what the Grump had going on. The instructions don't give that info. How stock was A/S? I know there weren't hood scoops and tunnel rams, so would it have been the single 4bbl on an alu intake with a velocity stack? Or were they required to have the air cleaner iin place?

This thread has lots of good information about the engine: http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=83254 . You'll need some scratchbuilding to make it accurate, but I guess it's nothing impossible...